Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "skim words"????

"skim words"????

Is this a new "feature" of OCDO or is it a problem with my computer?

I just noticed that a couple words in posts I've made were turned into links to (mostly) completely unrelated sites. In any case, I didn't put links in, they weren't there before I hit 'post', and they were there when it became real.

I went back in & added _ to break up the words & that got rid of the offending unwanted links.

Let's see if it does it this time... I'm not putting any URLs in.
    s.kype
    car.dealer

ETA - this time only the first example turned into a link.
    Last post, both did.
    ETA2 - came back to check responses, & they were both linked.
    ETA3 - trying ways to block the unwanted links
    Last edited by MKEgal; 12-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I have also noticed when I go back to edit a word with my arrow keys I lose my cursor or the page will jump to the top or bottom. I just replaced my keyboard and mouse and have tested this on several computers (all the same issue).

Firefox 8.0

Herr Heckler Koch

SkimLinks - Analysis by Ghostery

http://www.ghostery.com/apps/skimlinks
    SkimLinks is a London based affiliate marketing platform. Their tools and products provide Web site owners the ability to monetize their site through placement of affiliate links. The SkimLinks JavaScript code is placed on their site, which then scans the website's content and converts product references to links to those products from marketers.

http://www.skimlinks.com/

SkimLinks
    was found on over
    sites. Here's a sample:

pinterest.com
    jeuxvideo.com
    sherdog.net
    telegraph.co.uk
    tomshardware.de
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 12-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.

MKEgal, it was added to the board by the administrator's to obtain more money (likely to help pay for hosting costs). Its nothing to do with your computer or post specifically.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Skim Words, or adwords that are added in the posts is the most annoying type of advertising that someone could install on a forum. I saw him "testing" in a thread somewhere and I worried that is what he was up to.

I added it to my adblock routine.

Unregistered users that are not logged on, fine.. Show them the ads. For a registered user, its simply crap and annoying.

Its yours, do what you want with it admin, however eventually it will drive some of the userbase away, hopefully not the important users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

I do agree that it can be annoying.

One example:
    Someone creates a post, you see a link in it, you assume the user posted the link and you follow the link to find more details and it brings you to ebay or some other site.

Now I don't easily know which links were added by the user and which links were added by skim/ad words.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay
    Now I don't easily know which links were added by the user and which links were added by skim/ad words.
    +1
    Only way I can see to get around it would also make text harder to read.

Crossbreed holsters, AIG, Ruger, Google, Facebook

Scanning...testing...

Nope, not working here.
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 12-22-2011 at 08:55 PM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Banned
    I don't know if this feature was turned off and then on some months later, but I never noticed this before. I had been using a Windows-based computer with FireFox and NoScript. I switched a few months ago to a Mac with FireFox and without NoScript. Suddenly, within the past few days, this skimlinks crap showed up. Some words in a post were highlighted in a way that led me to believe that a poster was linking supporting information, so I clicked the link.

I was irked when an ad came up. I felt like I had been duped. I checked the poster's name, a respected poster, so he would not have done it. I hovered over the link, and up popped the fact that the link was added by skimlinks.

Today, my curiosity got the best of me when I saw a few more of these links. So I googled skimlinks. The first few hits were for the skimlinks site. Another indication of the dishonesty of these folks is that they engineer google results. This stuff is so annoying that discussions of their intrusive practice should get a few of the top hits.

This thread did show up in the hits though, so I thought I add my two cents to it.

If the site owners insist on using this "tool," it would be nice if the links looked different and not like one that a poster was helpfully including.

It is their site and their call, but this is a despicable thing to do to their members.

Again, I'd pay a fee to OCDO to avoid this kind of crap.

It is possible for SkimLinks and other "ad word" tools to be added to the client by various malware programs.

I run Win7 systems with IE9 or IE10 and Microsoft Security Essentials. No other anti-malware software.

I don't see the SkimLinks links on OCDO.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Is this a new "feature" of OCDO or is it a problem with my computer?

I just noticed that a couple words in posts I've made were turned into links to (mostly) completely unrelated sites. In any case, I didn't put links in, they weren't there before I hit 'post', and they were there when it became real.

I went back in & added _ to break up the words & that got rid of the offending unwanted links.

