• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham police draw down on Open Carrier

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I understand its on the AP wire now.

and just made an appointment with the B'ham herald. This one will have the attorneys there to help (but not prevent) the bias so common in the herald. I will be surprised if the support Citizen over city.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

24,000,000 budget
15,000 payout.

If I were making $12/hr or 24,000 annually, that would be like being penalized $15. How much of an effect on my behavior is a penalty equal to a large two-topping pizza gonna have?

My apologies if I sound bitter, it's STILL a Win for our side.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Is there a admission of wrong doing for the officer employing lethal force on a citizen engaged in a lawful activity? What were the consequences? Where there consequences?

MSG Laigaie: I believe the attitude of the B'ham LEOs has changed in a positive way. I really do not care about personal opinions as long as we all follow the law. I have had several interactions with BPD LEOs lately and ALL have been positive. Progress however small is progress.
You were following the law. It seems that being nicer is/was the goal even though the interactions continue. I do not know the circumstances surrounding these several encounters but encounters continue. So, is nicer better or is not being encountered better.

Red Dawg

OC for Me: If you are out and about, and not sitting behind a computer screen, you do run into people, including cops. Saying hi, chatting and moving on isn't a really bad thing. MOST OF THE TIME!!...

OC for ME

Red Dawg: your back-handed insult is noted. Your comment is not addressing my question(s).

However, I will indulge you.

No information has been provided on sanctions, if any, against the officer who employed lethal force against MSG Laigaie, unjustifiably it seems or there would have been no settlement. MSG Laigaie has no obligation to answer this question. He (we) may never know if any sanctions were levied against that cop.

MSG Laigaie also stated that he has had several encounters, I presume since "the incident" that were, as MSG Laigaie describes, positive encounters.

I maintain, and have always maintained, it is that a encounter should not happen. Cops do not normally initiate encounters with apparently unarmed citizens. What are the circumstance surrounding these "several" encounters that MSG Laigaie has experienced. What is it that the cop thought required a encounter with MSG Laigaie?

Is the objective of MSG Laigaie's civil action to be sure that encounters are nicer, or is the objective to have cops treat a visibly armed citizen in the same manner they seem to treat visibly unarmed citizens.

What good is training if the encounters continue?

gsx1138

amlevin

Back to SVG's case, since the City didn't follow through with their end of the bargain what are the chances of a Civil Suit being successful. In a "settlement agreement" don't BOTH sides have to follow through?

"Kicking them while they're down" might not be that appealing to some but it sure could send a loud, clear message, to other cities in the State like Spokane, Vancouver, and Seattle (although Seattle's gonads are in the vise now with the Federal Oversight).