• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is The Most Reliable Pistol you own or have owned

Operator_223

my 3rd gen glock 21 (.45 acp). I have two of them and they work flawlessly. My glock 19 is just as flawless. all completely perfect running out of the box.

Wish I could say the same for my 2 stock springfield loaded 1911 pistols.

xmanhockey7

Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Springfield. They'e all reliable and there are others out there. Personally I like and trust Glock the most.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
CZ75. Never, ever a hiccup for me, even when firing all sorts of weird ammo, in awkward positions, full of dirt, whatever. To be fair, I have some other handguns with the same record (Wilson M1911, for example) but all of them are considerably more expensive than the CZ so I consider the affordable price to be a tie-breaker.

Edited to add: My wife has torture-tested her Smith and Wesson M3913 "Ladysmith" with as much as 400 rounds in one day and it has been impressive as well. She wanted me to point this out. :) (However, it also was more expensive than the CZ, so the CZ still wins.)

Last edited:

09jisaac

Edited to add: My wife has torture-tested her Smith and Wesson M3913 "Ladysmith" with as much as 400 rounds in one day and it has been impressive as well. She wanted me to point this out. :) (However, it also was more expensive than the CZ, so the CZ still wins.)

Torture-tested? I don't see much that could go wrong with a revolver that wouldn't put it out of commission. Failure to feed/eject is the same as operator error until you start breaking/bending things.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Torture-tested? I don't see much that could go wrong with a revolver that wouldn't put it out of commission. Failure to feed/eject is the same as operator error until you start breaking/bending things.

"Ladysmith" was used to tag a variety of S&W handguns. The 3913 is a semi-auto. "Torture-tested" is a bit of hyperbole for effect, since in my opinion any firearm should be able to handle 400 rounds in a day. The point was that the pistol is very reliable.

09jisaac

"Ladysmith" was used to tag a variety of S&W handguns. The 3913 is a semi-auto. "Torture-tested" is a bit of hyperbole for effect, since in my opinion any firearm should be able to handle 400 rounds in a day. The point was that the pistol is very reliable.

My apologies, when I read "Ladysmith" I thought you were referring to revolvers as that is the only guns I have ever heard called by that.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I own a lot of guns and my observation has been that anything from a "major manufacturer" will usually work every time. I suspect that the wide spread of responses to the OP's question mostly reflects the wide spread of firearms the respondents have owned. The real difference comes when you get down into the less expensive (or more cost-effective) handguns. In the under $500 category, it falls off pretty abruptly. I don't rate the CZ75 as *more* reliable than the Wilson 1911, but it cost 1/7 as much. To be honest, I carry the Wilson much and the CZ little but that's because I just love the M1911 platform.

I also own a number of Smith and Wesson revolvers and they all go bang every time you squeeze the trigger. Yes, I know that was not the original question but I maintain that for utter reliability the revolver wins out because it doesn't have the one glaring weakness of the semi-auto -- the magazine. I don't remember the exact figure but when a semi-auto pistol (or rifle for that matter) fails, it's almost always the magazine. Whatever pistol you have, do not cut corners on the magazine. I use only Wilson magazines in my Wilson pistol, but I also use only Wilson magazines in my Norinco M1911.

Buy the best magazines you can afford and if you can't afford the best magazines made, put the pistol on a shelf and save up until you can afford them. Number your magazines with an electropencil or something and if a magazine ever fails to feed -- even once -- take it out of your carry lineup and use it only for practice or just destroy it. The one exception is when it is obvious that the failure was due to ammo. You only get one life and when you're dead you stay dead for a long time.

45acpForMe

Sig P220 and H&K USP have been the most reliabile meaning zero problems with all kinds of ammo after thousands of rounds.

Other notable mentions were the Colt 1911 railgun I sold (and regret a wee bit), the FNP-45 I have only has about 600 rounds through it and only had one FTF which may not have been the guns fault. (sloppy quick magazine reload)

I trust my life on the Sig & H&K most days though. :)

dashowdy

my glock 17 which was born in dec. 1990 and sold to a community college for law enforcement training where it has stayed the last 20 years then I bought it off a gunbroker website, all I did was clean it and lube it up and 1k rounds it has not had one hiccup. Going to get another glock 9mm here soon for the wifey.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
believe it or not my Glock 23...the one I shoot the best with and is my 2nd most reliable is my Citadel compact 1911.

jmlefler

I had one FTF with my 92FS... it was a crimped reload. One. In over 1000 rounds.

My Beretta 92 is my most dependable semi-auto. I've fired a at least three thousand rounds through it. I think I had a jam once, maybe twice, with factory mags. I've almost exclusively shot gun show reloads through it of various quality. [ I do have a gunshow no-name 30 round mag I bought during the AWB at a gun show which won't feed period, but that's hardly the gun's fault. ]

cbpeck

Kimber Custom CDP II...

I realize that 1911 aficionados will critique the Swartz firing pin block and MIM parts, but the gun has run several thousand rounds flawlessly, and is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever shot.

Last edited:

berngren

The most accurate pistol I own is the FN 5.7. The 4 sigs I own are very accurate too. But the 5.7 have no recoil at all. Which make it the most accurate for me to handle. Under stress, just point and shoot.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have used a great deal of weapons in my thirtyfive years of military service. Weapons that were new, weapons that were old. The pistol that tops my personal list was my Navy issue Remington 1911A1. Carried it for three trips to SE Asia and abused it severely. It ALWAYS fired when I needed it.