• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robbery at Mcdonald's on Midlothian, victim's gun taken

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I know it sounds like a Keyboard Kommando talking, but if some guy is pointing a gun at me and telling me to hand mine over, I'm going to try my darndest to give him all the bullets first.

That location is not known for folks OCing. As a matter of fact the area is known for the relatively high number of folks who legally cannot have guns at all. When I have been there I was the only one OCing, although even casual observation made me pretty sure there were others who were carrying. A few even seemed to believe I was some sort of cop.:eek:

Given the above, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how the BG knew to ask for the handgun and why the person with the handgun decided not to shoot it out with the BG. I'm also thinking that there might be a follow-up story in the paper in the next day or so about some poor soul who was just about to turn their life around getting shot down right before Christmas.

stay safe.

Marco

police said the suspect may have taken another handgun from one of the patrons he robbed."

This scenario is the one I expect we are most likely to encounter.
"We" in the above statement appears to mean "us CC only folks that aren't prepared to use what we carry."

So, in less than 45 days we have two different reports of folks (one OC'ing and one CC'ing) losing their firearms (& one his life unfortunately) and a report of a State tropper losing his firearm from what was most likely a triple retention holster.

Mind set is everything!
This quote comes to mind:" I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't."

Last edited:

streetdoc

When ever I talk to anybody about carrying a gun, I always add the statement; "if you are not willing to pull the trigger don't carry a gun, I hope I never have to but I am willing to do that to save my family and myself."

va_tazdad

What a wonderful place

I worked that location in an armed security capacity for years. The number of patrons legally carrying is small compared to the number of criminals that do. Back then. I carried a hand cannon almost as big as Peters.

There were any number of "incidents" where the police were called due to the problem clientele, but I never had any trouble involving firearms.

Of all the arrests made at that location, 95 % were drunk in public and trespassing problems. Many of the "problems" lived in the Blue Ridge Estates apartment complex and were know to me personally because that was also one of our locations.

The only robbery during that time was an inside job where an employee’s boyfriend robbed the store and was caught 2 days later attempting to rob a 7-11 with his girlfriend with him.

They terminated the contract because they didn’t think there were enough problems to make it worthwhile to have armed security.

Seems they were wrong as that is now a frequent target.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
"We" in the above statement appears to mean "us CC only folks that aren't prepared to use what we carry."

So, in less than 45 days we have two different reports of folks (one OC'ing and one CC'ing) losing their firearms (& one his life unfortunately) and a report of a State tropper losing his firearm from what was most likely a triple retention holster.

Mind set is everything!
This quote comes to mind:" I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't."

+1,000

VApatriot

As in most cases, the reporting here is quite lacking, but I can't help but feel that the "patron" who might have had a gun taken was another gang-banger. To me, that would explain a lot about this case. 1) If a legally armed citizen had had their gun taken in a robbery, I'm pretty sure that they would have remained on the seen to confirm to police that there firearm was stolen. Here, the police only say that the suspect "may have taken another handgun," which sounds like they got that information from witnesses, rather than from the "victim." 2) It seems more likely to me that the robber recognized the other individual as a fellow criminal, knew that me was likely armed, and took his gun, rather than the robber successfully being able to disarm a lawful OC/CC'r.

taurusfan

As in most cases, the reporting here is quite lacking, but I can't help but feel that the "patron" who might have had a gun taken was another gang-banger..

I hadn't thought of that! It seemed to me it were an open carrier, who had his gun spotted by the bad guy, who then demanded it.

Marco

I hadn't thought of that! It seemed to me it were an open carrier, who had his gun spotted by the bad guy, who then demanded it.

Of course you wouldn't, as you attribute any/everything negative to the OC community.
Those unfortunate inner city criminals are just misunderstood folks trying to get by.
Why you do visit this site?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Of course you wouldn't, as you attribute any/everything negative to the OC community.
Those unfortunate inner city criminals are just misunderstood folks trying to get by.
Why you do visit this site?

Surely you are not suggesting that Glockfan is predisposed to negate the benefits of OC and the precepts of this forum - have to admit that I have noticed that tendency including his admonition to " Walk softly, carry concealed" as his location.

Like whistling in the wind, such voices are diminished by the prevailing, dominant breezes.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
----snip---

The statement, "may have taken another handgun from one of the patrons he robbed" sure makes it sound like it wasn't a law abiding citizen the gun was taken from....

Up until over a year ago, I frequented that precise McD's for breakfast at least once per week. Got to know a lot of the regulars and they me as I do OC 24/7. Back then there would be at least 2 others carrying legally during the morning hours, occasionally one other OCer. Acknowledging that 6:00 AM would have been prior to the routine time for this breakfast and extended coffee group though.

Had been thanked by the manager for keeping the certain elements moving on.