• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would this be legal to carry?

xmanhockey7

I know someone who has a Kershaw Scallion knife. We got to talking about whether it would be legal to carry in Michigan (he is from Indiana) because of 750.226a.
750.226a Pocket knife opened by mechanical device; unlawful sale or possession; persons exempted.
Sec. 226a. Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements.

Here is a video showing how it opens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-D7jYlUok It's not really a button or mechanical way to get the knife to deploy but simply pressure put on the back of the blade that has a little metal on the back so you can open it.

And I do realize localities can regulate knifes as they are not preempted.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Define mechanical means.

I sure hope not.. I love my assisted opener....

What came to my mind was what is "mechanical means". It seems to me this would be legal and I would like to get that exact knife after seeing my friends.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
ive always wondered that too. ive heard cases on both sides of the state that even tho kershaw wrote a letter to the judge STATING that its not a switchblade the judge being a d-bag found the person guilty of carrying a switchblade and another judge stated that AO blades are not switchblades. The law is rediculously vague...whats funny is that AO blades are legal in Canada. This is per MEMORANDUM D19-13-2 of the CBSA. The only exception is that if it can be open centrifugally, your boned.

23. Torsion bar assisted-opening knives (folding knife, speed-safe knife, spring-assisted knife) – Folding knives
that use an internal “torsion bar” to assist in opening them
with one hand. The heart of this opening system is the
torsion bar in the handle of the knife. In order to open the
knife, the user must apply manual pressure to a thumb stud
or other protrusion on the blade, thereby overcoming the
resistance of the torsion bar. After the blade is moved
partially out of the handle by this manual pressure, the
torsion bar takes over.
24. In some cases, torsion bar assisted-opening knives can
be opened automatically by gravity or centrifugal force. If
this is the case, these knives would fall within the definition
of prohibited weapon, and be prohibited under TI 9898.00.00
unless an exemption in that tariff item applies.

I had a knife confiscated by CBSA in 2006 because I didnt know about the centrifugal piece of the law...

insanebuddy720

I used to have a gerber F.A.S.T. draw knife (Forward Assisted Spring Tension). Inside the box it came in was a sheet of paper describing the difference between the FAST system and a switchblade. Basically as I understand it, a switchblade u push a button that opens the knife. Now the gerber FAST draw u actually touch the backside of the blade (a little lip is what u push) and that moves it forward using springs. As I understand it because u are actually pushing the blade and the springs take over its not a switchblade. It looks likethe kershaw has a similar system to the gerber. I now carry a benchmade griptillian.

Ezerharden

AO knives

I have carried a SOG Trident AO knife for years and the only thing the police have ever asked me about it was where to get one.

Last edited: