• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 760,761,762 passed- 26 inch pistol length.

maustin195

The bills have passed the Senate and still have the House to go. The bills when finally passed will eliminate the so called "Michigan Pistol". These bills were pushed by the gun stores in Michigan. It will bring Michigan in line with Federal Law. If you want to own and carry a "Michigan Pistol" it has to be registered by Jan 1, 2012. Anything purchased or registered after that date will become a rifle after or when these bills pass. This is because the grandfather provision has this date (Jan 1, 2012) in it and it will likely NOT be changed or amended as the bills have already passed the Senate. Even if the bills pass in 2013, the Jan 1, 2012 grandfather date will stand.

Get them registered before Jan 1, 2012. After this date anything registered would become a rifle and you may find yourself in a bind if you are carrying a rifle loaded in your car or concealed.

I don't like registration, but I like to carry my SUB2000 with the 33 round Glock Mags in the trucks or carry my 870 Pistol in the truck. Unless we can get a long gun loaded law passed like other states, this is the only way.

Best keep an eye on the things in Lansing, this set of bills have been working since 2010. Apparently they were hoping to pass them without any backlash from those of us that have "Michigan Pistols", but we (gun owners) found out and the grandfather part was added. There is lots of legislation banging around in Lansing that gun owners should keep their eyes on all the time.

Just a slight disagreement with what you said. The bill as passed by the Senate doesent say the Michigan Pistols have to be registered by Jan 1 2012. It says that they have to be owned,possesed,carried or transported by then.(Section 23 of bill as passed by Senate). The way I read this is you would still be legal if the bill passes as written now as long as you fill out the paperwork and buy the gun by midnight Dec. 31 2011.

fozzy71

Fozzy if this is yours (the MOC shirt would say it is) your a f*cking moron. You dont look very good at it either. The buds in the fridge are a joke. How stupid to take pictures like that.

Those pictures were taken long ago: years before I quit smoking, and years before I got the MOC shirt (which I never wore cuz it shrunk so bad). Some people dont like to let sleeping dogs lie. Apparently no one else here ever did anything illegal in the past.?

nate0486

Those pictures were taken long ago: years before I quit smoking, and years before I got the MOC shirt (which I never wore cuz it shrunk so bad). Some people dont like to let sleeping dogs lie. Apparently no one else here ever did anything illegal in the past.?

It appears that lately on this site, lots of people are only interested in giving their opinions and making smart comments on anything any one says. Instead of bring oc'ers together in an informative and helpful way.

TheQ

It appears that lately on this site, lots of people are only interested in giving their opinions and making smart comments on anything any one says. Instead of bring oc'ers together in an informative and helpful way.

+1

It's too bad there is so much in-fighting in the 2A community. Look no further than MGO if you want to see in-fighting.

The antis must eat this crap up...

kpearce

Just a slight disagreement with what you said. The bill as passed by the Senate doesent say the Michigan Pistols have to be registered by Jan 1 2012. It says that they have to be owned,possesed,carried or transported by then.(Section 23 of bill as passed by Senate). The way I read this is you would still be legal if the bill passes as written now as long as you fill out the paperwork and buy the gun by midnight Dec. 31 2011.

Well we are both technically right, semantics. You can not own, posses or carry one without the dumb registration but transport could be legally done.

I have seen a few people registering their shotgun receivers as pistols now, but planning on converting them later. I do not know or think that this would be illegal, so at least if you want to build it later next year you would be legal.

kpearce

Keep in mind people that this bill apparently has no provision for resale of said firearms.... so if you're grandfathered in, you should be good for your OWN use, but no one knows what will happen if you go to sell that firearm.... (not saying you can't sell it... but it may have to become a rifle at that point)

Just sayin...

P.S. I should buy a sub 2000 pronto.....

also:

Knew it was only a matter of time till THAT one came back around...

Good luck finding a SUB 2000. I have called all over and looked locally and can't find any more. At least for a decent price.

stainless1911

Banned
I also agree.

OT. This is nothing more than a gun control measure. IF this passes, it will further restrict our rights. Gun owners are supposed to have the majority in Lansing, but the only thing that comes out of there, is the repeal of a dueling law, and this? WTF. Vote them all out. The silencers weren't legislation, at least if it had been, it would have been something.

Eileen Kowall is my representative, she claims to be pro gun, as do many others in Lansing, but it takes more than a "fan" of guns, we need people willing to step up and do something. I will very likely NOT be voting for her again.

WilDChilD

So is there no way to take them down? Just goes to show the younger people why you shouldnt do dumb **** because it follows you.

PDinDetroit

Well we are both technically right, semantics. You can not own, posses or carry one without the dumb registration but transport could be legally done.

I have seen a few people registering their shotgun receivers as pistols now, but planning on converting them later. I do not know or think that this would be illegal, so at least if you want to build it later next year you would be legal.

Has to be a Pistol when you register it or else you cannot legally do so. Since the "safety inspection" has been dropped, I am not sure how it would be caught by "The System"...

MCL 28.421 said:
FIREARMS (EXCERPT) Act 372 of 1927

28.421 Definitions.

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(e) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-421

maustin195

Again we disagree slightly. You can own, carry,and posess a pistol without it being registered for 10 days as long as you keep your PP or RI-60 with you. The pistol is not registered untill the paperwork is submitted to the State Police by your local department. That is why I believe you could buy a Michigan Pistol up until midnight 12-31-2011 and still be legal if the bill passes. Maybe it is just semantics but I try to be as accurate as possible.

TheQ

This bill has benefits and detriments. It's hard to be either for or against it.

MGO and MCRGO both supported it.

detroit_fan

I also agree.

OT. This is nothing more than a gun control measure. IF this passes, it will further restrict our rights. Gun owners are supposed to have the majority in Lansing, but the only thing that comes out of there, is the repeal of a dueling law, and this? WTF. Vote them all out. The silencers weren't legislation, at least if it had been, it would have been something.

Eileen Kowall is my representative, she claims to be pro gun, as do many others in Lansing, but it takes more than a "fan" of guns, we need people willing to step up and do something. I will very likely NOT be voting for her again.

If this bill passes wouldn't it allow those under 21 to buy what is now considered a "michigan pistol" from a FFL? If you look at it that way it is expanding gun rights. It would also allow us to have more firearms unregistered, which would also be expanding gun rights in MI. So I don't think you can call it gun control, but you can't really call it a gun rights bill either.

Now I agree that there has not been much good coming out of lansing in the 2A department, but do we really know what snyder would even sign? It's not like he is a big 2A guy, I get the feeling he doesn't really care about the 2A at all. While we have not seen any "good" legislation, we also have not seen any "bad" 2A laws being passed either. It could be worse, could be better. I would still rather have the House and Senate in (R) hands that don't touch anything, than have the (D) control it and pass further restrictions like they have in places like CA, NY, NJ, MA, MD, IL, ect..

kpearce

If this bill passes wouldn't it allow those under 21 to buy what is now considered a "michigan pistol" from a FFL? If you look at it that way it is expanding gun rights. It would also allow us to have more firearms unregistered, which would also be expanding gun rights in MI. So I don't think you can call it gun control, but you can't really call it a gun rights bill either.

Now I agree that there has not been much good coming out of lansing in the 2A department, but do we really know what snyder would even sign? It's not like he is a big 2A guy, I get the feeling he doesn't really care about the 2A at all. While we have not seen any "good" legislation, we also have not seen any "bad" 2A laws being passed either. It could be worse, could be better. I would still rather have the House and Senate in (R) hands that don't touch anything, than have the (D) control it and pass further restrictions like they have in places like CA, NY, NJ, MA, MD, IL, ect..

Yes people under 21 can purchase rifles as they now can do. The "Michigan Pistol" would no longer exist (except Grandfathered). These pistol grip or folding stock shotguns/rifles will be treated just as any other long gun and they must be carried, transported as such. I don't see the need for a "Michigan Pistol" except to be able to carry it in my vehicle loaded under my cpl. Of course the shorter rifles are good to have anyway, like the SUB 2000.

