• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

visiting Greensboro in the spring.

renoglock22

So I am going to be coming to town to visit my family for a week. I really don't want to leave my firearm at home across the country. I was wondering if anyone knew any regulations on transporting firearms on a plane and maybe some advice for OCing in NC. A few years ago my dad flew out here and brought me a gun but it had to be unloaded in a locked case under the plane with no ammo in sight. Not sure if much has changed. Anyway any advice on OC around NC would be great. Also where are some good places to get cheap ammo for the week in Greensboro?

importinvasion

Open carry around greensboro has not been much of a problem for me so far. I've visited most stores, gas stations, etc.. without issue other than the occasional stare. Hardest part is that most restaurants serve alcohol, so no carry inside. Other than that and avoiding school zones its a thumbs up. :thumbup: And if your interested in shooting while your here, Calibers is a pretty good range to visit, and its very close. Just use caution in High Point. The officers there seem to be less educated on oc, or just don't seem to care. I haven't decided yet which it is.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

importinvasion

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Keep an eye out for gun buster signs. There are more than a few of them, and of course they are off limits.

renoglock22

Open carry around greensboro has not been much of a problem for me so far. I've visited most stores, gas stations, etc.. without issue other than the occasional stare. Hardest part is that most restaurants serve alcohol, so no carry inside. Other than that and avoiding school zones its a thumbs up. :thumbup: And if your interested in shooting while your here, Calibers is a pretty good range to visit, and its very close. Just use caution in High Point. The officers there seem to be less educated on oc, or just don't seem to care. I haven't decided yet which it is.

That sucks about the restaurants that serve alcohol. Here in NV we can carry in a bar and even drink while carrying as long as you are under the legal limit of 0.08 BAC. I still wouldn't drink while OC. Also what are the Gun Buster signs?

renoglock22

Ok, so I leave to fly to Greensboro net thursday and have read through the threads here. What I have learned is, No carrying in places that serve alcohol, most parks are off limits, obviously schools. What am I missing? What about carry in cars? How does that work? I can conceal in my car here without a permit as long as it's not on me and I can OC as long as it's visible. (seatbelts and other people covering the gun don't count as concealed) I just want to make sure it's worth bringing my gun across country on the plane.

Also, the guide to carrying guns on a plane helped a lot. I converted my .50 cal ammo can into a locking gun box for this trip. No one will be getting away with that.

Kivuli

If you're going to carry in a car, just make sure it's plainly visible. On the passenger seat or dashboard works for that. If you don't want to leave the gun visible, your only recourse is to either put it in the trunk, or lock it in a locking glove box with the key on your ignition key ring. It can't be "readily accessable". And if you have no CHP you cannot conceal unless you are on private property the person in apparent control of which has authorized you to do so.

As for cheap ammo, Greensboro itself doesn't have many places to buy cheap ammo other than the usual WalMart. There is a little gun store tucked away off Merritt Dr called "Powers" that has decent ammo prices. Other than that, you're looking at going to Colfax Gun & Ammo on the west side of the city. Your other options are Gander Mountain (which while pricey is very OC friendly), southern firearms that mostly only sells LE ammunition, or Streicher's (Which used to be Arrington Police Supply) which also sells mostly LE ammunition. Calibers, which is off of Downwind Rd, has average ammo prices and they're a pretty decent range. $15 for two days' time.