• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

well finally got stopped at wally world

eman223

So i decided to go to walmart to check on some ammo for my ar and 22 so i went and it was crowded. So i drove around to the service dept entrance to go in plus its closer to sporting goods. Well i walk in the door and knod to the guy at the register and almost made it around the corner when i heard a loud EXCUSE ME SIR, so i stopped turned around and walked over to him and ask if there was a problem. And it went like this

Guy- are you an officer
Me- no sir
Guy- do you have a ccp
Me- no sir
Guy- well i dont think you can have a firearm in here, hold tight let me call a managet
Me- no problem
In the meantime a tire tech sticks his nosey head through the window, he will be guy 2
Guy2- ohh nope he cant carry that in here
Me- is it posted anywere
Guy2- yep at the front door
Me- well it wasnt the other day when i came in and i didnt use the front door today
Guy2 well you cant because we have a bank and we sell firearms
Me- i go on to explain open carry state blah blah
Guy2 well what are you going to by
Me- ammo and some other items (as if its any of his business)
Guy2 ohh no you deffinatly cant have it in here then with a smirk
Me- ok
So guy one say just a minute the manager is on the way back
I say thank you
So 2 manegers come back a fellow who was the store manager stands about 15 ft in front of me while the asst manager a nice lady say sir i think you are fine i say thank you and continue with my day.

Well i brought my items back to tle to check out, guy1 rang me up and i proceded to the door that we all know is locked from the inside unless they hit the button. Well guy2 and his coworkers are standing right beside the door watching me the whole time and wouldnt open the door, so guy1 runs over to the button. I open the door and tell mister know it all and his buddies to have a nice day. Well as i get to the parking lot i hear them bust out laughing, it took alot not to turn around and ask if they had a problem but i held off and left.

G30Mike

I think I would have gone back in and had a little chat about harassing behavior with the nice lady manager about her hyenas in the back. Totally unacceptable for them to laugh at you. Some people don't realize that for a job like that there are 50 other people in line for their job. Otherwise, you handled it well. I can't say I would have been as passive.:D

eman223

I thought about it but when it comes down to it, hes an idiot i won he lost, mabey next time he'll keep his mouth shut. The manager did stay behind and talked to the dept manager. The thing that pissed me off was the fact he asked me what i was gonna buy.

PistolPackingMomma

I'm with G30Mike. I also wouldn't have told him what I planned to buy; instead I would have asked him personal questions that he most likely wouldn't have answered.

Thumbs up for keeping your cool, and I'm glad the manager handled the situation professionally.

eman223

It was the Monroe walmart on 74, i was in there thursday carrying and looked at another ar they had in stock and chatted with the clerk with no problems. All in all it wasnt bad just one person that thinks they know everything wanting to but in, everyone else was nice

Dreamer

The funny thing about the comments they made is the bank thing. Now that December 1 has passed, not only is OC legal in banks in NC, but CC is also legal (if you have a permit) so that guy at the tire counter is doubly stupid.

There are NO state or federal laws prohibiting carry in places that sell firearms. If that was the case, then every gun store and pawn shop in NC would be in violation, because of their staff carrying, and most of their OC-friendly policies.

I think you handled it well. But I agree with a previous poster. I would have taken my stuff to the car, gone back in and asked for the manager, and then let her know about how her employees harassed me on my exit.

I would have also given her a "NC Gun Rights" flyer at the first encounter, and let her know that I would be reporting my experience on a NATIONAL gun rights forum with tens of thousands of members, after teh second encounter...

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I'm with G30Mike. I also wouldn't have told him what I planned to buy

Agreed. Last I checked, Walmart welcomes all kinds of shoppers including window shoppers.

The funny thing about the comments they made is the bank thing. Now that December 1 has passed, not only is OC legal in banks in NC, but CC is also legal (if you have a permit) so that guy at the tire counter is doubly stupid.

About that, does one have to have their CHP to open carry in a bank?

94 at Large

First South banks in Nash county has signs. What I find interesting about banks is what good is a sign going to do when only the bad guys have the guns.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

Guy2 well what are you going to by.

"Tampons, what of it?" :rolleyes:

Since this bank is inside Walmart, even before Dec 1 carry in WM would not have been prohibited...just inside the bank area itself...if there is an "inside" the bank area. If the bank is literally just a hole in the wall then bank customers are still on WM's floor.

farkles

There are NO state or federal laws prohibiting carry in places that sell firearms. If that was the case, then every gun store and pawn shop in NC would be in violation, because of their staff carrying, and most of their OC-friendly policies.

I think you handled it well. But I agree with a previous poster. I would have taken my stuff to the car, gone back in and asked for the manager, and then let her know about how her employees harassed me on my exit.

I would have also given her a "NC Gun Rights" flyer at the first encounter, and let her know that I would be reporting my experience on a NATIONAL gun rights forum with tens of thousands of members, after teh second encounter...

