• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots dogs to save woman from attack

az_shooter

http://www.svherald.com/content/news/2011/12/14/239188

If you read the article,the guy puts a round in one of the dogs,it retreats and then returns charging at the guy.He had to put a second round into it.

Follow up is that the guy who discharged his weapon and saved this lady and her dog has not been cited for any wrong doing.

One of the dogs was a Pit Bull Puppy,bystanders say that it wasnt involved,it was just there Barking at the commotion. That particular dog is in Quarantine for 10 days after which,its gonna be put down.

The owner of the dogs was cited for dogs at large and vicious animals. This isnt her first run in with the law concerning dogs.

Last edited:

gunns

Dogs are the only animal bred to attack people. Granted most are fine, but one has to remember that many breeds were bred to attack.

Sky1

Shot it with a 45 and it still charged him? Pit Bulls are small dogs, I would think with a 45 it would have been game over with one shot.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
If the bullet(s) hits a proper target -- a vital organ, CNS (preferably) -- it IS "game over."

Just getting shot anywhere in the body doesn't mean anything -- regardless of caliber used whether it be .22LR or .45ACP -- the bullet needs to be placed properly. Even re: a brain shot, it's better to target the rear of the brain (motor) than the front (cognitive). Additionally, poor placement of a FMJ bullet is even more unforgiving...you have a slight "fudge factor" with placement using HPs.

Whatever, choose your target well, and HIT it.

Game over.

tim12232

and one of the many reasons I carry around my house, I love dogs, have three "well behaved" they are never let out to go wonder around. I dont want to ever shoot a dog, but push come to shove, my life and my dogs are more valuable!

great find!

Tim

decklin

Dogs are the only animal bred to attack people. Granted most are fine, but one has to remember that many breeds were bred to attack.

Dogs are not the only animal bred to attack people. There are breeds of cats also. Specifically the Siamese. It was originally from Thailand and was used to guard palaces/castles/whatever you want to call them. They would sit in wall niches spaced at measured increments and when a potential intruder got too close they would jump down onto the shoulders of the individual and kill them. Stories about the size of these original siamese vary. Some say they were the size of German Shepards and others a Bob Cat.
They were eventually bred down in size. I remember an older soldier some years ago telling me about a training event he attended in Thailand. He was out on a training exercise with his platoon and got separated. He went back to the compound on his own and was attacked by a normal sized siamese cat. He said it was his collar on his field jacket that probably saved him.
Don't forget the Thai and Indians also bred Elephants for this. Europeans also bred War Horses, Coursers I believe, to use in war. They would bite, stomp and kick their way through enemy lines.

wrightme

Shot it with a 45 and it still charged him? Pit Bulls are small dogs, I would think with a 45 it would have been game over with one shot.

OMG!

Where is the "ROFL" smiley when you need it. My pit/golden cross is 95+lbs! While some bull breeds are not that large, it is false to make a blanket "pit bulls are small dogs" statement.

Staffordshire Terriers are typically about 40-45lbs. American Staffordshire Terriers can easily top 80-100 lbs, as can other variants.

I find it quite plausible that one might take a .45 round and keep moving to effect. It is also quite plausible for one to take a .45 and drop on the spot.

Last edited:

okboomer

I have seen several dogs take massive hits from 1) directly run over by 2 successive vehicles (4 tires went over the dog), and 2) a horse that had killed dogs by stomping, and was amazed at the damage they could take and still get up and continue with what they were doing before dropping dead afterwards. And then, I have seen a pellet gun change a dog's mind about attacking someone :cool:

As has been stated in other discussions, a shot that causes enough blood loss to result in death can take minutes for the injury to actually cause death. Again, a demonstration to shoot until the danger is stopped, rather than shoot, and look to see, then shoot again, etc ...

since9

Campaign Veteran
...was attacked by a normal sized siamese cat. He said it was his collar on his field jacket that probably saved him.

I'm not buying it. My best friend in grade school had a normal sized siamese. It was a hisser. One day, when I was in fifth grade, it jumped me and bit into my arm, latching on with all four sets of claws. I instinctively took a knee, with the cat beneath my knee.

That stopped the cat!

It took a long time for that cat to recover from its several broken ribs and a broken foreleg. About a year late a neighbor ran over it right in front of me. I wasn't exactly pining for it's loss.

The bite healed in a couple of days.

Kirbinator

Small = vertical height. Someone has experience around MUCH LARGER dogs.

That's why I keep one thing in mind about a dog, if and when I find the breed I like. It MUST mind me.

I don't want someone shooting my dog, nor do I want to have to shoot someone's dog.

11B2O

If the bullet(s) hits a proper target -- a vital organ, CNS (preferably) -- it IS "game over."

Just getting shot anywhere in the body doesn't mean anything -- regardless of caliber used whether it be .22LR or .45ACP -- the bullet needs to be placed properly. Even re: a brain shot, it's better to target the rear of the brain (motor) than the front (cognitive). Additionally, poor placement of a FMJ bullet is even more unforgiving...you have a slight "fudge factor" with placement using HPs.

Whatever, choose your target well, and HIT it.

Game over.

In Iraq, that place is filled with vicious huge dogs. Alot of them would rival the size of a great dane. Unfortunately, in some areas it was so bad that dog attacks were common in entering villages or households. We quickly realized it was easier to take that extra second for a head shot than to put 5 or 6 rounds into the dog.

decklin

In Iraq, that place is filled with vicious huge dogs. Alot of them would rival the size of a great dane. Unfortunately, in some areas it was so bad that dog attacks were common in entering villages or households. We quickly realized it was easier to take that extra second for a head shot than to put 5 or 6 rounds into the dog.

We saw alot of the same things. We had a couple of problems with dogs attacking us while on patrol.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I like animals, but I will never hesitate to put down any animal looking to do harm to me or mine. That includes those of the bipedal variety.

Last edited:

Dahwg

So I guess what we learned today class is that the .45 is not a magical caliber that will put everything down no matter where you hit it. I've heard people who rage on about caliber wars swear that it doesn't matter where you hit someone with a .45 it will stop 'em with one hit.

As has been stated- it's all about placement. You could stop the same dog with a well-placed .22 if needed. Moral of the story, don't worry as much about caliber- practice hitting the vitals and get very good.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
So I guess what we learned today class is that the .45 is not a magical caliber that will put everything down no matter where you hit it. I've heard people who rage on about caliber wars swear that it doesn't matter where you hit someone with a .45 it will stop 'em with one hit.

As has been stated- it's all about placement. You could stop the same dog with a well-placed .22 if needed. Moral of the story, don't worry as much about caliber- practice hitting the vitals and get very good.

Exactly. But, it is always a good idea to also practice double and tripple tapping... 1-2 to the chest, one to the head.