• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone else keep getting a virus from the forum?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I am seeing "Windows 7 Antispyware 2012" it was a real SOB to kill and remove, so be careful.

The first thing it does is shuts down Microsoft security essentials, it starts is a prompt to update a java program, SO DO NOT UPDATE JAVA, you're allowing the virus by doing that.

PM me if you need more help removing this crap./

Captain Nemo

Nutczak:

Are you able to run system restore. [Start] [Run] C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then OK

If you can, then restoring to a date prior to the date of infection usually solves a lot of this junk.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Get Alerts On Both Of My Computers From Various Windows That Try To Open

I use Avast Professional and yes, I do get alerts on my desktop and laptop when certain sites try to open. Avast stops them so I don't worry about it. Avast states something about a Trojan Horse....and that it was stopped. It isn't just this forum though, it happens on many forums.

MKEgal

Some people on the WI Carry FB page were talking about this same thing.
Luckily, I don't like Java so have never allowed it to update. Should just remove the thing.
Thought that you had to download or open an attachment to be infected?
(I'm occasionally technologically inept.)

One person recommended malwarebytes, another said AVG (IIRC).
I downloaded the first (free), ran it, & it found a virus the other 2 that are supposed to be protecting my machine hadn't caught.

Motofixxer

Malwarebytes is a good tool, also Spybot. Many times they will find each other though. Another tip is use Firefox with the addon Adblock plus. It helps with some of those ads, and links to other sites etc. If you really want to avoid all that use a different Operating system like a version of Linux such as Kubuntu, LinuxMint or use a Mac.

goforlow

Go to www.malwarebytes.org , download the program. have the icon on your desktop. run the program. if it doesn't allow you to, boot your machine in "safe-mode" and you should be able to run it from there.

I use that program religiously! It has been able to fix a lot of problems on numerous computers. I also use the Avast antivirus program mentioned before. These are 2 very very good programs to have on you computer.

good luck!

thieltech

I am seeing "Windows 7 Antispyware 2012" it was a real SOB to kill and remove, so be careful.

The first thing it does is shuts down Microsoft security essentials, it starts is a prompt to update a java program, SO DO NOT UPDATE JAVA, you're allowing the virus by doing that.

PM me if you need more help removing this crap./

i keep getting this same exact virus and i have microsoft essentials as well ,alot of times it wont find the virus and i have to restore my computer to a earlier version . im starting to get tired of it real quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:....

also i have been able to get microsoft essentials running by starting it in adminastrative mode , but it doesnt always find the virus even once its running and does a full scan

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Lesson to the wise: Keep your security software updated religiously. Every day. Multiple times a day if you do alot of internet-ing. It is entirely possible for you to catch a newly created or mutated virus before your software company's researchers find the virus and include its fingerprint/definition in your updates so your software to recognize it and prevent its entry into your computer. Its really just a matter of who gets to your computer first--the update that recognizes a new or new variation of a virus, or the virus itself.

Do lotsa updating if you suspect a virus is around.

I'll PM John that we seem to have a virus floating around here somewhere.

Last edited:

Greg Bradburn

Nutczak:

Are you able to run system restore. [Start] [Run] C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then OK

If you can, then restoring to a date prior to the date of infection usually solves a lot of this junk.

I had that virus (did not get it from this site though) and no, I could not restore to a previous restore point. I think the virus actually removed all my restore points.

After several failed attempts to boot in safemode, boot from various "rescue" cds, etc. I finally took the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure (effectively making it a portable drive) and attached it to my laptop and reformatted it. I then put it back in my desktop and reinstalled the OS and all my software.

thieltech

im almost afford to back my hard drive up to my external hard drive till i know this virus is gone , my luck it will effect all my files and ill lose everything ... i normally back up once a day ,since i save all my pictures and files to my computer daily

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I believe that FirearmIinstructor got hit with this and is having problems

im almost afford to back my hard drive up to my external hard drive till i know this virus is gone , my luck it will effect all my files and ill lose everything ... i normally back up once a day ,since i save all my pictures and files to my computer daily

I am running a linux operating system, so I do not have to worry about those Microsoft vulnerabilities. FirearmIinstructor thought that he got it from an overseas source in a video.