Dreamer,

I'm sure you're right as usual, but could you point to that statute because I didn't recall seeing that CC change with Banks in the HB 650...I suppose I missed it. I know it was a bill we were trying to pass, but didn't recall if it made it through.

Links would help, Thanks!

razor_baghdad

Time for a little education for the friggn peanut gallery:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/16120083/...all-and-sc-walmart-with-black-friday-shoppers

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/marion_county/woman-shot-in-the-neck-at-walgreens

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2812168/posts

I would've gone back in and "educated" the supervisor as she's supposedly in charge of her "subordinates".

Lack of leadership needs to be exposed to possibly save lives in this instance.

Unacceptable by the Wally leadership. Follow up needed.

bc.cruiser

CC in banks/financial institutions

Dreamer,

I'm sure you're right as usual, but could you point to that statute because I didn't recall seeing that CC change with Banks in the HB 650...I suppose I missed it. I know it was a bill we were trying to pass, but didn't recall if it made it through.

Links would help, Thanks!

Try this one: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v5.pdf
Look at Section 14 (14-415.11); previous wordings/restrictions are lined out. This is the version Gov. Perdue signed.

Sky1

Why be so confrontational? Just say, oh okay I will leave it in the car next time. Make your purchase and leave.
You may have the right to carry but if an employee says you can't carry and asks you to leave it is game over so no point to argue.
That will just lead to a no weapons sign on the door so nobody can carry in there.

Chances are you will not see them again anyway, employment churn at Walmart is like every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Why be so confrontational? Just say, oh okay I will leave it in the car next time. Make your purchase and leave.
You may have the right to carry but if an employee says you can't carry and asks you to leave it is game over so no point to argue.
That will just lead to a no weapons sign on the door so nobody can carry in there.

Chances are you will not see them again anyway, employment churn at Walmart is like every 2 weeks.

No, an employee does not have the authority to do that. It has to be a manager, and even then, that goes against Walmart Corporate policy. If asked to leave by a manager, you should, to avoid trespassing charges, but that does not mean it is right, or that it will lead to signs.

But hey, feel free to give up YOUR rights anytime some tells you to.

rotorhead

No, an employee does not have the authority to do that. It has to be a manager, and even then, that goes against Walmart Corporate policy. If asked to leave by a manager, you should, to avoid trespassing charges, but that does not mean it is right, or that it will lead to signs.

But hey, feel free to give up YOUR rights anytime some tells you to.

It doesn't have to be a manager.

Scenario: You go into a gas station and there's one employee working. The employee is not a manager, just a part time cashier. The cashier says that you may not have the gun inside. Your choices then are to take the gun outside, or face possible trespassing charges. No manager has to be present for the cashier to tell you that your gun is not allowed inside.

Even if there is no posting and the corporate policy is to allow for carrying inside, you must take your gun out of the establishment upon request. The situation may be addressed and fixed later, but at the moment you are told by the employee that you cannot have your gun inside, you have to remove it from the premises.

Naturally, when confronted by an employee at a business where more than one employee is working and a manager is present, the decision will default to the manager most likely.

Standing there and arguing with an employee or manager after being told that your gun is not welcome there is not prudent. You may be 100% correct in telling them that their corporate policy allows for carrying, but the law is pretty clear on this one. If asked to take it out, you must do so, or face possible trespassing charges. It's better to remove yourself from the store and deal with the situation through their corporate or local business offices than it is to be arguing on the scene. The situation can turn ugly very fast if police are called and show up. All the police really have to do is ask the employee or manager if they asked you to take it outside. If you didn't comply, you have just exposed yourself to being charged.

One can stand up for their "rights" all they want, but our rights under the 2A do not trump the rights of property owners, business owners, or their representatives. The rights of property owners and business owners were one of the main reasons that the "Parking Lot Bill" provisions were taken out of HB 650 before it passed.

If we want people to respect our rights, we have to be willing to respect theirs.

In the OP, it's clear that it's some select employees opinions that were in play there as opposed to a corporate policy. The situation would be better remedied if the OP complied with any request to leave, and then later take it up with the corporate offices for resolution. Be sure to make a written statement of what happened and include names, store departments, time of day, etc, to narrow the focus right down to the actual people involved. Make a formal complaint and then be sure to follow the matter through written correspondence until the matter is completely resolved.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Well put, Rotorhead, and yes, you are right. In a scenario where a manager is not present, like a smaller store or gas station, you should comply with the employee. Our rights do not trump property rights.
But a door greeter or cashier at Wal-mart does not trump my rights either. If I were asked to leave, I would ask to speak to a manager, and if still asked to leave, I would comply, then take the issue up with corporate.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... if an employee says you can't carry...

That's not what I read happened. The employee said "I don't think you can...." and never asked him to leave because of it, only asked him to wait for a manager. At which point, IMO, he even could have said: "I won't wait, but you can have the manager meet me in the sporting goods department."

I think he handled it well, considering. And I hope he doesn't rest until the hyenas are fired.