Let's see if it does it this time... I'm not putting any URLs in.
    s.kype
    car.dealer

ETA - this time only the first example turned into a link.
    Last post, both did.
    ETA2 - came back to check responses, & they were both linked.
    ETA3 - trying ways to block the unwanted links
    It is a feature of vBulletin that we are experimenting with. I apologize for not announcing it and making everyone wonder.

John

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Skim Words, or adwords that are added in the posts is the most annoying type of advertising that someone could install on a forum. I saw him "testing" in a thread somewhere and I worried that is what he was up to.

I added it to my adblock routine.

Unregistered users that are not logged on, fine.. Show them the ads. For a registered user, its simply crap and annoying.

Its yours, do what you want with it admin, however eventually it will drive some of the userbase away, hopefully not the important users.
    I am sorry to those who find it annoying.

We are trying Skimwords for two reasons:

1) They do not initiate popups when you mouse over the words (THAT is the thing that irritates me the most on websites); and

2) They allow you to control the page density of links so you don't get a flood of links on every page.

If it truly bothers people we will remove it. As hosting costs continue to increase and Adsense revenue decreases (probably because a lot of privacy minded people use ad blockers), we are just wanting to make sure we have the finances to support the forum.

Thanks.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    I am sorry to those who find it annoying.

We are trying Skimwords for two reasons:

1) They do not initiate popups when you mouse over the words (THAT is the thing that irritates me the most on websites); and

2) They allow you to control the page density of links so you don't get a flood of links on every page.

If it truly bothers people we will remove it. As hosting costs continue to increase and Adsense revenue decreases (probably because a lot of privacy minded people use ad blockers), we are just wanting to make sure we have the finances to support the forum.

Thanks.

John
    John-

Love the forum. Hate the advertising. I know it's a necessary evil, but in an arena where links are a natural part of the discussion posts, having "odd" links appear in those same posts, it just seems...intrusive. At least when a moderator edits your posts, you don't have to do a mouseover to find out.

It may be none of our business, but I think it would be beneficial for the forum users to know just how much it costs to keep OCDO running.

Thanks for all you do!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned

"skim words"????

They only bother me because they look like links users add to their posts for reference. That causes me to accidentally click them. I have no intention of ever clicking a skim link. If they could be made to look different...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Jeez. I believe it was within 15 seconds of my first encountering a skimlink that I intuited what was going on, and adapted accordingly.

They don't remotely resemble bonafide links. Context is everything.

I mean, right off the bat: how frequently do people use inline links like that on a forum? 99% of the time it's something like:

Check out this great article by Lysander Spooner:

An Essay on the Trial by Jury
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-03-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Cincinnati (Springfield Township), Ohio, USA
    I just made a post in the PA forum and noticed the skimwords link in it. For what my opinion is worth, I did not pay for a registrations to this site. Since it's provided to me for free, yet the site owner does have expenses for it, I will respect the site owner's intentions and not whine/gripe about the links on my posts. Nor will I break up words that are linked to get the links removed.

I do not see the skim words links. I presume it is due to one of the Firefox add-ons I run - AdBlock Plus, NoScript, and DoNotTrackMe being the most likely candidates. These do not, however, block the 6 primary ads at the top of the page.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    These do not, however, block the 6 primary ads at the top of the page.
    The first-displayed - Cleveland Holsters - of which directs you to a now-defunct website…..
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    The first-displayed - Cleveland Holsters - of which directs you to a now-defunct website…..
    Seems to be a link problem - this one works.

http://clevelandsholsters.com.

