• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Violent crime

The Big Guy

Heard on the news last week that LV has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in the country. This morning I heard that the City of Henderson is the 2nd safest city in the country. Hmmmm. LV opposes our civil rights, Henderson embraces them. Suppose there is any correlation?

TBG

The Big Guy

That's just crazy talk....[/sarcasm]

Well, the snugness of my screws have been called into question upon occasion.

Maybe if we got rid of the Sheriff and his goons it might just solve the violent crime rate in LV.

TBG

Last edited:

The Big Guy

jdholmes

Typical media crap...

I found this link from through the FBI reports...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...2011/data-tables/table-4/table-4-montana-ohio

It looks like Las Vegas metro would work out to about 420 give or take for every 100,000 if I did the math right...Doesn't sound like that would be the second most violent in the country...

Henderson tends to have less seedy areas and lacks the strip...I am sure that helps as well.

The Big Guy

I couldn't find much on it either. Some diverse reports. Take it for what it's worth as the point is if you live in this area and are an OC guy or gal, Henderson is the place to be.

TBG

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here is the Forbes article HERE
Behind the Numbers

To find America’s 10 safest cities, we looked at metropolises with populations above 250,000. We ranked them by violent crime rates—the number of violent crimes (murder, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault) per 100,000 residents in 2010, as reported by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Because the FBI only compiles data from municipalities that submit complete reports, we were only able to look at 72 cities; Chicago was not included in our ranking.

That doesn't shed any light on the subject at all.

The OP's referenced material stated that LV had the "2nd highest violent crime rate in the country" not which was the safest.

This would suggest that Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Nashville, Newark, Oakland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Stockton, Tulsa & Washington D.C. all exceeded the violent crime rate of Las Vegas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Umm actually the OPer stated he heard two things. Bolded in below quote.

I pulled out the Forbes' quote just to show that their stats were derived from the FBI's stats. The Forbes' articles are what the news outlets are using for thier stories. Reading the "safest" story one would see it links to the "dangerous" story. Didn't think linking both stories would be needed.

Here is the Forbes' "America's Most Dangerous Cities" article.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with the Forbes information. The OPer was asked for a cite, so I am just trying to help a brother out.

Appreciate the correction and redirection - I was too focused on the one aspect.

Interesting that Forbes rates LV as 10th on their list - bad enough but not exactly 2nd place.