• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the area

mugsie

I am still a ohio state resident that is working out here. I have a conceal carry license and these laws here are confusing. Is it legal to open carry in saint louis and all of the state? I like to open carry when not working and not scared doing it if it is legal. I have a ccw for both ohio and florida. If I decide to become a resident of the state, I may get the missouri ccw license. I do like the state, however, it seems the state is a little behind the open carry world, I may be wrong, but it appears that way. Please let me know if there are some people like to get together sometime, most likely after the holidays and hang out. Love to hear from people from the state to get their feedback.

mspgunner

I am still a ohio state resident that is working out here. I have a conceal carry license and these laws here are confusing. Is it legal to open carry in saint louis and all of the state? I like to open carry when not working and not scared doing it if it is legal. I have a ccw for both ohio and florida. If I decide to become a resident of the state, I may get the missouri ccw license. I do like the state, however, it seems the state is a little behind the open carry world, I may be wrong, but it appears that way. Please let me know if there are some people like to get together sometime, most likely after the holidays and hang out. Love to hear from people from the state to get their feedback.

Missouri is a mess of confusing OC legal and OC not legal.... City of St. Louis - NO!
Your best bet, go to one of the OC outings here. We just had a dinner of OCers and with the holidays, might not be for a while. You may find a "chart" here of legal and not legal, but it is not up to date, we've had some changes in the STL area.

A note: always check local laws before open carrying in Missouri. Just to the West is St. Charles County, almost all legal to OC. Many municipals require a CCW permit to OC....

You'll be meeting up with us if you follow the forum. Be patient, YUP Missouri is a bit of a mess.

RPGamingGirl

Echoing what mspgunner said: check each and every municipality for OC and CC ordinances, as well as county laws. Usually a phone call to the police or sheriff's department will get you all the answers you need. Some city halls will email or fax you their ordinances pertaining to firearms, if you ask nicely.

Firedawg314

I know you have your answer,... I just want to add my .02 cents about WHAT I KNOW "OF" as open carry....

ST LOUIS CITY....NO
Clayton.... NO
Maplewood....NO
Ladue....NO
U City....NO
Jennings.....NO/Yes. I think its legal to do... but since its such a HIGH CRIME area... most likely you will have county brown on you faster than you can say...."what the?" These places will arrest you on sight! Well, that's what I have been told.

Places that I know of that is ok for open carry....

Hazelwood...yes
Florissant... yes
St. Charles... Yes
St. Peters... yes and the further you go west in general its ok.
Because our state is so "backwards" by allow each and every city/ county make their own rules... it best to get on her and ask people who shop there, live out in those areas. In general... think of all the places you will travel/ shop in missouri. Find out if its ok in those areas. If in doubt, just CC. BUT you must have your CCW with you inorder to do so.

Firedawg314

Echoing what mspgunner said: check each and every municipality for OC and CC ordinances, as well as county laws. Usually a phone call to the police or sheriff's department will get you all the answers you need. Some city halls will email or fax you their ordinances pertaining to firearms, if you ask nicely.

Yeah, in general you will get an answer. I had a conversation with someone out here in Hazelwood...( of course this is hear-say) that their chief sent a memo out about a year ago telling the cops there, if you see you with your firearm that they must "take it" to do a blasitic testing on it??? Of course many of the cops ignor it and like everything else... it disapearred with the many memos. So be careful in Hazelwood, you may get that one cop who want to impress their boss... even thought its ok to do it there.

mspgunner

With all due respect the police frequently have no idea!

We generally say "Never as the police", they'll give their opinion, not quoting local laws....

Sorry..

mspgunner

I know you have your answer,... I just want to add my .02 cents about WHAT I KNOW "OF" as open carry....

ST LOUIS CITY....NO
Clayton.... NO
Maplewood....NO
Ladue....NO
U City....NO
Jennings.....NO/Yes. I think its legal to do... but since its such a HIGH CRIME area... most likely you will have county brown on you faster than you can say...."what the?" These places will arrest you on sight! Well, that's what I have been told.

Places that I know of that is ok for open carry....

Hazelwood...yes
Florissant... yes
St. Charles... Yes
St. Peters... yes and the further you go west in general its ok.
Because our state is so "backwards" by allow each and every city/ county make their own rules... it best to get on her and ask people who shop there, live out in those areas. In general... think of all the places you will travel/ shop in missouri. Find out if its ok in those areas. If in doubt, just CC. BUT you must have your CCW with you inorder to do so.

Last time I checked Ladue was OK..... that was a long time ago, I've OC'd in Ladue.
This is why checking local laws is so important.... Yep, it's a mess around the STL area.

RPGamingGirl

With all due respect the police frequently have no idea!

We generally say "Never as the police", they'll give their opinion, not quoting local laws....

Sorry..

Guess it's different in my county; the LEOs down here are very knowledgeable about the laws, and the ones i have talked to personally are honest about them. But that could be more of a difference between county and city than anything else.

mspgunner

Guess it's different in my county; the LEOs down here are very knowledgeable about the laws, and the ones i have talked to personally are honest about them. But that could be more of a difference between county and city than anything else.

I've heard of many folks here is Urban land who have asled LEOs about OC, they really don't know or don't want to say it's OK. So many just say "NO"!

Not universal, soem of us have encountered LEOs who say "Thank you for standign up for your 2A rights!" Just depends who you run into on a given day.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Actually some of the worst reports on LEO knowledge have come from SW mo, Springfield etc in fact they had an illegal arrest and held a man at gun point whom was not even OC'ing because of an OC report in that area. I believe another member of this board indeed was illegally detained in Bolivar.

You are not going to get much good info out of the LEO questions at all. There are most certainly some, but history generally proves out that gun shops and LEO's are two of the worst places to check on gun laws.

The new person is in one of the BEST locations to learn about them right here on this board and they will find links to confirm them.

hermannr

You guys need to get your state legislature to adopt WA state RCW 9.31.290...lots of other states have....Give the locals the ability to regulate discharge of firearms, but nothing else.

RPGamingGirl

lol, i once had a guy in a gun shop try to convince me OC was completely illegal in MO. I wasn't fooled.

You guys need to get your state legislature to adopt WA state RCW 9.31.290...lots of other states have....Give the locals the ability to regulate discharge of firearms, but nothing else.

It has been tried several times but the spineless politicians seem to scared to death of the Missouri Municipal League and other anti organizations like them so they will not let a bill get out of committee to be debated and voted on.
Of course every time a politician runs for election or re-election they are always all for taking care of this matter but always fail to produce.

And they always choose to ignore this.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/const/A01023.HTM

Last edited:

mspgunner

It has been tried several times but the spineless politicians seem to scared to death of the Missouri Municipal League and other anti organizations like them so they will not let a bill get out of committee to be debated and voted on.
Of course every time a politician runs for election or re-election they are always all for taking care of this matter but always fail to produce.

And they always choose to ignore this.
http://www.moga.mo.gov/const/A01023.HTM

I'm getting closer to standing up and saying "YOU LIE!" when I hear them talk about 2A rights..... Really close!

Gun Day April 18th 2012 in the 1st Floor rotunda, 10:00 till 12:00 Jefferson City, Missouri.
****DO NOT TAKE A FIREARM INTO THE CAPITOL BUILDING****

I'm getting closer to standing up and saying "YOU LIE!" when I hear them talk about 2A rights..... Really close!

Gun Day April 18th 2012 in the 1st Floor rotunda, 10:00 till 12:00 Jefferson City, Missouri.
****DO NOT TAKE A FIREARM INTO THE CAPITOL BUILDING****

Unless you are a politician or in the employ of a politician. By law they are special exempted elite persons ya know.

XDSTEEL

Training in MO

Hey I am going to Ft. LeonardWood and just wondering about carrying and shooting ranges in the area. I have a Florida and a South Dakota Permit.

Firedawg314

Hey I am going to Ft. LeonardWood and just wondering about carrying and shooting ranges in the area. I have a Florida and a South Dakota Permit.

Missouri is a good state about gun carry.
You are allow to carry a gun ANYWHERE I YOUR CAR TO TRANSPORT. Just don't hang it on the back window or the dash board and you will be fine. If you want you can carry your pistal on your lap.... So going to a range in Missouri, you are good.

your Florida CCW is good here. Just becareful for each county and city you visit if you decide to Open Carry. Some of them allow open carry and other do NOT. And when I mean, "DO NOT", I mean, you go stright to jail, even with a CCW liscense.

But as I said before, you are good to keep a firearm in the car and drive to the range and walk out with it, with no problem.

xdmcompact

Missouri is a good state about gun carry.
You are allow to carry a gun ANYWHERE I YOUR CAR TO TRANSPORT. Just don't hang it on the back window or the dash board and you will be fine. If you want you can carry your pistal on your lap.... So going to a range in Missouri, you are good.

your Florida CCW is good here. Just becareful for each county and city you visit if you decide to Open Carry. Some of them allow open carry and other do NOT. And when I mean, "DO NOT", I mean, you go stright to jail, even with a CCW liscense.

But as I said before, you are good to keep a firearm in the car and drive to the range and walk out with it, with no problem.

Watch out for school zones, out of state permits do not give exemption for them.