Well darn, it did a miute ago. Will let John know.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-10-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The issue is with clevelandholsters.com, as it answers a ping fine but sends this content.
    On closer examination, see the bolded parts. Looks like it may be for sale.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html data-adblockkey="MFwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADSwAwSAJBALquDF ETXRn0Hr05fUP7EJT77xYnPmRbpMy4vk8KYiHnkNpednjOANJc aXDXcKQJN0nXKZJL7TciJD8AoHXK158CAwEAAQ==_hYmwKSsgU osShOHI7CTMY1cbeJVcbp1ZZJMkfEaAxr0jj1y5ulFUiFl7rv4 Rq1Bjl9wKT/VkvFBVrRjfcivO5g==" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
    <title>clevelandsholsters.com</title>
    <script src="http://www.google.com/adsense/domains/caf.js" type="text/javascript" ></script>
    <link href="http://dal9hkyfi0m0n.cloudfront.net/themes/saledefault.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" /> <link href="http://dal9hkyfi0m0n.cloudfront.net/themes/assets/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <link href="http://dal9hkyfi0m0n.cloudfront.net/themes/cleanPeppermintBlack/style5.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Libre+Baskerville:400,700' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    </head>
    <body id="afd" style="visibility:hidden">
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function SendOffer() {
    var offer = window.open('http://www.parkingcrew.net/sale_form.php?domain_name=clevelandsholsters.com', 'pcrew_offer', 'width=600,height=750,left=200,top=200,menubar=no, status=yes,toolbar=no');
    }
    </script>
    <div id="sale_banner_gray">
    <a class="firstlink" href="javascript:void(0);" onClick="SendOffer();">
    Buy this domain. </a>
    </div>
    <div id="holder">
    <div id="header">
    <div id="domainname">clevelandsholsters.com</div>
    <div id="searchHolder">
    <div id="searchbox"></div>
    </div>
    </div><!--header-->
    <div id="content">
    <div id="tcHolder">
    <div id="tc"></div>
    </div>
    <div class="clear"></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div id="copyright">
    <script type="text/javascript">function showImprint(){var imprintwnd = window.open('','pcrew_imprint','width=640,height=480,left=200,top=200,menubar= no,status=yes,toolbar=no');imprintwnd.document.wri teln("");imprintwnd.document.close();}function showPolicy(){policywnd = window.open('http://www.parkingcrew.net/privacy_english.html','pcrew_policy','width=890,height=330,left=200,top=200,menubar=n o,status=yes,toolbar=no');policywnd.focus();}</script>
    2014 Copyright. All Rights Reserved. <br/><br/>
    The Sponsored Listings displayed above are served automatically by a third party. Neither the service provider nor the domain owner maintain any relationship with the advertisers. In case of trademark issues please contact the domain owner directly (contact information can be found in whois).
    <br/><br/>
    <a href="javascript:void(0);" onClick="showPolicy();">Privacy Policy</a>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var _gaq = _gaq || [];
    _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-48689684-1']);
    _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'auto']);
    _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', false]);
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar', 1, 'Theme', 'CleanPeppermintBlack', 1]);
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar', 2, 'Theme Type', 'two', 3]);
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar', 3, 'Category ID', '0', 3]);
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar', 4, 'Colorscheme', '', 3]);
    _gaq.push(['_setCustomVar', 5, 'domty', 'ascii', 3]);
    _gaq.push(['_gat._anonymizeIp']);
    _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
    })();
    </script>
    <!-- --> </div>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">
    var searchboxBlock = {
    'container' : 'searchbox',
    'type' : 'searchbox',
    'fontSizeSearchInput' : 12,
    'fontSizeSearchButton' : 10,
    'colorSearchButton' : 'transparent',
    'colorSearchButtonText' : '#444',
    'hideSearchButtonBorder' : true,
    'hideSearchInputBorder' : true,
    'fontSizeSearchButton' : 13,
    'widthSearchInput' : 160,
    'widthSearchButton' : 83
    };

