Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: well finally got stopped at wally world

well finally got stopped at wally world

So i decided to go to walmart to check on some ammo for my ar and 22 so i went and it was crowded. So i drove around to the service dept entrance to go in plus its closer to sporting goods. Well i walk in the door and knod to the guy at the register and almost made it around the corner when i heard a loud EXCUSE ME SIR, so i stopped turned around and walked over to him and ask if there was a problem. And it went like this

Guy- are you an officer
    Me- no sir
    Guy- do you have a ccp
    Me- no sir
    Guy- well i dont think you can have a firearm in here, hold tight let me call a managet
    Me- no problem
    In the meantime a tire tech sticks his nosey head through the window, he will be guy 2
    Guy2- ohh nope he cant carry that in here
    Me- is it posted anywere
    Guy2- yep at the front door
    Me- well it wasnt the other day when i came in and i didnt use the front door today
    Guy2 well you cant because we have a bank and we sell firearms
    Me- i go on to explain open carry state blah blah
    Guy2 well what are you going to by
    Me- ammo and some other items (as if its any of his business)
    Guy2 ohh no you deffinatly cant have it in here then with a smirk
    Me- ok
    So guy one say just a minute the manager is on the way back
    I say thank you
    So 2 manegers come back a fellow who was the store manager stands about 15 ft in front of me while the asst manager a nice lady say sir i think you are fine i say thank you and continue with my day.

Well i brought my items back to tle to check out, guy1 rang me up and i proceded to the door that we all know is locked from the inside unless they hit the button. Well guy2 and his coworkers are standing right beside the door watching me the whole time and wouldnt open the door, so guy1 runs over to the button. I open the door and tell mister know it all and his buddies to have a nice day. Well as i get to the parking lot i hear them bust out laughing, it took alot not to turn around and ask if they had a problem but i held off and left.

I think I would have gone back in and had a little chat about harassing behavior with the nice lady manager about her hyenas in the back. Totally unacceptable for them to laugh at you. Some people don't realize that for a job like that there are 50 other people in line for their job. Otherwise, you handled it well. I can't say I would have been as passive.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

I thought about it but when it comes down to it, hes an idiot i won he lost, mabey next time he'll keep his mouth shut. The manager did stay behind and talked to the dept manager. The thing that pissed me off was the fact he asked me what i was gonna buy.

I'm with G30Mike. I also wouldn't have told him what I planned to buy; instead I would have asked him personal questions that he most likely wouldn't have answered.

Thumbs up for keeping your cool, and I'm glad the manager handled the situation professionally.

Just curious which walmart this was... Unreal

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

It was the Monroe walmart on 74, i was in there thursday carrying and looked at another ar they had in stock and chatted with the clerk with no problems. All in all it wasnt bad just one person that thinks they know everything wanting to but in, everyone else was nice

The funny thing about the comments they made is the bank thing. Now that December 1 has passed, not only is OC legal in banks in NC, but CC is also legal (if you have a permit) so that guy at the tire counter is doubly stupid.

There are NO state or federal laws prohibiting carry in places that sell firearms. If that was the case, then every gun store and pawn shop in NC would be in violation, because of their staff carrying, and most of their OC-friendly policies.

I think you handled it well. But I agree with a previous poster. I would have taken my stuff to the car, gone back in and asked for the manager, and then let her know about how her employees harassed me on my exit.

I would have also given her a "NC Gun Rights" flyer at the first encounter, and let her know that I would be reporting my experience on a NATIONAL gun rights forum with tens of thousands of members, after teh second encounter...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Handled very well. Stay positive, and continue to OC.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    I'm with G30Mike. I also wouldn't have told him what I planned to buy
    Agreed. Last I checked, Walmart welcomes all kinds of shoppers including window shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The funny thing about the comments they made is the bank thing. Now that December 1 has passed, not only is OC legal in banks in NC, but CC is also legal (if you have a permit) so that guy at the tire counter is doubly stupid.
    About that, does one have to have their CHP to open carry in a bank?

No. CHP only required if you CC. Be sure to check any signage; mine (Wells Fargo) is OK for OC/CC.

First South banks in Nash county has signs. What I find interesting about banks is what good is a sign going to do when only the bad guys have the guns.
    Last edited by 94 at Large; 12-18-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: when, when situation....unable to correct

Quote Originally Posted by eman223 View Post
    Guy2 well what are you going to by.
    "Tampons, what of it?"

Since this bank is inside Walmart, even before Dec 1 carry in WM would not have been prohibited...just inside the bank area itself...if there is an "inside" the bank area. If the bank is literally just a hole in the wall then bank customers are still on WM's floor.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

There are NO state or federal laws prohibiting carry in places that sell firearms. If that was the case, then every gun store and pawn shop in NC would be in violation, because of their staff carrying, and most of their OC-friendly policies.

