• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

small no weapons signs , not prominently displayed

GreenCountyPete

the only places i have seen signs they have seemed rather small , and not prominently posted

some behind tinted glass , some see thru , some are only lettering

but none that i would consider prominent

prominent means to me that a quick glance as you drive past the door of the building you should be able to see so you can secure your gun before exiting your vehicle not get up to the door and look over everything they have posted to see a small behind tinted glass of a side window no weapons sign.

is anyone else seeing this.

i must go mostly gun friendly places as only had to Not carry 3 times in over a month .

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Sign requirements

943.13 (2) (bm) 1.

Less that this is arguably without legal effect. A test case is needed. Be not the one.

GreenCountyPete

copied from Doj

"How big of a sign must be used?
A sign must be at least five inches by seven inches that states the restriction on carrying a firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)1."

i won't be the test case on this one , i can't afford a new carry gun much less legal fees

let's say i won't be frequenting the places i have come across very often if ever again.

Vandil

Some of them may predate the current law. I know I used to see fairly small round stickers with just a pistol crossed out maybe 3" diameter that are now worthless.

apjonas

At Trial

Judge: Mr. GreenCountyPete, did you see the "No Weapons Sign" before you entered the Quicky Mart with your weapon?

Mr. GreenCountyPete: I did, your honor. However it seemed rather small and not prominently posted. In fact it was 1/2 inch smaller than the legal minimum.

Judge:

(a) You are quite right, Not Guilty!
(b) You saw the sign. Guilty!
(c) ?

Possible Lessons - If the sign is sufficient size and placement, you will be assumed to have seen it unless you can demonstrate why that assumption is unreasonable. Perhaps mud was splattered over sign.

If the sign is undersized or otherwise deficient, you will be assumed not to have seen it unless the prosecution can demonstration why that assumption is unreasonable (such as you admitting having seen it).

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

if I see the sign , i take no chances and either find a different place to do business or secure my gun in my locked car before entering the posted place.

I had been watching very carefully for signs scanning all the signage visible from the outside

at old world Wisconsin they had a probably old sign in the lower corner of a window 8 feet from the door that was also small.

Janesville Rotary gardens was posted , with signs that are probably exactly 5x7 inches but that still left them to small to read till your almost to the door

these were actually the only 2 places in over a month of carry that were posted.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I think this (Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)1) needs to be addressed.

There should be more requirements of the signage as there are so many variations in size, content, color, placement that any one of us could potentially miss one and inadvertantly break the law. Of course that's probably what 'they' want...

Some places have been so obscure that I have literally had spend a minute outside the doors looking before I saw them. What if the sign is there somewhere and even after spending a minute looking, one does not see it?

E6chevron

It would be interesting, if we applied a similar standard as the courts have used for deciding if a weapon is concealed in a car... If a LEO doesn't notice the weapon when approaching the car, it is concealed.

If we don't notice the sign when approaching the business, it is NOT posted.

This would be fair, consistent.

smithman

If I fail to see the sign, and I'm concealed, who's going to know?

I was waiting for somebody to point this out. Also, half the places I've seen posted are not even the minimum size so it does not meet the law's requirements. Not meeting the requirements stated in the law = not enforceable. But the way our criminal justice system works, there will be an LEO and DA that decide to make somebody's life hell.

When I talk with anti's at a store, I would like to ask them why big box stores like Wal-mart, Home Depot, and Pick n Save haven't chosen to ban guns? Because they are not stupid and already know that it hurts their business.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Your right a LEO can arrest you for any thing when they do it unlawfully and wrongly they end up loseing in both criminal and civil court.

It would be nice that a unlawful or illlegal arrest was never made when its done by accident that one thing.

But when it is done knowingly and willfully that when the money starts to flow.

The bigger the mess up normally the bigger the pay outs.