Thread: Recorder

Recorder

I was wondering what type of recorder everyone uses. I've been using some cheap old on that works alright but I'd like to get something newer and better. Recommendations?????
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I use the Sony ICD-PX312. I wear it on a lanyard around my neck under my shirt so it is hidden. It works great.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

I use my iPhone. It has an audio record. Not only that it also has a video application that can upload audio and video in real time to the internet -- where it can't be erased from the phone or by destroying the phone.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    ^ thats the best way, if you can.

I use an Olympus vn-6200pc It does a very good job. Keep it in a cell phone case, and on a lanyard. Keeps it from getting lost or dropped. If it's windy, flip it upside down in the case, keeps the wind off the mic.

Sony ICD-UX512 works great
    ”To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    -George Mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVeXbBdSOQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbD2zsar7Ps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEqkDABoddM

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I use the Sony ICD-PX312. I wear it on a lanyard around my neck under my shirt so it is hidden. It works great.

Same one here for me, also my adroid with cop record on it just incase i forget my recorder or batteries die
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Don't forget about Mich porcupine 911 if you get in a pinch and only have the celly...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Don't forget about Mich porcupine 911 if you get in a pinch and only have the celly...
    since i signed up for it all I get is recordings of Porcupine 911 being butt dialed
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb Some things to think about

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I was wondering what type of recorder everyone uses. I've been using some cheap old on that works alright but I'd like to get something newer and better. Recommendations?????
    Okay - I'll give you the cliff notes rant here goes:

recorder alone = good
    +
    Using the Mi411 line (734-879-2411) [programmed in speed dial settings] via blue-tooth & cell phone -> audio is saved live to a web server = better

All of the above + a hidden video recorder (stealth) = Superior coverage
    [a video is worth a MILLION words].
    Example: some yahoo(s) says you pulled on him/her/it/them for no reason? You never touched your openly carried pistol, If they aren't saying anything and there are no witnesses a voice recorder is useless. And it's their word against yours when the cops show up......who's going to jail?

It is ALWAYS better to be over prepared than it is to be under prepared in my honest opinion, especially when your freedom and life may be on the line.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 12-22-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    deleted
    Last edited by stainless1911; 12-22-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I had a video...................
    PM sent
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 12-22-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

I am pretty happy with my "olympus ws-520m" will record all day on one charge and will record all week on the memory. it has 5 files with unlimited recordings in each file. i use one file for each day of the week, then dump them onto my desktop computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Okay - I'll give you the cliff notes rant here goes:

recorder alone = good
    +
    Using the Mi411 line (734-879-2411) [programmed in speed dial settings] via blue-tooth & cell phone -> audio is saved live to a web server = better

All of the above +a hidden video recorder (stealth) = Superior coverage
    [a video is worth a MILLION words].
    Example: some yahoo(s) says you pulled on him/her/it/them for no reason? You never touched your openly carried pistol, If they aren't saying anything and there are no witnesses a voice recorder is useless. And it's their word against yours when the cops show up......who's going to jail?

It is ALWAYS better to be over prepared than it is to be under prepared in my honest opinion, especially when your freedom and life may be on the line.
    Video puts a face to the words spoken... and can present a visual record of what DIDN'T happen regardless of how many people say it did happen.

Oh... Hi ya G9mmOS!!!! Merry Christmas from Yooperlady and me too.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Smile

Right back at you Sir. Best wishes to you & yours.

For me, it is just not practical to have three recorders, including video, running all the time. I have a life to live.

I almost always carry a recorder, sometimes i carry two, if i think there is a higher than usual probability of having a run-in with leo. ie: I oc'd on school property watching the 4th of July fireworks and made sure to carry two recorders.

When i went with dougw to do the gun buyback in detroit, i figured we were almost 100% guaranteed to have a run-in with leo, so i had a video camera in my hand, one hidden video camera, and one audio recorder.

One problem with using a phone as a recorder, is that unless it is in airplane mode, an incoming phone call can/will stop the recording.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

You can now get video coupled with a flashlight, video which is hidden in sunglasses, video which looks like bluetooth. Problem is, activating it when you need it, having it running when you're surprised, ambushed.

I do like the idea of a trigger activated cam on your handgun, not sure if this is being made yet. It would give some evidence of a good shoot, I think.

I use the Olympus, with a USB port and a very small MP3 player which can record audio for backup. I also am almost always with a partner so there's a witness of anything that goes down. Since I've never been in a dicey situation in 50+ years, I don't expect it to happen now. We don't go to stupid places, etc.

Good luck on the recorder search. Lots of options.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

+ 1

That's the same one I use and I have found it to be most adequate.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    You can now get video coupled with a flashlight, video which is hidden in sunglasses, video which looks like bluetooth. Problem is, activating it when you need it, having it running when you're surprised, ambushed.

I do like the idea of a trigger activated cam on your handgun, not sure if this is being made yet. It would give some evidence of a good shoot, I think.

I use the Olympus, with a USB port and a very small MP3 player which can record audio for backup. I also am almost always with a partner so there's a witness of anything that goes down. Since I've never been in a dicey situation in 50+ years, I don't expect it to happen now. We don't go to stupid places, etc.

Good luck on the recorder search. Lots of options.
    Seems like the gun mounted camera is simply going to record the last few tenths of a second of the baddies life. I can't imagine too many scenarios (yes, there are some, I acknowledge) where I'm going to have someone at gunpoint for an extended period of time before the engagement is terminated.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)