• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MAIG Mayor stops intruder with a gun

John Canuck

Mayors Against Illegal Guns member uses a gun to hold an unarmed intruder. :shocker:

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_103096/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ldUxdYIy

As he [Mobile,AL Mayor Sam Jones] pulled into the driveway, he noticed that his truck had been tampered with and that his garage door had been opened.

He drew his .38-caliber pistol and advanced on the garage until he saw a man inside without a shirt.

The mayor asked him what he was doing. The man replied that “the Lord sent him.”

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wilkerson was compliant the entire time and at no time did Jones feel threatened.

How nice! You mean that if you carry a firearm for protection, it can help you to feel less threatened by bad guys?

What a concept!

So, why is it that hypocritical mayors feel that this privilege of feeling less threatened by bad people only belongs to them?

How much press is this getting in Mobile?

Last edited:

John Canuck

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/Mayors_Against_Illegal_Guns_under_fire

The FBI released a report this week, showing Mobile with a "top ten" murder rate nationwide.

Mayor Jones says that's proof too many illegal guns are on the streets.

"Illegal guns have become major, major problems, especially with our young people," he said. "We have 14, 15, 16-year-olds who own 9 millimeters, who either bought them from someone or bought them out of a gunshop."

They bought them at a gunshop? Did you learn this from Bloomberg?

Shouldn't you try to cut down on murders regardless of the tool used?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
My firearm isn't illegal. Come on, guys, it's Mayors against illegal guns. For some, that equates to all guns, at least in their minds. Apparently not for this gent.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My firearm isn't illegal. Come on, guys, it's Mayors against illegal guns. ...

That's right. And the "Violence Policy Center" is only concerned with stopping gun violence.

And the "Patriot Act" was only,...... oh wait a minute...

Last edited:

Ken56

I wonder if there is a local resident who would be willing to write a letter to the editor openly asking the good mayor what his stance on the second ammendment is and for him to respond thuough the paper. Now, as pointed out earlier the opperative word here is ILLEGAL guns, which by the way are NOT USUALLY PURCHASED at gun shops but STOLEN in residential breakins. All the more reason to CARRY YOUR WEAPONS ON YOU........much less likely for them to be stolen. Now, I know we all have more guns than we can reasonalby carry at one time so lock'em up when you don't need them out.

Fine

I wonder if there is a local resident who would be willing to write a letter to the editor openly asking the good mayor what his stance on the second ammendment is and for him to respond thuough the paper. Now, as pointed out earlier the opperative word here is ILLEGAL guns, which by the way are NOT USUALLY PURCHASED at gun shops but STOLEN in residential breakins. All the more reason to CARRY YOUR WEAPONS ON YOU........much less likely for them to be stolen. Now, I know we all have more guns than we can reasonalby carry at one time so lock'em up when you don't need them out.

+1

Kirbinator

I can't speak for Mobile, but I have seen it around the papers in Alabama. The concern is that the Mayor doesn't/didn't possess a pistol license, which is required to transport a pistol in a vehicle, according to Alabama law.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Does that mean the mayor was in possession of an illegal gun?

Will Bloomberg revoke his membership?

Last edited:

Dreamer

The way I see it, Mayor Jones is in violation of SEVERAL Alabama laws.

First, if it is true that he does not have a permit to carry, under AL Code § 13A-11-75. (License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person) he committed a misdemeanor if he was in fact carrying concealed, or carrying in a vehicle if the gun was withing easy access and loaded.

Second, since he admits that he "at no time felt threatened", he SHOULD be charged with Second-degree Assault (§13A-6-21) or Menacing (13A-6-23). However, AL has no "brandishing" statute on the books, so he is NOT guilty of "brandishing". But these two previously-mentioned charges ARE often used is such circumstances. Under AL's "Castle Doctrine" laws, protecting your property is NOT justifiable cause for the use, or threat of use of deadly force.

Fortunately for the Mayor, there are TWO SETS OF LAWS for TWO CLASSES OF PEOPLE in the US, and as a member of the sacred, anointed Ruling Class, the laws that apply to the plebes don't apply to him, at least not in the eyes of most LEOs, Prosecutors, and Judges.

So much for the 14th Amendment...

Last edited:

John Canuck

Does that mean the mayor was in possession of an illegal gun?

Will Bloomberg revoke his membership?

No. They keep all kinds on the list including those that are criminals and some that are no longer breathing.

Last edited:

Ken56

I see no reason at all NOT to hold his feet to the fire and demand that he answer the questions if he has a permit and if he carries in his vehicle and if his weapon is registered. I also believe that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL COME OF ANY VIOLATIONS UNCOVERED involving this incident. Anyone of the "ruling class" is exempt, right???

Kirbinator

In 1840, The Supreme Court of Alabama held that the sheriff of Montgomery County did not need to carry a concealed pistol because he already had "the power of the county"... He was the sheriff, with the power to call the militia and so on.

The mayor, to the best I am aware of, does not carry similar powers. However, the city does have some police power. It is unclear if the mayor has any of that power as executive.

Brimstone Baritone

Just a couple of nit-picks about an otherwise excellent post:
First, if it is true that he does not have a permit to carry, under AL Code § 13A-11-75. (License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person) he committed a misdemeanor if he was in fact carrying concealed, or carrying in a vehicle if the gun was withing easy access and loaded.
Alabama law makes no such distinction. An unloaded gun is still a 'deadly weapon' under our laws, and it is illegal to have in any part of the vehicle without a permit. An unloaded gun locked in the trunk requires a permit within the state with few and limited exceptions. However, there was no cause for arrest because a permit is not needed once you are on your own property, and there is no way to prove the weapon was concealed or in a vehicle before it was used.

Second, since he admits that he "at no time felt threatened", he SHOULD be charged with Second-degree Assault (§13A-6-21) or Menacing (13A-6-23). However, AL has no "brandishing" statute on the books, so he is NOT guilty of "brandishing". But these two previously-mentioned charges ARE often used is such circumstances. Under AL's "Castle Doctrine" laws, protecting your property is NOT justifiable cause for the use, or threat of use of deadly force.

If you look at 13A-3-25 you will see that one can use deadly force to prevent criminal trespass, but only in defense of a person or to prevent arson. His statement that he "at no time felt threatened" is damning evidence against him, should it ever go to trial. Which it won't.

Kirbinator

If you look at 13A-3-25 you will see that one can use deadly force to prevent criminal trespass, but only in defense of a person or to prevent arson. His statement that he "at no time felt threatened" is damning evidence against him, should it ever go to trial. Which it won't.

I could see saying that if I'm holding a person at gunpoint. If I felt threatened, I'd have pulled the trigger.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
They didn't create the 5th amendment for nothing...not that it matters if you're an elitist crony.

Jake8x7