• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man wearing baggy pants, "wife beater" undershirt, OCing wth holser too big for gun.

TFred

Good post Hustleman!

Just for the record, a few of us older members also have problems with our pants, it's just called plumbers butt with us. Grapeshot has whipped it with suspenders and expect I should follow suit.:eek:
Here's your answer:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/plumbers/

:D

TFred

[video=youtube;oTBfRExOMv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTBfRExOMv8[/video]

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So this baffled me today when I went into Pep Boys in hampton, to get a few car items. I noticed a black man kinda just lurking around the store, and like always I am very observant when I carry so he just caught my attention from the get go, kinda a shady looking fella in my opinion, nothing new i guess for the Hampton Roads area. Anyways, he had on a pretty big wife beater, baggy black jeans that hung down to his ass, and what threw me completely off guard was the holsterd firearm he was open carrying. Now i know appearance is everything when carrying a loaded weapon and this just blew my mind that someone would go out like this carrying. I mean the holster was way to big for the gun. I figured either the gun was going to fall out of the holster or if he would of let go of his pants the weight of the gun would have just pull his pants down the rest of the way. This just shocked me so much i ended up just leaving the store and went to auto zone and personally this makes me feel like this is the reason people look down on open carrying. Sorry for venting but this just kinda pissed me off and thought i would share my anger a little bit.

Anyways, opened carried to Pep Boys :/, Auto zone then to target in hampton.

Huh?!!?!

I didn't know "people looked down on open carrying".

And, any individuals who do "look down" on open carrying are either anti-self defense, CC-only, or it just violates their illusion of security.

I think you are reading way too much into this.

SirTiger

So this baffled me today when I went into Pep Boys in hampton, to get a few car items. I noticed a black man kinda just lurking around the store, and like always I am very observant when I carry so he just caught my attention from the get go, kinda a shady looking fella in my opinion, nothing new i guess for the Hampton Roads area. Anyways, he had on a pretty big wife beater, baggy black jeans that hung down to his ass, and what threw me completely off guard was the holsterd firearm he was open carrying. Now i know appearance is everything when carrying a loaded weapon and this just blew my mind that someone would go out like this carrying. I mean the holster was way to big for the gun. I figured either the gun was going to fall out of the holster or if he would of let go of his pants the weight of the gun would have just pull his pants down the rest of the way. This just shocked me so much i ended up just leaving the store and went to auto zone and personally this makes me feel like this is the reason people look down on open carrying. Sorry for venting but this just kinda pissed me off and thought i would share my anger a little bit.

Anyways, opened carried to Pep Boys :/, Auto zone then to target in hampton.

longdogdealwithit.gif

Attachments

• longdogdealwithit.jpg
    longdogdealwithit.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 124

nuc65

Activist Member
The TV show "COPS" had a lot do with the creation of this slang description. Nearly every time they showed a guy getting arrested for beating his wife he was wearing one of these sleeveless undershirts.

The slang terms has been around a lot longer than the COPS tv show.

BillB

The slang terms has been around a lot longer than the COPS tv show.

Can you find even a single cite where the term is used to describe a sleeveless shirt prior to 1990? The Cops TV Show began in 1989.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Can you find even a single cite where the term is used to describe a sleeveless shirt prior to 1990? The Cops TV Show began in 1989.

I always heard the term "wifebeater" when I started in LE back in '95, so I know its at least that old.

One day, someone used the term "A-frame" to describe the same shirt and that was a new one to me.

wrightme

I challenge you to find a cite with the term "wife beater" used to refer to a sleeveless shirt prior to 1990.
It would be challenging to find a cite for ANYTHING on the internets .... prior to 1990......
Heck, I think I wasn't even pc-enabled then......

wrightme

This thread reminds me of another hot thread with a similar theme. Is there any real difference between the person described in the two threads other than one wearing camo and the other a sleeveless shirt and baggy pants. Should we even comment on the clothing a person wears while carrying?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...led-an-amicus-brief-in-the-Embody-v-Ward-case

Whether a person agrees or disagrees with it, there are plenty of people who DO judge others by how they appear. In this case, one OC'er did make a judgement about how another person appeared, and chose to alter their actions based upon the appearance.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Whether a person agrees or disagrees with it, there are plenty of people who DO judge others by how they appear. In this case, one OC'er did make a judgement about how another person appeared, and chose to alter their actions based upon the appearance.

You just hit the nail on the head! It doesn't matter what we in the OC community think about how one dresses; it's what the larger, non-OC, non-firearm community see and judge us on.

I will say that it would have been much better if the OP had greeted the guy with the baggy pants and made a courteous comment about the oversized holster. At best, he could have started a good conversation. At the very worst, the guy would have told him where to go and what to do when he got there.

BillB

It would be challenging to find a cite for ANYTHING on the internets .... prior to 1990......
Heck, I think I wasn't even pc-enabled then......

No need to be restricted to the Internet, but there are plenty of references and searchable works created prior to 1990 that are on the Internet.

Steeler-gal

Seriously? You need a cite for this? I've been using the term since my college days and I graduated in 1992.
It's not just a sleeveless shirt it's the sleeveless undershirt that used to be called (and prob still is called) a muscle shirt.

BillB

Seriously? You need a cite for this? I've been using the term since my college days and I graduated in 1992.
It's not just a sleeveless shirt it's the sleeveless undershirt that used to be called (and prob still is called) a muscle shirt.

The cite is only requested for a documented use prior to 1990. At issue is when did "wife-beater" first become a term in popular use to describe a sleeveless shirt. I can't find anything prior to 1993 and the below cite says 1994:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wifebeater

curtiswr

The cite is only requested for a documented use prior to 1990. At issue is when did "wife-beater" first become a term in popular use to describe a sleeveless shirt. I can't find anything prior to 1993 and the below cite says 1994:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wifebeater

If you can google enough to get to that you can google enough to get to this one that says the 1700s...
http://www.pauldavidson.net/2005/05/13/words-for-your-enjoyment-wife-beaters/

Now can you PLEASE shut the hell up about the origin of the term, put your rulers away, and get back on topic?

Last edited:

G30Mike

Usually in the summertime ill wear nothing but a wife beater and jeans. I hate shorts because of my chicken legs. Beaters are comfortable and keep me cooler than a T shirt. Of course I don't sag my pants, but I do wear what you may call "baggy" jeans. I'm not into the nuthuggers my dad wears.