• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Videos of Open Carry in every State

cotillion

I couldn't tell in the first video but every other OC video I watched of theirs had people toting around rifles. Seems like a given that you'll be hassled walking around town like we are in a 3rd world country.

Christopher

I couldn't tell in the first video but every other OC video I watched of theirs had people toting around rifles. Seems like a given that you'll be hassled walking around town like we are in a 3rd world country.

So what? It is their Constitutional right to Exercise them freely. I carry whatever i want, however i want within the scope of the law.

cotillion

So what? It is their Constitutional right to Exercise them freely. I carry whatever i want, however i want within the scope of the law.

As long as you don't complain about being hassled if/when it happens do what you gotta do. Can't expect to walk around looking like the dc sniper and not expect the cops to come. I understand educating the people and it being our right, but I can guarantee that the more this becomes an issue the faster our rights will go out the window. 2A supporters tend to forget that our "rights" can and do get taken away, infringed upon and violated.

Christopher

As long as you don't complain about being hassled if/when it happens do what you gotta do. Can't expect to walk around looking like the dc sniper and not expect the cops to come. I understand educating the people and it being our right, but I can guarantee that the more this becomes an issue the faster our rights will go out the window. 2A supporters tend to forget that our "rights" can and do get taken away, infringed upon and violated.

I disagree with you about losing my rights for using my rights. If what you say is true than everybody that speaks their mind and offends somebody is at risk of losing their Freedom of Speech. It's a fundamental right, and i challenge anybody to come and take any of them from me. That being said i do agree with you about complaining when LEO's makes contact as long as the LEO stays within the scope of the law. I have had nothing but friendly encounters with all LEO's that i have come into contact with. Always being kind, and respectful gets you a long ways.

Stay safe.
Chris

Oh and by the way, it's nice to see a new member here from Oregon.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

Are you saying that we should not have the expectation of being left alone by the police if we are engaged in a legal activity? I don't personally carry a long gun but I also don't oppose others doing it. If I am not engaged in a crime, I certainly expect the police to leave me alone.

Could you clarify your last sentence. I don't get your point. If our rights are infringed upon do you suggest that we sit idly by and wait until we have nothing? A right unexercised is a right lost.

Last edited:

We-the-People

Long gun open carry is not an allowed topic on OCDO except for California where it will soon be hte only means to carry without a unicorn (California Concealed Carry Permit).

Video's of OC'ers should be posted in their respective states. Not sure if that's a specific rule on OCDO but there's a reason there are forums for each of the states. Each has different laws, California for example has the 12031(e) check, Oregon only allows such a check when carrying in a "public building" (which is silly really since you can't legally carry there without a CHL and if you have one it's legal to be loaded), other states have widely varying regulations on where, when, and how carry is legal.

cotillion

Are you saying that we should not have the expectation of being left alone by the police if we are engaged in a legal activity? I don't personally carry a long gun but I also don't oppose others doing it. If I am not engaged in a crime, I certainly expect the police to leave me alone.

Could you clarify your last sentence. I don't get your point. If our rights are infringed upon do you suggest that we sit idly by and wait until we have nothing? A right unexercised is a right lost.

Because when you open carry a long gun its just like wearing a sign saying harass me! If you could give me any good reason why open carrying a rifle is necessary, other than "its my right", and ill stick my foot in my mouth. I open carry, I'm anti cop harassment, I'm 100% for our rights but if i saw a guy with a rifle I'd worry a little. I had lots of friends at the tacoma mall some years back when that kid came through blowing peoples heads off. Not all but MOST crazy shooting sprees involve long guns and even as someone who carries a firearm everyday that'd be the first thing I thought if I saw someone walking into a public place with a rifle.

The goal of 2a supporters is to educate and promote open carry correct? So then how does it help when people walk around with rifles to bring attention to themselves, then when they get the attention they run to the internet and post videos saying cops hate OC and if you OC you'll be harassed? Most people who open carry and simply go out and mind their own business don't get harassed, but there's hundreds of thousands out there wanting to carry but are to afraid because this picture is painted that if you carry a gun the cops will come.

Like I said I get the education part of it. For example the medford guy recently I understand the reasoning for the rifle as a demonstration outside on the streets, but going into public places is only going to tick people off and they'll all start throwing up their no gun signs.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Not all but MOST crazy shooting sprees involve long guns and even as someone who carries a firearm everyday that'd be the first thing I thought if I saw someone walking into a public place with a rifle.

I doubt this is true and I'd love to see a citation showing that I'm wrong. I've read about a ton of shootings and while I can certainly think of instances where long guns are used, there are too many times when they are not used to think that most shooting rampages are done with a rifle.

So then how does it help when people walk around with rifles to bring attention to themselves, then when they get the attention they run to the internet and post videos saying cops hate OC and if you OC you'll be harassed?

Here you are equating "getting attention" with having police officers violate one's fourth amendment rights. I don't think the two are the same. For example, good-looking women can dress to get attention, but dressing that way shouldn't mean that police can stop and harass them without the general population being extremely upset that the police would dare bother an individual simply for the way they choose to dress. One may be inclined to associate the recent "slut walk" protests to be similar to a group of people openly carrying rifles; we shouldn't place a single iota of blame on a woman for being raped if she chose to dress a certain way, and we shouldn't place a single iota of blame on a person who chooses to exercise a right a certain way and has the police illegally detain him. In both circumstances the criminal is the one entirely at fault, not the person doing nothing wrong.

Just my two cents.

cotillion

I'll ask again, other than "its my right" what is the benefit of carrying a long gun in public? It would be like getting a Tshirt made with dozens of swear words written on it to support my right to free speech. Same concept, both are offensive to most people.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I'll ask again, other than "its my right" what is the benefit of carrying a long gun in public? It would be like getting a Tshirt made with dozens of swear words written on it to support my right to free speech. Same concept, both are offensive to most people.

I can think of a few reasons. Long guns are more noticeable and unusual to see being carried, so one would be more likely to start a conversation about natural rights than if one were to carry a handgun. Long guns are more accurate weapons, so using a long gun would likely mean more precise shot placement which is important in more urban settings. Long guns deliver more energy to the target than a handgun can. Long guns are easier for a less experienced person to use. Long guns are more likely to be seen by criminals and thus more likely to deter crime. Long guns have a longer range than handguns, making it safer for an individual to engage a hostile target who is using a handgun. Long guns generally have better sights or more easily accept scopes which can help those with poor eyesight. One may accidentally conceal a long gun and not run afoul of concealed weapon laws. One doesn't need to be 21 years old to own a long gun. Carrying a long gun with a sling can be more comfortable than carrying a large handgun on one's hip. Long guns can be utilized as a striking weapon more easily than with a handgun. Long guns more easily accept larger magazines which allows one to engage more targets without reloading. Long gun ammunition generally defeats bullet-resistant vests. Long gun ammunition can penetrate certain types of cover that handgun ammunition could not (this can be a bad thing as well).

Are there negatives? Absolutely. Possibly even more than the positives. But I'm sure one could imagine how a person could place any of these benefits as being important enough to outweigh the negatives.

Christopher

I can think of a few reasons. Long guns are more noticeable and unusual to see being carried, so one would be more likely to start a conversation about natural rights than if one were to carry a handgun. Long guns are more accurate weapons, so using a long gun would likely mean more precise shot placement which is important in more urban settings. Long guns deliver more energy to the target than a handgun can. Long guns are easier for a less experienced person to use. Long guns are more likely to be seen by criminals and thus more likely to deter crime. Long guns have a longer range than handguns, making it safer for an individual to engage a hostile target who is using a handgun. Long guns generally have better sights or more easily accept scopes which can help those with poor eyesight. One may accidentally conceal a long gun and not run afoul of concealed weapon laws. One doesn't need to be 21 years old to own a long gun. Carrying a long gun with a sling can be more comfortable than carrying a large handgun on one's hip. Long guns can be utilized as a striking weapon more easily than with a handgun. Long guns more easily accept larger magazines which allows one to engage more targets without reloading. Long gun ammunition generally defeats bullet-resistant vests. Long gun ammunition can penetrate certain types of cover that handgun ammunition could not (this can be a bad thing as well).

Are there negatives? Absolutely. Possibly even more than the positives. But I'm sure one could imagine how a person could place any of these benefits as being important enough to outweigh the negatives.

+10,000 :banana:

PistolPackingMomma

Must....not....reply....to....idiot....postings!!!

maybe-you-should-get-off-the-internet.jpg

Dreamer

Actually, the "DC Sniper" was never seen in public in the DC area with ANY kind of firearm. In fact, he kept an incredibly low profile, and took his shots from the concealed position of the trunk of a modified Chevy Caprice sedan (which interestingly enough, was a surplused NJ Police undercover car they bought on September 11, 2002...)

If people in the OC community were going around "looking like the DC sniper", they would probably NEVER get harassed, unless it was for a burned out tail light.

Your "Metaphor-Fu" is weak, grasshopper...

Last edited: