• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendation for a pistol for my daughter

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I like the Bersa Thunder .380 for a young lady. It is affordable, reliable, decent recoil, concealable, lightweight, looks nice, fits in a small hand, and excellent safety features. The grip is also small enough for a lady's hands. This assumes she has the strength to rack a slide. Some ladys do not. It is also easy to field strip and clean. They are also available in 9mm if you prefer, but I recommend the .380 because it is the proven bread and butter pistol for the Bersa company.

Bersa is one the guns that I usually suggest....

Its a great gun.

Docgmt

My Daughter likes her M&P 9c easier recoil than some and the changeable back strap fit her hands. 10 & 12 round mags, 12 w/ finger rest. The full size 17's fit which is good for target shooting.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Why are you limiting her to a .50 cal SHORT?

LOL

my apologies. This should suffice.

64263.jpg

Dreamer

There is only ONE gun that you should buy for a female--the gun she WANTS.

Take her to a range that rents a wide variety of guns,and let her try a bunch of different ones. Let her handle a bunch at a gun shop first, to sort of narrow down the ones that "feel right" to her hand.

Buying a gun for a woman is like trying to buy shoes for a woman--the one you choose as a man will ALWAYS be the wrong one. You need to determine which one she likes, can shoot comfortably, and fits her hand.

Good luck, and Carry On!

JoeSparky

Centurion
There is only ONE gun that you should buy for a female--the gun she WANTS.

Take her to a range that rents a wide variety of guns,and let her try a bunch of different ones. Let her handle a bunch at a gun shop first, to sort of narrow down the ones that "feel right" to her hand.

Buying a gun for a woman is like trying to buy shoes for a woman--the one you choose as a man will ALWAYS be the wrong one. You need to determine which one she likes, can shoot comfortably, and fits her hand.

Good luck, and Carry On!

Without sarcasms or attempts at humor...

exactly, one that she ----

wants,
will use appropriately,
will practice with,
that she will be proficient with,
that she is proud to own,
clean,
carry,
use,
and value!

Steeler-gal

Buying daughter handgun for Christmas: ~$250-$600.

Sharing with daughter the process of research, handling, shooting, selecting and then buying her best-suited handgun for Christmas: Priceless!

JMHO...

TFred

I agree with this. I thought about buying one for my mom for Christmas. She wants one but doesn't know what she wants. I decided I'd rather buy her what she wants and is comfortable with rather than what I think she'd like.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
After trying a number of pistols and revolvers on for size and comparing features, my oldest daughter went for the Bersa Thunder, and now my youngest one has followed suit. They actually go out to thier local ranges and shoot with their boyfriends. No word as to who does the best. The point is, these pistols are comfortable in most women's hands, have manageable recoils and are very reliable. Now if only they would carry more! It wouldn't matter what type of firearm they had. The styles for the "younger generation" usually include tight jeans or slacks. Carrying a decent size purse is also not in style, so I'm told. My oldest lives in SC which is "no OC" and my youngest, though living here, has only OC'd once that I know of and isn't inclined to do so regularly. I hate to say this, but it might take a close call or something worse before either or both say "Screw it, I'm gonna carry all the time if I have to duct tape the sucker to my hip". At least they always have a working forearm at home and in the car, so they aren't always defenseless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I hate to say this, but it might take a close call or something worse before either or both say "Screw it, I'm gonna carry all the time if I have to duct tape the sucker to my hip". .

That's what it took for my daughter. She went camping with her husband who went off on his mountain bike. In the meantime a couple of locals in a pickup truck came by and I don't know what they said or did but it scared her enough to call me.

I drove 60 miles to see them drive off, wheels spinning, when I got out with an AK.

She has carried the little Detonics I gave her since.

TFred

That's what it took for my daughter. She went camping with her husband who went off on his mountain bike. In the meantime a couple of locals in a pickup truck came by and I don't know what they said or did but it scared her enough to call me.

I drove 60 miles to see them drive off, wheels spinning, when I got out with an AK.

She has carried the little Detonics I gave her since.
I'd buy a ticket for a video of that encounter... and it is rather scary that they hung around for the 40 minutes it took you to get there...

TFred

Red Dawg

I'd buy a ticket for a video of that encounter... and it is rather scary that they hung around for the 40 minutes it took you to get there...

TFred

Goes to show that they obviously weren't too bright. Like you, I'd loved to see their faces, before they started tearing out...The ahh shizz factor...Because we all also know the toy on his hip isn't any smaller.

Marco

said:
I hate to say this, but it might take a close call or something worse before [they say,] "Screw it, I'm gonna carry all the time if I have to duct tape the sucker to my hip".

My mother started carrying after a close call incident:
She called me the next mornng to tell me about the incident and told me she never felt more helpless.
Within a week of the incident she enrolled in a basic firearms class, since getting her permit her and my stepdad have taken a few classes at Front site.
Her daily carry is a Keltec PF-9, she started with a Keltec P-11 but wanted something a little slimmer and she has added a laser sight as she needs tri focals.

Last edited:

Coolman

Well I got her a MP9,after a 4 day instant back ground ck. We will go try it out Mon.

If she doesn't like it I guess I can always use it. Also got my son a 12 gauge pump. Thanks for all your help.

tcmech

Let us know how the m&p works for you guys, did you buy your son a hunting gun or a tactical type shotgun?