• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is MGO offline?

eastmeyers

Been gettin this for awhile..

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MGO Community Forums Database Error[/FONT]
mgo_logo_small.gif
There seems to be a problem with the MGO Community Forums database.
Please wait 5 minutes before clicking the Refresh button in your web browser or otherwise trying to access the site.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff.
Rest assured, we are diligently working on the problem and apologise for any inconvenience.
Updates:​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The problem should be cleared-up in 5 minutes. Please try back then.[/FONT]​

PDinDetroit

Update

Michigan Gun Owners Website Outage

UPDATE: Friday, December 23, 2011 – 11:30am

We are aware of the ongoing outage and are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Our hosting company experienced a critical hardware failure and had to replace equipment. This affected several customers, MGO included.

They have replaced the failed equipment/hardware and are now in the process of rebuilding all of the accounts affected.

This can possibly take several more days before we are back up and running.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this process.

- Admin

Maybe I should offer some suggestions about hosting...

TheQ

Presently on the MGO home page:

UPDATE: MERRY CHRISTMAS! Sunday, December 25, 2011 – 1:00pm

We are aware of the ongoing outage and are actively working to resolve it as soon as possible.

Our hosting company experienced a critical hardware failure and had to replace equipment. This affected several customers, MGO included.
They have replaced the failed equipment/hardware and are now in the process of rebuilding all of the accounts affected.

- Admin

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Presently on the MGO home page:

UPDATE: MERRY CHRISTMAS! Sunday, December 25, 2011 – 1:00pm

- Admin

Ahh, good. I was wondering if it was a cleverly executed cyber attack by the Brady Bunch, or if that East German hardware finally crapped out.

PDinDetroit

Day 7 and still down. Sounds like they had a poor business plan as for as their web service.

Many Businesses/Organizations do not consider Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning and Provisioning as priorities until something happens, which is then too late. I have seen far too many times that even when such planning was done properly, the implementation of the plans was not quite "up to snuff". The usual culprit is Data Backups, which testing of Restore Requests needs to occur on a regular basis to ensure recovery can be achieved within the Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and to ensure minimal Data Loss within the Recovery Point Objective (RPO).

TheQ

Someone has been spending too many late nights with ITIL. Oh my....

This problem appears to be an issue with their hosting company -- not anything their IT team could have controlled (beyond choosing a different hosting company).

Good hosting companies are so cheap -- readyhosting.com being an example that comes to mind.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Do I sense a Liquid Web employee? If so -- cool, I may be interested in a job there.

Not an employee... though I would be interested in a job there... :) I just know they're a local company and I am aquaintenances with the owner and he went to the same high school as me. Pretty cool story really, how he got started, and where he is today as a young guy with a VERY massive pile of cash.

PDinDetroit

Someone has been spending too many late nights with ITIL. Oh my....

This problem appears to be an issue with their hosting company -- not anything their IT team could have controlled (beyond choosing a different hosting company).

Good hosting companies are so cheap -- readyhosting.com being an example that comes to mind.

Been working with this long before US Companies started adopting ITIL. Too many screwed up nights recently due to headaches the docs cannot figure out.

Hosting Provider issue or not, how many times has anyone outside of the Hosting Provider tested Backup and Restore properly? Usually, the answer is NONE and even the very best of providers can be "off" with this (we just "set and forget" and assume it is working properly). To me, this is like buying a specific type of SD Ammo, putting it in a gun, but never testing it at the range because it should "just work".

For a simple file test, create 3 text files on day 1 with the exact same contents. On day 2, change the second file contents slightly. On day 3, change the third file contents slightly but different from the other files. On day 4, delete the first and third files and change the contents of the second file. On day 5, request a restore from backup of file one and three from the day 3 date. This will test daily backups of new files, changes to existing files, and ensuring restore activities including not overwriting files not requested in the restore set.

For Database Files, this is a bit more complicated and depends upon the database and version in use, the data backup methodology of that database version, and the interplay of the backup software and version in use. These have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.