• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Wisconsin experience' a good lesson for Patty, Maria

Dave Workman

The moral of this story: People DO want to be armed!

WI experience should be wake-up call to WA senators

There’s a rush going on in Wisconsin that has nothing to do with Christmas, but it does offer a lesson to anti-gun politicians – including Washington State’s two U.S. Senators – that given the choice, citizens believe in being armed, and will exercise that civil right..

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/wi-experience-should-be-wake-up-call-to-wa-senators

Bill Starks

State Researcher
When I wrote to Norm Dicks this was his reason for voting against the bill....

This bill has two very serious flaws which led to my opposition. First, crimes that are felonies in some jurisdictions – including some violent crimes, gang-related crimes and crimes committed against spouses and children – are only misdemeanors in others, creating a loophole that would allow someone who would be unable to even purchase a firearm in a state to be able to legally carry a concealed weapon with a permit from another state with more permissive laws. Second, no provision is made in the bill to enable law enforcement to verify the authenticity of an out-of-state concealed carry permit and no national standards exist to ensure the integrity of permits issued by state and local jurisdictions. I supported amendments to the bill that would have fixed both problems; however, they were defeated on the House floor.

Since the nearly 350,000 CPL holders are only 5% of the population, I'm sure Cantwell & Murray will vote it down just as before.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Dave,
Well written!

I consistently write Cantwell, Murray, and Inslee supporting gun rights. All three consistently write back with BS boilerplate prose that doesn't address the concerns. They won't outright oppose what I have to say nor do they support the bills.

The letter from Norm Dicks at least addresses specifically the point taken by M1 even though it also is BS. Inslee won't even do that.

amlevin

First, crimes that are felonies in some jurisdictions – including some violent crimes, gang-related crimes and crimes committed against spouses and children – are only misdemeanors in others, creating a loophole that would allow someone who would be unable to even purchase a firearm in a state to be able to legally carry a concealed weapon with a permit from another state with more permissive laws.

As I read the law, one is required to abide by the laws of the State in which they are carrying, regardless of the laws in the issuing state.

Wouldn't that disqualify them if the conviction was a felony in the State visited?

I agree that it should be far easier to check/verify one's status by officers in the field. What crimes are reported to NCIC and available to NICS?

I'd be interested in some specific examples where a Gross Misdemeanor in one State is a Felony in another.