• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Men who openly carried guns at Culver's accept settlement - Madison.com

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...cle_4c73b934-2b5d-11e1-953f-001871e3ce6c.html
A group of men who drew police attention for openly carrying guns at a Far East Side restaurant last year on Tuesday accepted a $10,000 offer from the city of Madison to settle their federal civil rights lawsuit against the city and a group of police officers. [ ... ] Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said police still encourage citizens to call if they have concerns about someone armed with a gun, "but depending on the circumstance we might not make contact with an individual."
Merry Christmas Happier New Year Happy Festivus for the restive.

Last edited:

protias

It is about time. It is too bad they settled for only 10k. The police messed up big time and they tried to weasel out of it. They knew OC was legal and they knew refusing to identify yourself was also legal. With that said, I'm glad the Madison 5 gentlemen finally received their settlement. I know it has been stressful and a long road.

thieltech

great news , its just one more police department that realizes its legal to open carry and to treat law abiding OCers with the respect every good citzens deserve's ... now to get the beaver dam police chief to see it the same way , he said in a news paper article months ago that he'd have his officers put down anyone that gets called in or seen with a gun and investigate them ... kinda like chief flynn ... maybe he's changed his views ...will see

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Weasel words....

In its offer, the city does not admit to any wrongdoing. Attorney Catherine Rottier, representing the city, said the offer was made simply to settle the case without having to spend a lot more money.
If this was such a slam dunk, why wasn't it pursued to the point of real expense and an admission of wrongdoing for Madison? :confused:

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

I hope that's 10 G's apiece?

Otherwise I can't see the rather optimistic promises of unlimited Go-Go dancers and Hostess Ding Dongs at the "We fought the Law and the Law Lost" party coming to fruition.

That makes me sad.

MKEgal

HandyHamlet said:
I hope that's 10 G's apiece?
+1 (but I don't think so).

HH said:
Otherwise I can't see the rather optimistic promises of unlimited Go-Go dancers and Hostess Ding Dongs at the "We fought the Law and the Law Lost" party coming to fruition.
$10K can buy a lot of Ding Dongs.
Don't know what the dancers cost.

Mlutz

Thank You

I would like to thank everyone who helped with our case. Everyone that donated money, posted words of encouragement, or stuck up for us in public. Some people still don't understand we did nothing wrong. I wont get into that, because most of the people on the forum understand. This might not look like the best result to some, but I think its about the best we could get considering the... "totality of the circumstances". I guess that is all I have to say at this time. Thanks again.

thieltech

I would like to thank everyone who helped with our case. Everyone that donated money, posted words of encouragement, or stuck up for us in public. Some people still don't understand we did nothing wrong. I wont get into that, because most of the people on the forum understand. This might not look like the best result to some, but I think its about the best we could get considering the... "totality of the circumstances". I guess that is all I have to say at this time. Thanks again.

U could have come out a lot better. Just gotta be patient... not many people have that

M

McX

the issue wasnt and isnt how much they paid. it's that they paid. a liberal stronghold fell. and from what i hear in the media; the madison 5 incident was the pivoting point on the public view of gun rights, and it helped propel us to the license system we have today- such as it is. we could have stood outside and handed out flyers till hell froze over, and never had the effect of stimulating minds, and discussions, through the massive amounts of media coverage the incident sparked. now the 5 of us are just historical footnotes, soon to be forgotten. but we will remember.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I would like to thank Wisconsin Carry Inc for standing by me. They were on the phone while this went down and had calls into supervisors while the encounter was occurring.

I can only speak for myself and while I am disappointed that the judgement wasn't as big as we wanted, there are several pluses:

1. We got a judgement, we didn't settle. There is a distinct legal difference. On a settlement, all sorts of caveats can be added, such as secrecy. A judgement, in the courts eyes, is the same as if we proceeded through a jury trial and prevailed. In civil suits, that is what you win, a judgement.
2. Our case was cited by a circuit court judge who ruled 941.23 was unconstitutional (pre Act 35).
3. Wording was added into Act 35 stating that carrying a firearm, in and of itself, cannot be disorderly conduct.
4. Wording was added in Act 35 providing legal sanctions to LEOs who violate our rights solely because we have a ccl. While it could of gone further, our case was the impetus for this.

Personally, I will be buying a firearm with the proceeds and naming it Noble.

I also want to echo Mlutz's words in thanking all the people who supported me (us) and donated to the defense fund.

paul@paul-fisher.com

U could have come out a lot better. Just gotta be patient... not many people have that

Please do not 2nd guess this. We went with the advise of counsel. We could of dragged this out further but the end would of been the same. We would of received a judgement, just like we did now. There was NO WAY it would of been 6 figures and by that time we would of spent high 5 figures in attorney fees to get it.

Mlutz

If I would have know YOU thought we could have "come out a lot better" I wouldn't have had the attorney that I did... I would have hired you... Thanks for telling me... Now...

thieltech

Please do not 2nd guess this. We went with the advise of counsel. We could of dragged this out further but the end would of been the same. We would of received a judgement, just like we did now. There was NO WAY it would of been 6 figures and by that time we would of spent high 5 figures in attorney fees to get it.

i guess i cant really say u guys didnt have patients ... i didnt realize this was over a year ago ............ i still think the best thing that came from this personally is the fact that police cant treat us OC'rs like criminals and push us around like were the bad guys ....... i do respect u guys for standing your ground that night and getting things changed ... i personally might have been bullyed into giving up my ID , just for the simple fact that cops intimiadate me .but it depends on what officer it is ................................... smiley faces for everyone !

oliverclotheshoff

well congrats on the judgement hopefully madisTAN will remember that rights are rights and this will not happen again

847 culvers dinner on mlutz lol