• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC by minor?

wnw

Hi,
I was reading state OC laws and when I saw Montana,I noticed that minimum age to open carry is 14? Does that mean that minor who has 14 can carry gun in MT?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Yes. The legal age of OPEN carry in MT is 14 years old.

Also, driving a motor vehicle was 14.5 with permit the last I checked.

Come on, its Montana!

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Keep in mind that you must also follow federal law in regards to minors under the age of 18 possessing a firearm.

18 USC 922 (x)

Last edited:

wnw

Then you can carry cap and ball revolver,if federal law applies (Buerau of Alcohol,Firearms and Tobacco does not consider them firearms).

OC for ME

The feds could not find Montana even if they were dropped slap dab in the middle of Montana, on a football field, painted with WELCOME TO MONTANA on the turf.

Longshot117

It is very true, and if the minor has parental written permission, they can carry even younger. Just another reason I love living in Montana