• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laurel County

garyh9900

While this isn't exactly a open carry issue, the Laurel County Fiscal Court is attempting to ban the possession of concealed firearms in county buildings. While they are within their legal abilities to do so, I say don't fix what is not broke. If you all get bored and feel like making some phone calls, here ya go:

Laurel County Magistrates
District 1- Roy Crawford 606-878-8200
District 2- Danny Smith 606-862-8258
District 3- Teddy Benge 606-864-9574
District 4- Jeff Book 606-843-7862
District 5- Billy Oakley 606-864-5046
District 6- Noah Baker 606-864-6607

09jisaac

While this isn't exactly a open carry issue, the Laurel County Fiscal Court is attempting to ban the possession of concealed firearms in county buildings. While they are within their legal abilities to do so, I say don't fix what is not broke. If you all get bored and feel like making some phone calls, here ya go:

On the bright side they're not doing anything illegal and if you do conceal there is no penalty. On the down side: those that wish to pass this is no friend to the gun community and need to be voted out.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF

garyh9900

On the bright side they're not doing anything illegal and if you do conceal there is no penalty. On the down side: those that wish to pass this is no friend to the gun community and need to be voted out.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/527-00/020.PDF
So far I have called 4 of the 6 and went to see one of those in person. The short version is the Judge has apparently told them there is some sort of liability if they don't pass this. But they said I'm the only person who has called. Hopefully some of the group on here will give them a ring as well, you don't have to say where your from. I just told them that gun control is a losing issue in Kentucky, especially in Laurel County, and I would hate to be a politician running with a gun control record around here.

garyh9900

This is an OC issue because this type of ordinance forces people who have made a decision to arm themselves for self defense to OC and the county has no authority to restrict that. Most of these local officials have never considered that in their decision making and would rather people CC than OC. OC might upset the little old ladies. There is absolutely no liability to the county for a citizen exercising a constitutional right or using a state issued license for the intended purpose. That's like saying the county might be liable for an automobile accident if they allow licensed drivers to use county roads. If you don't live there and want to call you can always say that you have family there and visit often. I'll be on the phone soon. Does anyone know how much time we have to stop this or the name and phone number for the County Judge/Executive.?
Unless they call a special meeting to deal with this topic, the next regularly scheduled meeting is January 26th. I have spoken with 3 of the magistrates so far, #2,5,6. #2 and #5 were very responsive to my concerns. I will talk with #2 again tomorrow. He said something to the effect the ordinance only applies to state buildings like the sheriff's office and emergency operations center(both of which are very much county buildings, this actually all stems from them trying to prohibit firearms in the EOC).

garyh9900

I have uploaded and attached the copy of the proposed ordinance as read on 12/20/11. As it is written, it bans the concealed carry on all county property not just inside county buildings.

garyh9900

Lets try this....

Attachments

• 12-22-2011 04;20;44PM.PDF
    420.7 KB · Views: 143

garyh9900

The newspaper article also referred to them as state buildings.
My guess is that's what the judge told the magistrates when he brought it up at the meeting. I wasn't aware gun control was going to be on the agenda or I would have been there. I've sent a records request for a audio tape of the proceeding, so I can hear exactly what was said. But from what I have heard so far is: They are worried they will be liable for something happening if they don't ban concealed firearms. One of them mentioned its something the state needs them to do, even though the ordinance clearly says county buildings. I've contacted 4 of the 6 so far, and haven't had any luck getting the other 2. I've also got a few people who are supposed to be contacting them as well. Let me know if you have any luck contacting them Gutshot. Oh and the judge executives office # is 606-864-4640 and his home number is 606-878-0387, his name is David Westerfield.

Last edited:

garyh9900

An update on the attempt to bring gun control to Laurel County:

The elected officials now claim they are just trying to fix the conflict in state and county laws. They claim that concealed weapons are already banned in government buildings and this ordinance just brings them into compliance with the law. They also say the state has requested they do this. I know people have been contacting them about it, but I don't think they have been convinced to change their minds.

boomer92266

there's a sign on the monroe county court house door that reads, concealed deadly weapons on courthouse property is prohibited. they have a new justice center so not much in the courthouse except county clerk, sheriff, pva, and judge excecutive. both the tompkinsville police department, and monroe county sheriff are very nice and have told me several times when i have called. that they will not bother anyone open carrying as long as the carrier does not act in a threatning matter, and will let anyone know that it may bother that open carry is protected and there's nothing illegal about open carry. thanks

garyh9900

Thanks for the update Gary, but could you give a little more detail. Who said this and under what circumstances. I just got off the phone with Magistrate Roy Crawford and heard none of that. He did say he didn't know that guns were allowed in the State Capitol. He was very surprised to hear much of what I told him and asked me to mail all of the information to him. He said that it sounds like there is more to this than he knew. He also suggested I attend the Fiscal Court meeting on Jan. 26th.

Sorry its taken so long for a reply, but I've been away for a bit. I have spoken to 4 of the 6 magistrates. I have made numerous attempts to contact the other two, but no luck. I spoke with Roy Crawford about this a couple of weeks ago and he hung up the phone on me, I think he dislikes me however for some other reasons. The additional information I received has been from magistrates Danny Smith and Billy Oakley, and some conversations with fellow supporters about what their elected officials, primarily the judge executive, told them. Also it was in the sentine-echo they were doing it at the request of the state. The sentinel-echo only post about 25% of their content online.

Here is a recent news article about it:

http://thetimestribune.com/local/x608928214/Second-reading-of-weapon-ordinance-coming-Jan-26

Is anyone planning on coming to the fiscal court meeting on the 26th. I would like to be their, but I'm in training that day which runs concurrent to the fiscal court meeting and I have to be in Columbus, OH the next day by noon... So if I can't change anything, I would like to know what was said and done, before the Monday edition of the Sentinel-Echo.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I do believe we owe both of you a thank you! So thank you Gary and gutshot for the hard work. Now if they all would go this way, and HR290 sure would Help!