Baked on Grease

Most of these viruses you see here are usually not from the site, but from an ad banner the site is linking to.

First, good anti virus/spyware is a must.
Second, don't EVER use Internet Explorer.
Third, with your third party browser (Firefox or Chrome) get an Ad-Block addon.
You will see pages load alot faster because all those ads won't load. You can't get a virus from an ad because they aren't there. And finally the pages are alot cleaner and nicer looking because, you guessed it, the ads aren't there!

Oh yeah, if I didn't mention it earlier, DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER.

That takes care of 90% of viruses out there.

Sent using tapatalk

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Some Facts About Carrier IQ | Electronic Frontiers Foundation EFF.org

Sent using tapatalk
LOL Anti-virus advice sent from an OS with a virus/rootkit OEM installed - Carrier IQ

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/12/carrier-iq-architecture
By Peter Eckersley said:
There has been a rolling scandal about the Carrier IQ software installed by cell phone companies on 150 million phones, mostly within the United States. Subjects of outright disagreement have included the nature of the program, what information it actually collects, and under what circumstances. This post will attempt to explain Carrier IQ's architecture, and why apparently conflicting statements about it are in some instances simultaneously correct. The information in this post has been synthesised from sources including Trevor Eckhart, Ashkan Soltani, Dan Rosenberg, and Carrier IQ itself.

First, when people talk about "Carrier IQ," they can be referring to several different things. For clarity, I will give them each a number. You can think of senses 2, 3 and 4 as being "layers" of code that are wrapped around each other.

The company, Carrier IQ, Inc.;
a core software library that is written by Carrier IQ Inc. and which is present on all of the 150 million handsets;
a Carrier IQ application or program running on a phone, which includes the software in layer 2, but also additional porting code written by handset manufacturers (sometimes called "original equipment manufacturers" or "OEMs"), mobile network operators ("telcos"), or baseband chipset manufacturers;
the entire Carrier IQ stack, which includes the program described above as layer 3, but also often includes other code within a phone's Operating System and Baseband Processor OS to send data to layer 3. Like layer 3, this code is written by handset manufacturers, telcos or baseband manufacturers.
More, with graphics.

Last edited:

thieltech

Most of these viruses you see here are usually not from the site, but from an ad banner the site is linking to.

First, good anti virus/spyware is a must.
Second, don't EVER use Internet Explorer.
Third, with your third party browser (Firefox or Chrome) get an Ad-Block addon.
You will see pages load alot faster because all those ads won't load. You can't get a virus from an ad because they aren't there. And finally the pages are alot cleaner and nicer looking because, you guessed it, the ads aren't there!

Oh yeah, if I didn't mention it earlier, DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER.

That takes care of 90% of viruses out there.

Sent using tapatalk

wow ive never used anything but internet explore . can i just download firefox and then delete internet explore ? and what about all my favorites ? ? im guessing im going to lose all them

H

Herr Heckler Koch

wow ive never used anything but internet explore . can i just download firefox and then delete internet explore ? and what about all my favorites ? ? im guessing im going to lose all them
No. Two clicks to export 'favorites' to the desktop and import into any functional browser. That excepts IExx that I don't believe can be removed from the Windoze OS.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

You can't delete internet explorer (I don't think), and even if you could, I wouldn't recommend it just in case you need access a site that isn't compatible with anything else (which is rare. the only one I know of is the HR site for my job).

As for your favorites, just about every browser these days will import your favorites from IE or any other browser.

thieltech

okay thanks for the help guys , ill try fire fox out then ? does anyone have anything bad to say about microsoft security essentials ? thats what im currently useing .... just trying to figure out if i should change to something else , if there's something better ? and free is best lol