/Rant On

We are the problem with the legislation in Lansing. These bills were pushed by the gun stores, while we got together a fire mission to get the silencer opinion. However positive this was, I believe it was merely used as a placation. The old throw them something so they will be quiet thing. If any decent legislation is ever going to be done, it will have to be done as a UNITED effort. Right now if you look at the other forums around the state all you see is bickering and in-fighting. Most of the people posting a lot never go do anything for the good of the 2A.
If you will go back to the beginning and study how MCRGO united the CPL cause, and got the CPL Law passed. We need to unite and stand together, put together a prioritized list of things we want, and work on that list. Go study Buckeye Firearms Association. They have a united front and they have made a lot of strides in Ohio. There is a newsletter that goes out and they send out emails regarding any important developments. In fact most of the politicians in Ohio are worried more about them than the NRA.

Then come back here and you will realize that we have a lot of work to do to get unified as one front.

When I was at the NRA convention in PA this year I met the NRA Lobbyist. He told me that certain bills had no chance of ever getting out of committee.

As with any club, or group there are always the core people that do all of the work, and the others who incessantly bitch about the ones doing the work. We have to get those on board to agree to be united for the cause and then we can move forward. It seems to me like everyone wants things done, but they don't want to get involved, and they expect the president or someone else to do it. We all have to do it, together.

/Rant Off

stainless1911

Banned
The current batch of office holders arent doing anything, but you can bet that when the enemy retakes those seats, they will. I'm sure they are loving this "vacation" that we are handing to them, they dont have to fight, simply bide the time until elections and then have free reign to do what they will.

StingMP9

Madison Hts-Carry M&P9mm CPL/NRA mem, Michigan, US
without the stocks would still be handguns,

i think the mossberg pistols would be long arms, they are just barely over 26", your talking about the pistol gripped 18" barrel ones right? federally those are long arms

Its been quite awhile since I looked at one but I think I'm talking about the pistol gripped 12" 12 gage mossberg handgun that I once saw at Gander Mountain. It's tagged as an AOW but they told me it sells just like any other handgun because its been manufactured as a SBS and the tax stamp ....

You know it makes it the shotgun equivalent of a MI Pistol

Never got one, a little to mall ninja meets Mad Max for me. But I still want the right to acquire what I wish to acquire and carry what I wish...although I will almost certainly always stick with my regular handgun caliber pistol unless I become some Over the Road truck driver that needs a Mad Max.

Bearhawk

Good luck finding a SUB 2000. I have called all over and looked locally and can't find any more. At least for a decent price.

I have been looking for a Sub 2k since Thanksgiving. I kept watching a few auctions sites and found one new for $335 buy-it-now shipped just Saturday night. On GB they are a lot more. I pick it up tomorrow morning at my transfer FFL and register it as a pistol:monkey. After that I go straight to the Sheriff's dept to drop off the RI-60. It's a .40 that uses the Glock mags.

Coming from a non-registration state before moving here, I abhor Michigan's handgun laws and registration! But...I will take advantage of this one to be able to have a concealed rifle...I mean handgun.

A buddy of mine just bought a Mini 14 with the factory folding stock so he could register it as a Michigan Pistol. I'd imagine several folks are doing buying for that reason.

Bearhawk

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Sent this to Eileen Kowall, Dist. 44 Representative

I know that it has been a very busy year, and because of that, nothing has been done to restore our gun rights. To say the least, I am disappointed, but hope still, that some substantial progress can be made this year. Typically, the right is on side with gun owners, and we have the majority in Lansing for now, I think we should take advantage of it while we can. The Attorney General has given his opinion on suppressors, which is good, but it's hardly equivalent to any meaningful legislation or repeals.

It has come to my attention that the State now wishes to change the definition of a pistol from 30" to 26", and in so doing, eliminate the "Michigan Pistol" entirely. These 'Michigan Pistols could be carried under a CPL, subject to the same restrictions, by the most law abiding citizens of our state. This is just another step backwards in the road to our constitutional recovery. I do realize that this would eliminate the need for registration of these very few firearms, which is a good thing, but this is the wrong way to get rid of registration. Only 6 states right now have the registration infringement, if we want to join the majority of the nation in freedom, just repeal registration as a whole. Another solution, would be to repeal the restrictions on having loaded rifles in private personal vehicles, or better yet, eliminate the requirement for a CPL to carry any loaded gun in ones vehicle. (read private property).

I know that you are ok with guns, and that's cool, but we don't need a "fan" of guns, we need some definitive forward movement in Lansing this time around. Please make this a landmark year for the advancement of our gun rights, instead of letting the opportunity slip by for yet another year.