var tcblock = {
    'container' : 'tc',
    'type' : 'relatedsearch',
    // Optional params.
    'number' : 10,
    'fontSizeTitle' : 22,
    'colorBackground' : 'transparent',
    'colorAttribution' : '#999',
    'fontSizeAttribution' : 14,
    'lineHeightTitle' : 33,
    'noTitleUnderline': true,
    'colorTitleLink' : '#E57921',
    'rolloverLinkColor' : '#00c800',
    'titleBold': true,
    'width' : '666px',
    'adIconUrl' : 'http://afs.googleusercontent.com/dp-teaminternet/arr_e57921.png',
    'adIconWidth' : 17,
    'adIconHeight' : 12,
    'adIconSpacingAbove' : 11,
    'adIconSpacingAfter' : 17,
    'verticalSpacing' : 3,
    'webFontFamily' : 'Libre Baskerville'
    };
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">if(top.location!=location){t op.location.href=document.location.href;}</script><script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'>var isAdult=false;var xbase='531d952317535fe2288be1c8';var sbtext='Search';var xt_auto_load=0;var ads='',pop_cats='';var rxid='46359735';var uniqueTrackingID='MTM5NDQ0NzY1MS4wMTQ2OjQyY2Y2NjRl MzZiNGUwM2UxODAwYjYyZjYwYTdkOTExOTM5ZjI0YmQ=';var search='';var is_afs=false;var country='us';var themedata='fENsZWFuUGVwcGVybWludEJsYWNrfHw1Y2U4NHx idWNrZXQwNTR8YnVja2V0MTEwfGJ1Y2tldDA0OXx8NDYzNTk3M zV8fDUzMWQ5NTIzMDEzMWF8fHwxMzk0NDQ3NjUxLjAxNTV8YTB mZTFhZDI2MTRmNDdmZjkxNmRlYjM1OTgwY2IzYTc3NjQ5NzZmY Xx8fHx8MXx8fDB8fHx8';var domain='clevelandsholsters.com';var scriptPath='';var adtest='off';var useFallbackTerms=false;</script><script src='http://dal9hkyfi0m0n.cloudfront.net/scripts/js3caf.js' type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'>x(pageOptions,{resultsPageBa seUrl: 'http://clevelandsholsters.com/?ts=fENsZWFuUGVwcGVybWludEJsYWNrfHw1Y2U4NHxidWNrZX QwNTR8YnVja2V0MTEwfGJ1Y2tldDA0OXx8NDYzNTk3MzV8fDUz MWQ5NTIzMDEzMWF8fHwxMzk0NDQ3NjUxLjAxNzR8ODI1ZDI0ZG ZlMjUzZWMxZTdmODEzNjk5ZjYyZTdiZGIxOGFhMWUxNHx8fHx8 MXx8fDB8NTMxZDk1MjMxNzUzNWZlMjI4OGJlMWM4fHx8&theme =0', hl: 'en', kw: '', terms: [""].join(','), channel: '003574,bucket054,bucket049,bucket110', pubId: 'dp-teaminternet02_3ph', adtest: 'off', clicktrackUrl: 'http://parkingcrew.net/track.php?click=caf&domain=clevelandsholsters.com& rxid=46359735&uid=MTM5NDQ0NzY1MS4wMTQ2OjQyY2Y2NjRl MzZiNGUwM2UxODAwYjYyZjYwYTdkOTExOTM5ZjI0YmQ%3D&ts= fENsZWFuUGVwcGVybWludEJsYWNrfHw1Y2U4NHxidWNrZXQwNT R8YnVja2V0MTEwfGJ1Y2tldDA0OXx8NDYzNTk3MzV8fDUzMWQ5 NTIzMDEzMWF8fHwxMzk0NDQ3NjUxLjAxNzN8YWEwYzk1Y2ExZm NmNDZkMmEwMjlkNDRiZTg1MzhmMWRhMDUxYmQ5MXx8fHx8MXx8 fDB8NTMxZDk1MjMxNzUzNWZlMjI4OGJlMWM4fHx8&adtest=of f'});</script><script type='text/javascript' language='JavaScript'>x(pageOptions,{domainRegistr ant:'as-drid-2347195947241528'});</script><script type='text/javascript'>function loadFeed(){return google.ads.domains.Caf.apply(this, arguments);};</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">function relatedCallback(options){return false;} function relatedFallback(callback){return callback();}</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript">new loadFeed(pageOptions, tcblock, searchboxBlock);</script>
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-10-2014 at 06:47 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I dont mind skim words at all, but
    I hate all the pop-ups I get!
    Sometimes it takes 4 clicks to get one gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Seems to be a link problem - this one works.

http://clevelandsholsters.com.

Well darn, it did a miute ago. Will let John know.
    Want to say on a Holster/Sponsor thread they had been bought by another gun store.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Want to say on a Holster/Sponsor thread they had been bought by another gun store.
    Confirmed.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Puba View Post
    I dont mind skim words at all, but
    I hate all the pop-ups I get!
    Sometimes it takes 4 clicks to get one gone.
    As far as I know OCDO doesn't have popup ads. I've never seen one.

If you're getting popup ads while browsing OCDO you likely have adware installed on your computer.

I recommend installing and running malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    As far as I know OCDO doesn't have popup ads. I've never seen one.

If you're getting popup ads while browsing OCDO you likely have adware installed on your computer.

I recommend installing and running malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    +1

+ Super Anti Spyware - free edition.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

There are others - these are the 2 best IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast