• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 760,761,762 passed- 26 inch pistol length.

Haman J.T.

The MI Senate passed definition of pistol to 26 inches for firearms.HB 4124,25,26 were introduced 1/20/11 and are in the House Judiciary Committee.Email,make calls,lets go!CARRY ON!

CV67 PAT

This can be viewed both ways.

I see the peculiar pistol definition as a means by which to have a loaded rifle readily available (with a CPL) if needed. However with this comes the registration that so many of us oppose.

Elimination of this definition will also eliminate the registration of rifles that fall within that definition. Many of us are opposed to any registration and this brings us one step closer to that end.I am not optimistic that we will ever see the elimination of pistol registrations, like the other 42 states enjoy.

Personally, I have rifles registered as pistols. I feel that the intrusion of registration is outweighed by the ability to carry concealed and to possess in my vehicle a loaded full size rifle and not a diminished sized pistol that shoots rifle rounds.

HKcarrier

So the senate passed it.. the house already passed it, no? Now it's just on to little Ricky's desk to be signed into law?

I think it's a bummer...

stainless1911

Banned
I think it would further restrict (due to physical size) the number of rifles that can be registered, and then carried with a CPL.

We could appeal to the antis in on the basis that fewer guns would be registered under this law. Tactically, I'd play that card at this point.

kpearce

Sb760,761,762

The bills have passed the Senate and still have the House to go. The bills when finally passed will eliminate the so called "Michigan Pistol". These bills were pushed by the gun stores in Michigan. It will bring Michigan in line with Federal Law. If you want to own and carry a "Michigan Pistol" it has to be registered by Jan 1, 2012. Anything purchased or registered after that date will become a rifle after or when these bills pass. This is because the grandfather provision has this date (Jan 1, 2012) in it and it will likely NOT be changed or amended as the bills have already passed the Senate. Even if the bills pass in 2013, the Jan 1, 2012 grandfather date will stand.

Get them registered before Jan 1, 2012. After this date anything registered would become a rifle and you may find yourself in a bind if you are carrying a rifle loaded in your car or concealed.

I don't like registration, but I like to carry my SUB2000 with the 33 round Glock Mags in the trucks or carry my 870 Pistol in the truck. Unless we can get a long gun loaded law passed like other states, this is the only way.

Best keep an eye on the things in Lansing, this set of bills have been working since 2010. Apparently they were hoping to pass them without any backlash from those of us that have "Michigan Pistols", but we (gun owners) found out and the grandfather part was added. There is lots of legislation banging around in Lansing that gun owners should keep their eyes on all the time.

HKcarrier

Keep in mind people that this bill apparently has no provision for resale of said firearms.... so if you're grandfathered in, you should be good for your OWN use, but no one knows what will happen if you go to sell that firearm.... (not saying you can't sell it... but it may have to become a rifle at that point)

Just sayin...

P.S. I should buy a sub 2000 pronto.....

also:

Knew it was only a matter of time till THAT one came back around...

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

I notice this won't affect Mossberg pistols since they are far shorter than 26 inches still. Same would go for rifles sold without stocks under 26 inches in length. Correct?

without the stocks would still be handguns,

i think the mossberg pistols would be long arms, they are just barely over 26", your talking about the pistol gripped 18" barrel ones right? federally those are long arms

kpearce

Could you please cite evidence of this statement so I can get more info on why they would support this?

I notice this won't affect Mossberg pistols since they are far shorter than 26 inches still. Same would go for rifles sold without stocks under 26 inches in length. Correct?

First I spoke directly to the people at Top Gun as well as Guns Galore. They want rifles to be just like Federal Laws. It is a big hassle to NOT be able to sell a short or youth rifle to someone under 21. It will allow them to sell more of these rifles and also may provide more young hunters.

Second I don't know the answer except to say that if it is considered a rifle by the Fed then it will be one here also. That is the intent of the bill affecting us. The other bills have to do with flare guns and such.

And finally the other poster is correct there is NO provision that I can see to re-sell these as they can not be registered after Jan 1, 2012. So if you get one then it will be a keeper or if you sell it then it reverts back to a rifle.