I think you handled it well. But I agree with a previous poster. I would have taken my stuff to the car, gone back in and asked for the manager, and then let her know about how her employees harassed me on my exit.

I would have also given her a "NC Gun Rights" flyer at the first encounter, and let her know that I would be reporting my experience on a NATIONAL gun rights forum with tens of thousands of members, after teh second encounter...
    Dreamer,

I'm sure you're right as usual, but could you point to that statute because I didn't recall seeing that CC change with Banks in the HB 650...I suppose I missed it. I know it was a bill we were trying to pass, but didn't recall if it made it through.

Links would help, Thanks!

Time for a little education for the friggn peanut gallery:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/16120083/g...riday-shoppers

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local...k-at-walgreens

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2812168/posts

I would've gone back in and "educated" the supervisor as she's supposedly in charge of her "subordinates".

Lack of leadership needs to be exposed to possibly save lives in this instance.

Unacceptable by the Wally leadership. Follow up needed.

CC in banks/financial institutions

Quote Originally Posted by farkles View Post
    Dreamer,

I'm sure you're right as usual, but could you point to that statute because I didn't recall seeing that CC change with Banks in the HB 650...I suppose I missed it. I know it was a bill we were trying to pass, but didn't recall if it made it through.

Links would help, Thanks!
    Try this one: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/B...PDF/H650v5.pdf
    Look at Section 14 (14-415.11); previous wordings/restrictions are lined out. This is the version Gov. Perdue signed.

Why be so confrontational? Just say, oh okay I will leave it in the car next time. Make your purchase and leave.
    You may have the right to carry but if an employee says you can't carry and asks you to leave it is game over so no point to argue.
    That will just lead to a no weapons sign on the door so nobody can carry in there.

Chances are you will not see them again anyway, employment churn at Walmart is like every 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Sky1; 12-30-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
    Why be so confrontational? Just say, oh okay I will leave it in the car next time. Make your purchase and leave.
    You may have the right to carry but if an employee says you can't carry and asks you to leave it is game over so no point to argue.
    That will just lead to a no weapons sign on the door so nobody can carry in there.

Chances are you will not see them again anyway, employment churn at Walmart is like every 2 weeks.
    No, an employee does not have the authority to do that. It has to be a manager, and even then, that goes against Walmart Corporate policy. If asked to leave by a manager, you should, to avoid trespassing charges, but that does not mean it is right, or that it will lead to signs.

But hey, feel free to give up YOUR rights anytime some tells you to.

No, an employee does not have the authority to do that. It has to be a manager, and even then, that goes against Walmart Corporate policy. If asked to leave by a manager, you should, to avoid trespassing charges, but that does not mean it is right, or that it will lead to signs.

But hey, feel free to give up YOUR rights anytime some tells you to.
    It doesn't have to be a manager.

Scenario: You go into a gas station and there's one employee working. The employee is not a manager, just a part time cashier. The cashier says that you may not have the gun inside. Your choices then are to take the gun outside, or face possible trespassing charges. No manager has to be present for the cashier to tell you that your gun is not allowed inside.

Even if there is no posting and the corporate policy is to allow for carrying inside, you must take your gun out of the establishment upon request. The situation may be addressed and fixed later, but at the moment you are told by the employee that you cannot have your gun inside, you have to remove it from the premises.

Naturally, when confronted by an employee at a business where more than one employee is working and a manager is present, the decision will default to the manager most likely.

Standing there and arguing with an employee or manager after being told that your gun is not welcome there is not prudent. You may be 100% correct in telling them that their corporate policy allows for carrying, but the law is pretty clear on this one. If asked to take it out, you must do so, or face possible trespassing charges. It's better to remove yourself from the store and deal with the situation through their corporate or local business offices than it is to be arguing on the scene. The situation can turn ugly very fast if police are called and show up. All the police really have to do is ask the employee or manager if they asked you to take it outside. If you didn't comply, you have just exposed yourself to being charged.

One can stand up for their "rights" all they want, but our rights under the 2A do not trump the rights of property owners, business owners, or their representatives. The rights of property owners and business owners were one of the main reasons that the "Parking Lot Bill" provisions were taken out of HB 650 before it passed.

If we want people to respect our rights, we have to be willing to respect theirs.

In the OP, it's clear that it's some select employees opinions that were in play there as opposed to a corporate policy. The situation would be better remedied if the OP complied with any request to leave, and then later take it up with the corporate offices for resolution. Be sure to make a written statement of what happened and include names, store departments, time of day, etc, to narrow the focus right down to the actual people involved. Make a formal complaint and then be sure to follow the matter through written correspondence until the matter is completely resolved.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 12-31-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Well put, Rotorhead, and yes, you are right. In a scenario where a manager is not present, like a smaller store or gas station, you should comply with the employee. Our rights do not trump property rights.
    But a door greeter or cashier at Wal-mart does not trump my rights either. If I were asked to leave, I would ask to speak to a manager, and if still asked to leave, I would comply, then take the issue up with corporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
    ... if an employee says you can't carry...
    That's not what I read happened. The employee said "I don't think you can...." and never asked him to leave because of it, only asked him to wait for a manager. At which point, IMO, he even could have said: "I won't wait, but you can have the manager meet me in the sporting goods department."

I think he handled it well, considering. And I hope he doesn't rest until the hyenas are fired.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I was never asked to leave by anyone, otherwise i would have complied and taken it up with corporate. my problem was mainley the one employee thinking that they knew the policy and talking out of his a$$. Being a former walmart employee myself years ago, i know that theyre ok with it. I carry a firearm as protection, not as a coversation piece or to push legal limits

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab
    "Tampons, what of it?"
    Funny either way, but more effective when the idiot employee is a younger male & the customer being harassed is a more adult woman.
    Most men are squeamish that way.
    (My last fiancee was an engineer for a mega conglomerate that, among other things, made "feminine products"*, so he's an exception.)
    ((*I think a Glock is a feminine product, esp. the subcompacts, but his company made paper products.))
    Better yet, "tampons & ammunition... why do you ask?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sky1
    Why be so confrontational? Just say, oh okay I will leave it in the car next time.
    How is expecting the employee to follow state law & corporate policy, or even explaining said laws & policies, confrontational?

And since you are yet another anti-carry troll, you obviously won't understand the problems from doing what you recommend, but I'll take a shot:
    1) Handling gun in parking lot --> ND
    2) Handling gun in parking lot --> MWAG call
    3) Leaving gun in car --> theft --> BG having gun
    4) It encourages the minimum-wage employee to think s/he is allowed to make corporate-level decisions
    5) It encourages the minimum-wage employee to think s/he knows the truth about the law & corporate policy
    6) Why help them deny civil rights to their other customers?
    7) Why would I spend money somewhere that doesn't want me as a customer?

Quote Originally Posted by troll
    Make your purchase and leave.
    See #7.

You may have the right to carry
    We do have the right.

if an employee says you can't carry and asks you to leave it is game over
    If the objectionable employee is the de facto manager, as in the gas station example above, yes.
    In the situation given by the OP, and in most other stores, no way. The manager might be able to make that decision. The owner & corporate legal department certainly can.

No WallyWorld that I know of has kept one once corporate was notified about it.
    Generally the offending sign comes down quickly & often the customer gets an apologetic call from the manager.

That's usually what happens once managers are made aware of employees like the originals the OP ran into.

BTW, I support the idea of writing corporate to complain about their behaviour. All of it, but especially making fun of you & not providing customer service as you left.
    Out of curiosity, how many people have the WM 800# in their cell phone for times like this?
    That would probably be pretty effective too, if it was during their "normal business hours".
    Last edited by MKEgal; 12-31-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Well put, Rotorhead, and yes, you are right. In a scenario where a manager is not present, like a smaller store or gas station, you should comply with the employee. Our rights do not trump property rights.
    But a door greeter or cashier at Wal-mart does not trump my rights either. If I were asked to leave, I would ask to speak to a manager, and if still asked to leave, I would comply, then take the issue up with corporate.
    Amen, Sistah.

There's nothing wrong with asking for a person who is senior to an employee or one in a leadership position to clear the matter up.

I'm usually pretty direct when confronted by employees in this manner. I'll ask for a manager to decide if there's one available. I'm not going to discuss things with someone who is completely ignorant of the law or seems to have an agenda. I just want to know if I can go in or not. All I'm asking for is a clear, definitive answer one way or the other. Based on the answer, I'll either leave or continue my shopping.

Aside from all of this, I do wish that you and all here have a great New Year's celebration and many more positive encounters in the year ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by eman223 View Post
    my problem was mainley the one employee thinking that they knew the policy and talking out of his a$$.
    The employee is 100% right about NOT carrying a firearm on Walmart property. It is in the employee handbook. The problem is that we are not employees and don't have to follow the employee handbook. Some people/employees think just because they cant carry neither can you. For them its a blurred line.

This time of year if anyone at walmart give you crap about OC, go through the bull then make sure they see you check out with a crowbar and a ski mask.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast