• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine now has reciprocal agreement with Michigan

Maine CWP Training

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:

Delaware (March 13, 2009)
South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
Arkansas (June 21, 2010)
Pennsylvania (November 1, 2011)
Michigan (November 9, 2011)

xmanhockey7

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits:

Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
Arkansas (June 21, 2010)

Michigan's permit being recognized in Maine makes them the first state to have reciprocity with every state the recognizes out of state permits. Sadly for those in Maine it did not add another state that they can carry in because Michigan already recognizes all resident carry permits.

boyscout399

Michigan's permit being recognized in Maine makes them the first state to have reciprocity with every state the recognizes out of state permits. Sadly for those in Maine it did not add another state that they can carry in because Michigan already recognizes all resident carry permits.

Still good for tourism in Maine. We welcome Michiganians now!

Nascar24Glock

Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
Arkansas (June 21, 2010)

I'm surprised Tennessee is not on that list yet. We even have reciprocity with Nevada and Minnesota, which are probably among the five most restrictive states regarding which out-of-state permits they will recognize (among those that recognize ANY out-of-state permits, of course). This is especially true given how strict our requirements are (age 21 requirement, 8-hour class with a written test and a live-fire range test, and no permits offered to non-residents).

Anyway, it would be cool if you or someone else in Maine get in touch with your Attorney General (or whoever handles reciprocity agreements) and see if they can get us added.

Maine CWP Training

Maine Permit Honored in:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming

xmanhockey7

I'm surprised Tennessee is not on that list yet. We even have reciprocity with Nevada and Minnesota, which are probably among the five most restrictive states regarding which out-of-state permits they will recognize (among those that recognize ANY out-of-state permits, of course). This is especially true given how strict our requirements are (age 21 requirement, 8-hour class with a written test and a live-fire range test, and no permits offered to non-residents).

Anyway, it would be cool if you or someone else in Maine get in touch with your Attorney General (or whoever handles reciprocity agreements) and see if they can get us added.

Maine is just not good with reciprocity. I know someone in Michigan who was acting like a middle man contacting Michigan AGs office and I think the Chief who issues the Maine permits to try to get the reciprocity. Took about a year to get it done but eventually they got it.

Maine CWP Training

We are very close to New Hampster permits. Unions are fighting it because they perform the background checks and the permits are no longer $40 for a non-resident but $100. They hired extra staff to handle the volume.

I had a 62 year old female with no record and she received her Maine Resident permit in 114 days. The logjam is at Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Hospital processing to see if applicants are or were residents there. This poor woman applied for a new US Passport a week later and received it in 19 days.

Flashlight

We are very close to New Hampster permits. Unions are fighting it because they perform the background checks and the permits are no longer $40 for a non-resident but $100. They hired extra staff to handle the volume.

I had a 62 year old female with no record and she received her Maine Resident permit in 114 days. The logjam is at Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Hospital processing to see if applicants are or were residents there. This poor woman applied for a new US Passport a week later and received it in 19 days.

I contacted Senator Jon Courtney earlier this week in regards to not meeting the 30 day required timeline. This is the response from a staffer:

Mr. Sagner,

I spoke with the Maine State Police this afternoon. I was told due to the volume of claims it is near impossible to get the claims out by 30 days. In regards to the system, currently we only have one clerk processing over 6,000 claims a year. It takes time, but I ensure you the State Police are doing their best to get these processed as quickly as possible. I have passed all this information along to Senator Garrett Mason who is the chair of the Criminal Justice Committee. I hope we can work to make the process more efficient in the near future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and if we can ever be of any assistance please feel free to call.

boyscout399

I contacted Senator Jon Courtney earlier this week in regards to not meeting the 30 day required timeline. This is the response from a staffer:

Mr. Sagner,

I spoke with the Maine State Police this afternoon. I was told due to the volume of claims it is near impossible to get the claims out by 30 days. In regards to the system, currently we only have one clerk processing over 6,000 claims a year. It takes time, but I ensure you the State Police are doing their best to get these processed as quickly as possible. I have passed all this information along to Senator Garrett Mason who is the chair of the Criminal Justice Committee. I hope we can work to make the process more efficient in the near future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and if we can ever be of any assistance please feel free to call.

It's a statutory obligation to issue the permit within 30 days. Therefore, if they don't have the manpower to do the research they need to do, they have two legal options. They can issue the permit without getting the information from the Hospital and if they get info later on that disqualifies the person, then they can yank the permit by that means. Or they can hire more people to process permits. Waiting 114 days for a permit when the statute says MUST ISSUE WITHIN 30 DAYS is not acceptable. What if I said, I don't want to pay my taxes because I'm only one person and processing the paperwork required for filing my taxes will take an extra 114 days? Answer: I'd get arrested for tax evasion. It's not the way a government should function.

Last edited:

Maine CWP Training

Title 25: INTERNAL SECURITY AND PUBLIC SAFETY
Part 5: PUBLIC SAFETY
Chapter 252: PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS​

12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years and within 60 days of the application date in the case of a nonresident or in the case of a resident of less than 5 years. If the issuing authority does not issue or deny a request for a permit renewal within the time limits specified in this subsection, the validity of the expired permit is extended until the issuing authority issues or denies the renewal.

jonjon_jon

Paul who do you think is the strongest supporter of gun rights in republican primary?

Paul who do you think is the strongest supporter of gun rights in republican primary? Who does the NRA support have they come out with official position?

SovereignAxe

Don't forget one of the highest licensing fees. I don't know of any states that charge more than our $115. And that's after the class, which is anywhere between $50-75.

xmanhockey7

Don't forget one of the highest licensing fees. I don't know of any states that charge more than our $115. And that's after the class, which is anywhere between $50-75.

In MI we're 105 for up to five years but it expires on your birthday so it could be for just over 4 for the first year. The lowest I've seen a class go for here is $100. Everything else is normally $150 plus.

Maine CWP Training

SovereignAxe

Maine Permit Honored in:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Wyoming

xmanhockey7

SovereignAxe

Maine Permit Honored in:

I think he's referring to the fact that TN is not recognized in Maine because it is honored in other states that are hard to obtain reciprocity with.

SovereignAxe

I think he's referring to the fact that TN is not recognized in Maine because it is honored in other states that are hard to obtain reciprocity with.

Exactly. I already know that TN accepts every other state's permits. It's just surprising to me that more states don't accept ours considering all of the restrictions in place for it.

xmanhockey7

Exactly. I already know that TN accepts every other state's permits. It's just surprising to me that more states don't accept ours considering all of the restrictions in place for it.

The reason is probably that your attorney general(s) have not worked that hard to gain reciprocity.