• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Decided to make the switch to open carry

cotillion

Hello from medford Oregon! 29 year old male, tired of covering up my firearm so I've decided to go 100% OC. I carry a S&W 642 .38 special with a simple reversible uncle mikes. Just thought I'd introduce myself! If anyone has any advice or places to tuck it away please feel free to let me know :)

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Welcome to the forum. Medford is continuing to be the open carry center of Oregon it seems, at least as far as number of people on this board. Be aware that Medford PD has been spotty when it comes to not violating people's rights. Carry an audio recorder on your person at all times, and if you need to use it announce that you are audio recording to anybody who might be recorded.

We-the-People

Hello from medford Oregon! 29 year old male, tired of covering up my firearm so I've decided to go 100% OC. I carry a S&W 642 .38 special with a simple reversible uncle mikes. Just thought I'd introduce myself! If anyone has any advice or places to tuck it away please feel free to let me know :)

Welcome to OCDO and Open Carry in Medford. Carry in any lawful manner you're comfortable with but I definitely prefer the Serpa retention holsters for OC.

As for places not to go, other than those few places verboten by law for CHL holders, the only place I've had a problem was at the Rogue Valley mall. You can also check the "friend or foe" website for other locations...for instance CostCo apparently has a no firearms corporate policy but enforcement is not universal.

cotillion

If I could ask just 1 question. I've tried to find the definition of "public building" and I understand that's obviously court houses and government offices, does that include the dmv?

As far as the rifle comment, lol! I actually drove by that. At first I was 100% against him, and yes I know he's a member here, but now I'm glad he did what he did as more rogue valley residents are educated on the legality of OC. Just as long as they don't push for a ban now ill stick by that!

VW_Factor

If I could ask just 1 question. I've tried to find the definition of "public building" and I understand that's obviously court houses and government offices, does that include the dmv?

As far as the rifle comment, lol! I actually drove by that. At first I was 100% against him, and yes I know he's a member here, but now I'm glad he did what he did as more rogue valley residents are educated on the legality of OC. Just as long as they don't push for a ban now ill stick by that!

166.360 (4) - “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

There it is, as Oregon Revised Statute.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Since you say you were tired of covering up your sidearm, you presumably have a CHL, so you can open carry in any public building where you could carry concealed.

VW_Factor

Since you say you were tired of covering up your sidearm, you presumably have a CHL, so you can open carry in any public building where you could carry concealed.

indeed.

166.370 (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

166.370 (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

166.370 (3) d. - A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

None of that says you must carry concealed either, simply that it does not apply to you if you hold a CHL.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Check the top of hte Oregon forum page for teh "stickied" (i.e. always at the top) OC Pamphlet thread. There will be a lot of information in a condensed form with references to laws. Just be sure to veryify everything before relying on it....for instance the localities with loaded carry restrictions (without CHL) can change without anyone noticing.

Also, when you're approaching a public building that CHL holders are allowed to carry in and notice a "no firearms" sign.....they usually cite ORS 166.360 and that firearms are prohibited.....they neglect to mention that 166.360 isn't a prohibition, only the definition of what a public building is.....and that ORS 166.370 is the prohibition, from which CHL holders are exempt.....AND....law enforcement is specifically prohibited from arresting you for violation of 166.250 and 166.370 (other than court facilities) if you are carrying your CHL. That is, I believe 166.282 (the prohibition on arresting CHL holders).