Thread: Recording Hardware

Recording Hardware

As I was catching up on posts, it occured to me that we could use some suggestions on recording hardware/software. Everybody has a phone that can record video and audio nowadays, but sometimes, you need to be more discreet than holding up a phone. I have seen various websites that have pen-style video recorders, but I haven't used them personally. I am wondering if anyone has already done the homework to test some of these devices, and maybe offer some recommendations?

If not, then someone with the time needs to get to it! Contact some vendors and get some gear for review! Tell them what it's for, and that the results of the review will be published on opencarry.org, the pre-emminent place on the internet for Open Carry advocates! Any volunteers?

Of course, if this has already been done, just point me in the right direction, ehh?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Of course, if this has already been done, just point me in the right direction, ehh?
    How about a search for "digital voice recorder"? Use the advanced search feature.

The topic has been discussed repeatedly, and specific makes and models reviewed with pros and cons detailed. Same with mini- and micro-video recorders. You should be able to find all that you seek just by following the threads.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Not sure if you have an android phone or not but if you go to the android market and search voice recorder. This one is great on my phone, it has a widget for your homescreen so that you don't have to open the app to use it, you just push record. I have tested this onein and out of my pocket. Just hit record and put phone in your pocket. It is also optimized for gmail so you can instantly email your recordings. Hope this helps.

Campaign Veteran
    Do your homework, get a good one, and practice using it by finding a good location where you're sure to get everything. I have a poor recording of an incident which I'm using in a federal lawsuit, and at this point, I'm considering spending a few thousand bucks to have it "forensically enhanced" by a forensic linguist. All would have been a moot point if I'd have used a better recorder, or had it better positioned on me.

I've also found my iPhone voice recorder to be pretty good. It will continue to record even after the screen is locked. My phone requires a password to unlock the screen, so unless they turn it off it will continue to record and can't be deleted. Most people have cell phones, so it would be harder for people to claim you were instigating by carrying a voice recorder, you're merely carrying a phone.

Are there any of these recording apps for android that would also record to the internet so you don't have to worry about someone deleting the footage?

2A
    Last edited by OC-moto450r; 08-02-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Yeah, I did a search before I posted, wasn't really finding what I was after. There is a really nice voice recorder app for Windows Phone 7, but it got nerfed shortly after release to no longer work when locked. I guess they wanted to make sure it was completely useless. The author actually said something in the release notes about it being a 2-party compliance thing. Stupid stupid stupid. Freakin' nanny apps!

I was interested in teh ustream thing, but can't seem to find any app for WP7 yet. That would be perfect. Oh well, continuing to look.