• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experience at Allen Arms

PistolPackingMomma

I’ve decided I want to replace my Glock with a single stack 9mm, so yesterday we went to Allen Arms to look around and try out the feel of a couple different models.

My husband took our son to look at holsters while I browsed the counters. Here we encounter problem #1. Even though several employees looked at me, and saw me checking out different guns, they all ignored me. HOWEVER, once my husband walked up and stood beside me, we got instant service. This has happened EVERY time I’ve gone to this store.

The employee helping us was a young guy, who directed his questions to my husband at first. We set him straight that I was the one looking for a gun, and this is where he started to get a bit of an attitude. I asked to look at a few different guns (CZ, Para, etc) just to see how they felt in my hand.
I commented to my husband that I liked the feel of the Para, but lamented that it was a .45.
Employee: “What’s wrong with a .45?”
Me: “I’m just looking for a single stack 9mm.”
Employee: (sneering) “Why 9mm?”
Me: “Um, because even though I have a .40, and my husband has a .45, and I can shoot them, it’s not fun to do so—“
Employee, interrupting: “No, it’s not.”
Me: “…and because I’m not very proficient with them.”
Employee: “What are you looking for? A self defense gun or plinking?”
Me: “Both. I need to practice with my carry gun.”
Employee: “9mm isn’t an effective caliber. Why not carry a .45?”
Me: “Um, because a higher caliber does no good if I can’t hit my target with it?”
Employee: “True, but I’ve heard some stories…I heard of this S.W.A.T. guy who was on a raid, and he shot a perp in the neck three times with a 9mm MP5, and the perp just kept running.”

(At this point, I had to duck down to look at the lower shelf to keep him from seeing my expression. Once I got the eye rolling under control, I stood back up.)

Employee: “Why not go with a revolver? They go bang every time.”
Me: “I’ve heard the same thing about Hi Points.”
Employee: “I don’t know where you heard that, but they need to grow up and get off the drugs.” Then he admitted, “I’ve never handled a Hi Point.”

My husband and I looked at each other and left without another word. (At least, until we got in the car :rolleyes:)

hp-hobo

Thanks for the tip on Allen Arms. If my wife and I ever got up that way we were going to stop in and take a look. You probably saved us a trip. If it's any consolation, that seems to be a common problem with gun sellers in South Carolina so don't take it personally.

Just out of curiosity, did he call you the "little woman" too? I actually saw that happen a couple of weeks ago at a gun counter in Sumter.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

If it's any consolation, that seems to be a common problem with gun sellers in South Carolina so don't take it personally.

Just out of curiosity, did he call you the "little woman" too? I actually saw that happen a couple of weeks ago at a gun counter in Sumter.
LOL! Not likely. I am sure PPM commands waay too much respect for so personal a remark.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Haha, no, he did not. If he had...well...it wouldn't have been pretty ;)

Hp-hobo, if you and your wife are looking for a good place to go for guns, I recommend Bob Gotts at Upstate Armory. He's out in Fountain Inn, but he's a great guy and he's got a great selection. And if he doesn't have it, he can usually get it. The only reason we went to Allen Arms was because we were already in Greenville.

dadpharm

HiThis seems to be a problem there. I am a soon to be non member and its takes a few min of staring to get their attnDont know whats wrong

hp-hobo

PPM, thanks for the tip on Upstate Armory. I don't know if we'll ever get up there but I have bought a gun or two from them at the state fairgrounds (Columbia) gun show. I agree, good folks.