Thread: Current Open Carry and Conceled laws for New Jersey

Current Open Carry and Conceled laws for New Jersey

Hey i currently live in North Carolina im a US Marine stationed at Cherry Point. I currently have the NC conceled carry but i am leaving soon and heading back home. In NC its legal to have open carry and i want to know whats required for me to do the same back home. I can pay most any price i just want to know like i do down here that i can walk out of my house and dont have to worry bout some **** head tryin to kill or rob me. thank you for any information yall can give.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

Good luck getting a license to carry a firearm concealed in NJ. This is from OCDO "New Jersey is not a traditional open carry state. However, should you be wealthy or connected enough to get one of the rare New Jersey handgun carry permits, New Jersey law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. However, the status of the state's preemption law would make this a dangerous proposition. They are amongst the top 5 rights restricted states in the union."

Carry in NJ is just something that is not possible unless you're an LEO or retried LEO or have multiple death threat letter signed by the guy threatening your life. And even then good luck.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
    Hey i currently live in North Carolina im a US Marine stationed at Cherry Point. I currently have the NC conceled carry but i am leaving soon and heading back home. In NC its legal to have open carry and i want to know whats required for me to do the same back home. I can pay most any price i just want to know like i do down here that i can walk out of my house and dont have to worry bout some **** head tryin to kill or rob me. thank you for any information yall can give.
    Well, if you say you'll pay a price then I'd recommend making huge donations to your local politician in return for a license. The only other way you get a permit is by carrying sums of cash or merchandise-and in that case it'll be restricted. Sorry I wish I had better news for you.
    BTW NJ is being sued for not issuing CCWs to law abiding citizens, but it's still in District Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
    My understanding of NJ law (old?) is, you can carry as you please on your own property, or at your business. You can carry with an (almost unattainable) permit if you grease the right palms. check www.opencarry.org/nj.html

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    My understanding of NJ law (old?) is, you can carry as you please on your own property, or at your business. You can carry with an (almost unattainable) permit if you grease the right palms. check www.opencarry.org/nj.html
    Pretty much correct although I don't think I'd open carry in NJ on your front lawn-reason is someone will call the cops, who will come and arrest for disorderly conduct or some other BS, and then they may try to yank your FID card. NJ is screwed up big time.

I have to visit NJ this week. I will be leaving my weapon in a free Washington State. I will put it back in the holster when I get home. I really do not want to spend any time in a NJ jail or get shot by an over zealous officer.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington