• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed guard that looks like "SWAT" at Liljenquist Jewelers at Fair Oaks Mall

ocholsteroc

There's a difference between ridicule and hate. He flat looks silly.

BTW, I have that vest too. I used to wear it as a photo vest until another photog asked Grapeshot and I what milita we were in
I wear it on the tractor when I want to scare the crows now.:D

You could make some funny masks/faces and put velcro on it and place it on the vest. :p

lee's%20vest1.jpg

lol

Last edited:

rscottie

No one hates the "Mall Ninja"!

It is just fun to look at all the items some of them carry. If I had that much stuff on my alice gear, I would want the suspenders because it must be heavy.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You guys are brutal. :) The poor guy is just doing his job. If they pay him to wear all that garb, then why not? He's probably just happy to have a job this time of year.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Years go, I had a pretty decent relationship with Tom Liljenquist. I asked about the armed guards back then and he replied it was both show and insurance. When you carry as many Rolex's as he does (Over a million dollars), he is required (or was then) to have the guard. The guard is employed by a contractor, not by Liljenquist. I was told the customers feel "safer" he is there and spend more time in and maybe BUY then. He also likes the eyes to curb employee theft and just an extra set to overview things when it is busy that the cameras might not catch.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A question if I may.

I'm sure it's been covered and I overlooked it, but is Fair Oaks friendly to open and concealed carry? I seem to recall years ago going in there and concealing but I do not recall what their policy is.

Last edited:

PaulX608

They don't have a rule specifically banning any type of carry, but there is a rule about wearing things that upset people or something to that effect. I have heard of people being approached by security after having received a complaint, but never witnessed it. I've OC'd there quite a few times and have never had any problems. We do sometimes get OC'ers in my store and it has never been an issue with us. Work is about the only place I don't carry, so I'm usually there with an empty holster on me.

Sheriff

Years go, I had a pretty decent relationship with Tom Liljenquist. I asked about the armed guards back then and he replied it was both show and insurance. When you carry as many Rolex's as he does (Over a million dollars), he is required (or was then) to have the guard. The guard is employed by a contractor, not by Liljenquist. I was told the customers feel "safer" he is there and spend more time in and maybe BUY then. He also likes the eyes to curb employee theft and just an extra set to overview things when it is busy that the cameras might not catch.

If I have just bought a $20,000 Rolex, he better walk me to my car!

Just kidding!! But, it really would be a good idea.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
A question if I may.

I'm sure it's been covered and I overlooked it, but is Fair Oaks friendly to open and concealed carry? I seem to recall years ago going in there and concealing but I do not recall what their policy is.

I have also OCed there multiple times without incident. I was there last week and it was pretty busy for the holidays, no one said a word.

DJEEPER

Isn't that the original "We're from the Internet and we're here to save you" guy? Plus a few years and it looks a few less pounds too....

dontworryfrominternetdy4.jpg

MA'AM, HALT!!! I NEED TO CHECK YOUR RECEIPT! *examine for a second, marks with highlighter* As you were, ma'am, move along please....nothing to see here.

I would like to see pics of the guy.

Springfield Redhead

You know old adage about what happens when you assume; you make an a$$ out of you and me.

As a proud and responsible gun owner, I know that the absolute worst thing that you can do is assume. Do you ever assume that a gun is loaded or not loaded? No, you check everything out before you handle the gun. Do you assume that the noise you heard in the house at night is an intruder and run down the stairs with guns blazing? No, you go and carefully investigate the situation first. The same rules that apply to gun safety apply to everything else in life, which means you shouldn’t assume anything.

The L&B stores carry some very expensive merchandise and with the economy being on the downturn there is always a chance for things to happen, especially during the busy and chaotic holiday shopping season. Perhaps there had previously been an armed robbery attempt at that store. It is also possible that someone had made some sort of threats against the store in attempt to gain access to merchandise. Whatever the case may be, there is probably a very good reason for them to have an armed guard.

Now, with respect to the armed guard's attire you can’t assume anything about that either. Perhaps he had been on another job and had to fill in on short notice at the L&B store. It is also possible something happened to his “retail surveillance” uniform so he had to wear something else. Once again, it is wrong to assume anything about how the guard was dressed.

Anyone who thinks it would be funny to test an armed guard who is doing his job should be subjected to having a suspicious package mysteriously dropped at their feet wherever they are working. Better yet, maybe they should find out what it’s like to suddenly have some sort of life-threatening chaos caused at their place of business. Put yourselves in the guard’s shoes for a moment and think about how you would feel to have that happen to you when you’re just trying to do your job.

Considering the armed guard is most likely former military (as most of them are), he’s probably better prepared to handle the sort of stuff you’ve proposed handing to him better than you would in the same situation. Seeing that you’re all hiding behind computer screen making cowardly comments about someone doing a job that could be risky, it’s unlikely you have the balls to even take on the challenge of protecting others in potentially dangerous situations. You should be ashamed of yourselves for making fun of him.

DocWalker

I was in the Boise Idaho Best Buy getting a new TV to put in my "Man Cave" so I can watch football and do some reloading at the same time. Out of no where (ok the back room) came one of those mall ninja's eveyone has been talking about.

He was wearing all black with a tactical vest that said security across the back, he had a "bat" belt with various items such as handcuffs, pepper spray, and a ASP (extendable baton). He also had a small radio on his belt with a ear piece just like the secret service, dark glasses (it was 9pm), fingerless black gloves, and a baseball cap with security written on it; wearing it backwards on his head. He came over by the registars and he notice my 45ACP and gave me a wierd look and looked at his waist as if to say...."crap I'm out gunned, heck I don't even have a gun".

LOL

rscottie

You know old adage about what happens when you assume; you make an a$$ out of you and me.

As a proud and responsible gun owner, I know that the absolute worst thing that you can do is assume. Do you ever assume that a gun is loaded or not loaded? No, you check everything out before you handle the gun. Do you assume that the noise you heard in the house at night is an intruder and run down the stairs with guns blazing? No, you go and carefully investigate the situation first. The same rules that apply to gun safety apply to everything else in life, which means you shouldn’t assume anything.

The L&B stores carry some very expensive merchandise and with the economy being on the downturn there is always a chance for things to happen, especially during the busy and chaotic holiday shopping season. Perhaps there had previously been an armed robbery attempt at that store. It is also possible that someone had made some sort of threats against the store in attempt to gain access to merchandise. Whatever the case may be, there is probably a very good reason for them to have an armed guard.

Now, with respect to the armed guard's attire you can’t assume anything about that either. Perhaps he had been on another job and had to fill in on short notice at the L&B store. It is also possible something happened to his “retail surveillance” uniform so he had to wear something else. Once again, it is wrong to assume anything about how the guard was dressed.

Anyone who thinks it would be funny to test an armed guard who is doing his job should be subjected to having a suspicious package mysteriously dropped at their feet wherever they are working. Better yet, maybe they should find out what it’s like to suddenly have some sort of life-threatening chaos caused at their place of business. Put yourselves in the guard’s shoes for a moment and think about how you would feel to have that happen to you when you’re just trying to do your job.

Considering the armed guard is most likely former military (as most of them are), he’s probably better prepared to handle the sort of stuff you’ve proposed handing to him better than you would in the same situation. Seeing that you’re all hiding behind computer screen making cowardly comments about someone doing a job that could be risky, it’s unlikely you have the balls to even take on the challenge of protecting others in potentially dangerous situations. You should be ashamed of yourselves for making fun of him.

Welcome to OCDO!

As you have just signed up and this is your first post, I would suggest you use the search feature and look up "Mall Ninja". The original "Mall Ninja" has been discussed here and many places and is famous on YouTube.

Any comments made, and I can only speak for myself, but assu...uh, never-mind, MY comments were in jest and intended to be satirical/funny.

Personally, I think that being a Security Guard is a thankless job that has the potential to be very dangerous yet the pay is not great.

If I offended you or someone you love, it was not my intent. Sorry.

OC for ME

Armed guards in businesses? OK, if they can afford it, more power to them.

There is a reason banks, lots of money there, do not have armed guards. And it is not the cost related pay armed guards.

In fact, the manner of dress described would likely be a deterrent to crime. regardless of the ridiculousness factor.

Be welcome to consider all the pros/cons of armed guards in a business frequented by the citizenry.