Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SB 760,761,762 passed- 26 inch pistol length.

Thumbs up SB 760,761,762 passed- 26 inch pistol length.

The MI Senate passed definition of pistol to 26 inches for firearms.HB 4124,25,26 were introduced 1/20/11 and are in the House Judiciary Committee.Email,make calls,lets go!CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamaneggs View Post
    The MI Senate passed definition of pistol to 26 inches for firearms.HB 4124,25,26 were introduced 1/20/11 and are in the House Judiciary Committee.Email,make calls,lets go!CARRY ON!
    So do people think this is a good or a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    So do people think this is a good or a bad thing?
    From what I have seen people are pretty split about it.

So the senate passed it.. the house already passed it, no? Now it's just on to little Ricky's desk to be signed into law?

I think it's a bummer...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

The House has yet to touch them.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    I think it would further restrict (due to physical size) the number of rifles that can be registered, and then carried with a CPL.

We could appeal to the antis in on the basis that fewer guns would be registered under this law. Tactically, I'd play that card at this point.

http://michiganvotes.org/Legislation.aspx?ID=132257 ,HB 4247 grandfathers already registered long guns somehow.It's in the Judiciary committee with the other bills too.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

If I buy a MI Pistol this weekend and turn in my RI60 next Monday will it be registered in time?
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    If I buy a MI Pistol this weekend and turn in my RI60 next Monday will it be registered in time?
    I'd say yes
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I'd say yes
    It might be time to go buy myself a xmas present.

Banned
    Nice Fozzy, nice. I can speak from experience on that one.

Sb760,761,762

The bills have passed the Senate and still have the House to go. The bills when finally passed will eliminate the so called "Michigan Pistol". These bills were pushed by the gun stores in Michigan. It will bring Michigan in line with Federal Law. If you want to own and carry a "Michigan Pistol" it has to be registered by Jan 1, 2012. Anything purchased or registered after that date will become a rifle after or when these bills pass. This is because the grandfather provision has this date (Jan 1, 2012) in it and it will likely NOT be changed or amended as the bills have already passed the Senate. Even if the bills pass in 2013, the Jan 1, 2012 grandfather date will stand.

Get them registered before Jan 1, 2012. After this date anything registered would become a rifle and you may find yourself in a bind if you are carrying a rifle loaded in your car or concealed.

I don't like registration, but I like to carry my SUB2000 with the 33 round Glock Mags in the trucks or carry my 870 Pistol in the truck. Unless we can get a long gun loaded law passed like other states, this is the only way.

Best keep an eye on the things in Lansing, this set of bills have been working since 2010. Apparently they were hoping to pass them without any backlash from those of us that have "Michigan Pistols", but we (gun owners) found out and the grandfather part was added. There is lots of legislation banging around in Lansing that gun owners should keep their eyes on all the time.

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by kpearce View Post
    ....These bills were pushed by the gun stores in Michigan....
    Could you please cite evidence of this statement so I can get more info on why they would support this?
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, USA
    I notice this won't affect Mossberg pistols since they are far shorter than 26 inches still. Same would go for rifles sold without stocks under 26 inches in length. Correct?
    "Reason can never be popular. Passions and feelings can become popular, but reason will always remain the sole property of a few eminent individuals."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by CV67 PAT View Post
    Fozzy if this is yours (the MOC shirt would say it is) your a f*cking moron. You dont look very good at it either. The buds in the fridge are a joke. How stupid to take pictures like that.

Keep in mind people that this bill apparently has no provision for resale of said firearms.... so if you're grandfathered in, you should be good for your OWN use, but no one knows what will happen if you go to sell that firearm.... (not saying you can't sell it... but it may have to become a rifle at that point)

Just sayin...

P.S. I should buy a sub 2000 pronto.....

also:
    Quote Originally Posted by CV67 PAT View Post

Knew it was only a matter of time till THAT one came back around...
    Last edited by HKcarrier; 12-21-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by StingMP9 View Post
    I notice this won't affect Mossberg pistols since they are far shorter than 26 inches still. Same would go for rifles sold without stocks under 26 inches in length. Correct?
    without the stocks would still be handguns,

i think the mossberg pistols would be long arms, they are just barely over 26", your talking about the pistol gripped 18" barrel ones right? federally those are long arms
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Could you please cite evidence of this statement so I can get more info on why they would support this?
    First I spoke directly to the people at Top Gun as well as Guns Galore. They want rifles to be just like Federal Laws. It is a big hassle to NOT be able to sell a short or youth rifle to someone under 21. It will allow them to sell more of these rifles and also may provide more young hunters.

Second I don't know the answer except to say that if it is considered a rifle by the Fed then it will be one here also. That is the intent of the bill affecting us. The other bills have to do with flare guns and such.

And finally the other poster is correct there is NO provision that I can see to re-sell these as they can not be registered after Jan 1, 2012. So if you get one then it will be a keeper or if you sell it then it reverts back to a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kpearce View Post
    The bills have passed the Senate and still have the House to go. The bills when finally passed will eliminate the so called "Michigan Pistol". These bills were pushed by the gun stores in Michigan. It will bring Michigan in line with Federal Law. If you want to own and carry a "Michigan Pistol" it has to be registered by Jan 1, 2012. Anything purchased or registered after that date will become a rifle after or when these bills pass. This is because the grandfather provision has this date (Jan 1, 2012) in it and it will likely NOT be changed or amended as the bills have already passed the Senate. Even if the bills pass in 2013, the Jan 1, 2012 grandfather date will stand.

Get them registered before Jan 1, 2012. After this date anything registered would become a rifle and you may find yourself in a bind if you are carrying a rifle loaded in your car or concealed.

I don't like registration, but I like to carry my SUB2000 with the 33 round Glock Mags in the trucks or carry my 870 Pistol in the truck. Unless we can get a long gun loaded law passed like other states, this is the only way.

Best keep an eye on the things in Lansing, this set of bills have been working since 2010. Apparently they were hoping to pass them without any backlash from those of us that have "Michigan Pistols", but we (gun owners) found out and the grandfather part was added. There is lots of legislation banging around in Lansing that gun owners should keep their eyes on all the time.
    Just a slight disagreement with what you said. The bill as passed by the Senate doesent say the Michigan Pistols have to be registered by Jan 1 2012. It says that they have to be owned,possesed,carried or transported by then.(Section 23 of bill as passed by Senate). The way I read this is you would still be legal if the bill passes as written now as long as you fill out the paperwork and buy the gun by midnight Dec. 31 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    Fozzy if this is yours (the MOC shirt would say it is) your a f*cking moron. You dont look very good at it either. The buds in the fridge are a joke. How stupid to take pictures like that.
    Those pictures were taken long ago: years before I quit smoking, and years before I got the MOC shirt (which I never wore cuz it shrunk so bad). Some people dont like to let sleeping dogs lie. Apparently no one else here ever did anything illegal in the past.?

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Those pictures were taken long ago: years before I quit smoking, and years before I got the MOC shirt (which I never wore cuz it shrunk so bad). Some people dont like to let sleeping dogs lie. Apparently no one else here ever did anything illegal in the past.?
    It appears that lately on this site, lots of people are only interested in giving their opinions and making smart comments on anything any one says. Instead of bring oc'ers together in an informative and helpful way.
    its better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.....unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nate0486 View Post
    It appears that lately on this site, lots of people are only interested in giving their opinions and making smart comments on anything any one says. Instead of bring oc'ers together in an informative and helpful way.
    +1

It's too bad there is so much in-fighting in the 2A community. Look no further than MGO if you want to see in-fighting.

The antis must eat this crap up...

Just one more reason to get rid of Pistol Registration and to have Constitutional Carry (inclusive of all firearms)...

Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    Just a slight disagreement with what you said. The bill as passed by the Senate doesent say the Michigan Pistols have to be registered by Jan 1 2012. It says that they have to be owned,possesed,carried or transported by then.(Section 23 of bill as passed by Senate). The way I read this is you would still be legal if the bill passes as written now as long as you fill out the paperwork and buy the gun by midnight Dec. 31 2011.
    Well we are both technically right, semantics. You can not own, posses or carry one without the dumb registration but transport could be legally done.

I have seen a few people registering their shotgun receivers as pistols now, but planning on converting them later. I do not know or think that this would be illegal, so at least if you want to build it later next year you would be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Keep in mind people that this bill apparently has no provision for resale of said firearms.... so if you're grandfathered in, you should be good for your OWN use, but no one knows what will happen if you go to sell that firearm.... (not saying you can't sell it... but it may have to become a rifle at that point)

Just sayin...

P.S. I should buy a sub 2000 pronto.....

also:

Knew it was only a matter of time till THAT one came back around...
    Good luck finding a SUB 2000. I have called all over and looked locally and can't find any more. At least for a decent price.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast