• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is The Most Reliable Pistol you own or have owned

celticredneck

I'm talking about pistols here not revolvers. For me it is my current preferred carry gun, my S&W 457. I have never had any kind of failure with this pistol, from right out of the box to nearly
a thousand rounds through it. I have mixed ball ammo with hollow points and different bullet weights and it just goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I'd highly recommend this gun to anyone if they can find one for sale

eman223

Ive had my sigma sw40ve for for almost 5 years and never had an issue (firearm related) as long as i keep heavier rounds in it. Trigger sucked but a spring and some polishing fixed that right up. Ive recently been trying different rounds through it and found what i think is going to be the most accurate reliable and cost efective round for me anyways. I recently purchased a keltex p11 and it went bang every time so far. But that trigger is a whole differnt story lol

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
My Beretta 92 is my most dependable semi-auto. I've fired a at least three thousand rounds through it. I think I had a jam once, maybe twice, with factory mags. I've almost exclusively shot gun show reloads through it of various quality. [ I do have a gunshow no-name 30 round mag I bought during the AWB at a gun show which won't feed period, but that's hardly the gun's fault. ]

Last edited:

G30Mike

My Glock 30 has never missed a beat. Fmj's Hp's, regardless. I also shoot IDPA with it and its gone bang every time its needed to and never when it wasn't supposed to.
Really, any of my glocks have been very reliable but the 30 is my favorite.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
The only gun I own that has NEVER jammed so far is the sig. But to be fair, it hasn't been around as long as my other guns.

p.publius

My Glock 19

I have now run over 10,000 rounds (no brag, just fact) through my Glock 19. Some have been low power reloads, some have been off brand hardball and about 300 have been various brands of JHP. The only time this gun has jammed or had a failure to eject was when I failed to hold it tightly. :eek:

Ya, I know... It is a Glock, and some of you don't like Glocks. Well I can drill a dime at 25 feet with it (no brag, just fact) and I know I have to be super careful when I re-holster so the shirt does not get inside the trigger guard.

My 1911 Kimber does not like federal JHPs.

My 1911 Sig Saur does not like BRV hardball ammo

My favorite Hi-Standard Supermatic Citation will only eat CCI plated .22 and HATES hollow points.

Live and learn.

Robert

tim12232

first my Dan Wesson CBOB .45 about 1100 rounds through it, 2 ftf in the first 15 rounds through it. "break in"

second my Sig p229 enhanced elite, 500 rounds "pretty new" no FTF or FTE at all "2nd because the round count"

third my glock 19 gen4 about 1500 rounds through it 5 ftf in the first 100 rounds no problems since "but occasional brass to face"

the Sig and Glock are my normal EDC, the Dan Wesson doesnt get carried much because of the value of it!

Tim

onlurker

I've had the following through my possession or have them currently in my possession:

Sig P226 (.40)
Sig P239 (.40)
Sig Mosquito
Taurus 856
Taurus PT111
Taurus 709 Slim
Springfield XD(M) 9mm
Kimber Pro Carry II

And thus far, all of them except the Mosquito have been 100% reliable. The Mosquito starts acting up (usually slow to chamber) after about 300-400 rounds mostly because it's 22LR and lead/powder fouling likes to gum-up the feed ramp and chamber. A splash of oil in the chamber port tends to keep things going until I run out of ammo.

j4l

At present- my PT 845. 1300+ rounds, mix of GDHP and Speer TMJ -(230 grain, only) zero FTF/FTE or jams of any kind, whatsoever. (so much for the Taurus-bashers... :rolleyes: ), and no magazine issues. Dead-on accurate.

and an old Raven .25 - nearly 20+ yrs old, tens of thousands of rounds through it. No jam/ FTE- did have one FTF with the 1st Gold Dot I tried running through it-ended up being operator headspace, I hadnt seated the round fully into the mag.

In the past (and yes, I feel like an idiot for ever letting it go on a trade), an old Makarov. Those things are just plain built like tanks. If you can find a way to break one, or make it jam/ FTF/ FTE I'd love to see someone get a pic of that..

Springfield 1911 I once had yrs. ago, not the least picky about ammo it was fed. Always, always, always went BANG when I did my part..

j4l

^ still want to get one of those.. maybe after the holidays..

.45acp

I have had the good fortune to own a number of very reliable firearms in my life. One stand out is the Colt 1911 purchased used in 1988 on my hip as I type. Better than 70 K rounds and damn few hicupups that could not be attributed to ammo or broken parts. I have replaced the trigger twice, sear twice, extractor 3 or 4 times, pins 2 times, springs every 2500 or 3000 rounds and had it rebushed. It likes almost everything from SWC to most HP's. I feed it a steady diet of 230 gr HP's or ball jacketed or cast, does not seem to make a difference.

Of the 15 or so 1911's I own it is by far my favorite.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Colt "second generation" Delta Elite 10mm in all stainless. It was without a doubt the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Not only was it nearly 100% reliable, but it would cycle any ammo I put in it, and it was laser-accurate with the good stuff. Just a flawless pistol.

It did have some modifications, but not by a gunsmith. I put a Wilson "Dwyer Group Gripper" full-length guide rod in it, and it had a Videki adjustable trigger, and Wilson springs. But other than that, it was pretty much "box-stock".

Every time I see a 10mm, I kick myself for having sold that gun. It was a real cherry...

MKEgal

celticredneck said:
I'm talking about pistols here not revolvers.
:banghead:
revolver & semiautomatic
are subsets of pistol
which is a subset of firearms

just like
rifle & shotgun
are subsets of long gun
which is a subset of firearms

As for the original question, the most reliable pistols I've shot are Glocks.
Only had a handful of malfunctions with one, which was a rental, and filthy, & having ejector problems (about 5 of 50 shots).
Have never had a problem with any of mine.

Took a class last week from someone who's been a LEO, a LEO trainer, &/or shooting for close to 40 years, & he told us that the brand of pistols which needed the fewest repairs, broke down the least, & held up classes the least was Glock.

Last edited:

.45acp

Colt "second generation" Delta Elite 10mm in all stainless. It was without a doubt the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Not only was it nearly 100% reliable, but it would cycle any ammo I put in it, and it was laser-accurate with the good stuff. Just a flawless pistol.

It did have some modifications, but not by a gunsmith. I put a Wilson "Dwyer Group Gripper" full-length guide rod in it, and it had a Videki adjustable trigger, and Wilson springs. But other than that, it was pretty much "box-stock".

Every time I see a 10mm, I kick myself for having sold that gun. It was a real cherry...

I have two Deltas Elites, one in Blue, the other SS. You are right, mine ate everything. I don't have a lot of rounds thourgh the SS gun (6 k or so) but they sure work.

Steve

SovereignAxe

My P99. Haven't had it long, only a few hundred rounds through it, but the only malfunction has been a FTE and that was because of a squib load from a 30+ year old cartridge.

Other than that it eats up FMJ, lead nose, hollow points, doesn't matter. I'm thinking about buying some steel cased stuff and seeing how that fares in it lol

Last edited:

decklin

It's a tossup between my Sig 1911 Target and my H&K USP9C. They have both performed flawlessly and I am amazed at how accurate the USP is beyond 50m.