• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man wearing baggy pants, "wife beater" undershirt, OCing wth holser too big for gun.

PackinXD40

Man wearing baggy pants, "wife beater" undershirt, OCing wth holser too big for gun.

So this baffled me today when I went into Pep Boys in hampton, to get a few car items. I noticed a black man kinda just lurking around the store, and like always I am very observant when I carry so he just caught my attention from the get go, kinda a shady looking fella in my opinion, nothing new i guess for the Hampton Roads area. Anyways, he had on a pretty big wife beater, baggy black jeans that hung down to his ass, and what threw me completely off guard was the holsterd firearm he was open carrying. Now i know appearance is everything when carrying a loaded weapon and this just blew my mind that someone would go out like this carrying. I mean the holster was way to big for the gun. I figured either the gun was going to fall out of the holster or if he would of let go of his pants the weight of the gun would have just pull his pants down the rest of the way. This just shocked me so much i ended up just leaving the store and went to auto zone and personally this makes me feel like this is the reason people look down on open carrying. Sorry for venting but this just kinda pissed me off and thought i would share my anger a little bit.

Anyways, opened carried to Pep Boys :/, Auto zone then to target in hampton.

Last edited:

Marco

No offense.

JMHO, but this thread is useless without pics.

Actually I believe it's actions not appearance is everything.

Badger Johnson

I hate to say it but I think I would have called that one in, due to the unsafe nature of the holster. If someone is using an over-size holster he's doing something wrong or even more suspicious and better he gets talked to than end up grabbing it and having a ND.

VW_Factor

I hate to say it but I think I would have called that one in, due to the unsafe nature of the holster. If someone is using an over-size holster he's doing something wrong or even more suspicious and better he gets talked to than end up grabbing it and having a ND.

Who are you to say what holster is ok, and what sort of holster is not ok?

(just to play the devil's advocate)

PackinXD40

No offense.

JMHO, but this thread is useless without pics.

Actually I believe it's actions not appearance is everything.

well taking a picture wasn't my first thought, but now that I'm thinking about it i should have lol. I do agree with you tho, actions are very important, but I'm still a firm believer in carrying your self in a matter or professionalism, in what you do and what you wear, especially when caring a firearm.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hey, at least he was carrying (and in a holster at that). If he wasn't committing a crime, then more power to him. As for his style of dress, to each his own. I personally try to look presentable when carrying but actions are the important part.

Last edited:

BillB

Why are they called wife beaters?

The TV show "COPS" had a lot do with the creation of this slang description. Nearly every time they showed a guy getting arrested for beating his wife he was wearing one of these sleeveless undershirts.

curtiswr

I think the best thing you did was to get super angry and huff out of the store. </sarcasm>

Why didn't you take an opportunity to educate the man on better holster options?

Oh right... because being judgmental caused you to fluster, get angry, and not think of possible good outcomes.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

O rly? I wear these under my shirts, I don't have a wife. So am I a beater? :eek:

Why are they called wife beaters?

To be honest, I dont really know..

Getting to the creation of the term, Urban Dictionary lists it ..

"Its reputation comes from those wearing the shirts while engaged in domestic violence."

architect

The TV show "COPS" had a lot do with the creation of this slang description. Nearly every time they showed a guy getting arrested for beating his wife he was wearing one of these sleeveless undershirts.
Not a chance. This was a common term back when I was in high school in the 60's, long before COPS was even a gleam in Langley and Barbour's eyes.

My understanding is that it references Stanley Kowalski's recreational attire as depicted in the 1951 classic A Streetcar Named Desire, but that may well be a myth too.

Last edited:

BillB

Not a chance. This was a common term back when I was in high school in the 60's, long before COPS was even a gleam in Langley and Barbour's eyes.

My understanding is that it references Stanley Kowalski's recreational attire as depicted in the 1951 classic A Streetcar Named Desire, but that may well be a myth too.

I challenge you to find a cite with the term "wife beater" used to refer to a sleeveless shirt prior to 1990.

the_hustleman

I think the best thing you did was to get super angry and huff out of the store. </sarcasm>

Why didn't you take an opportunity to educate the man on better holster options?

Oh right... because being judgmental caused you to fluster, get angry, and not think of possible good outcomes.

Basically.

Speaking as a young black man (that wears his pants at his waist) we are targeted enough by police because of how we like to dress (i like big baggy pants, they are simply comfortable, but use a belt!) And I don't see why you ran, I highly doubt he was unqualified to own that gun if he was openly carrying it.

He just didn't know enough about holsters. Should have just given him a good word on secure holsters for safety reasons and made a positive experience out of it.

After that, THEN you mention why you should pull your pants up and look more presentable while carrying.

I do it all the time, sadly guns are seen as evil in most black communities, but I educate many about the truths of guns and carry.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Basically.

Speaking as a young black man (that wears his pants at his waist) we are targeted enough by police because of how we like to dress (i like big baggy pants, they are simply comfortable, but use a belt!) And I don't see why you ran, I highly doubt he was unqualified to own that gun if he was openly carrying it.

He just didn't know enough about holsters. Should have just given him a good word on secure holsters for safety reasons and made a positive experience out of it.

After that, THEN you mention why you should pull your pants up and look more presentable while carrying.

I do it all the time, sadly guns are seen as evil in most black communities, but I educate many about the truths of guns and carry.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Good post Hustleman!

Just for the record, a few of us older members also have problems with our pants, it's just called plumbers butt with us. Grapeshot has whipped it with suspenders and expect I should follow suit.:eek: