• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reporter fakes boarding pass skates through TSA security-Smoke Screening, Vanity Fair

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/12/tsa-insanity-201112
Charles C. Mann said:
The vast cost is not worth the infinitesimal benefit. Not only has the actual threat from terror been exaggerated, they say, but the great bulk of the post-9/11 measures to contain it are little more than what Schneier mocks as “security theater”: actions that accomplish nothing but are designed to make the government look like it is on the job. In fact, the continuing expenditure on security may actually have made the United States less safe.
Long article.

since9

Campaign Veteran
It might be old, but it remains valid. The only way TSA can properly vet travellers is if they had a scanner to scan bar-coded boarding and gate passes which verified an individual's ID as entered into the systems by the airlines themselves. Even then, they really won't have much of a clue if a terrorist simply bought a ticket.

sharkey

This doesn't allow you to board the plane, only get into the terminal. You still have to go through security.
If you want to board the plane as a known/suspected terrorist you have to buy a fake ID and use a prepaid credit card (or cash I guess) with the fictitious name on the fake ID.

Unless you can make a perfect non forgable ID then everything else is moot.

Steeler-gal

It might be old, but it remains valid. The only way TSA can properly vet travellers is if they had a scanner to scan bar-coded boarding and gate passes which verified an individual's ID as entered into the systems by the airlines themselves.

May be I'm misunderstanding the above but TSA does scan either the paper boarding pass or your e-smartphone boarding pass before going through security. I don't disagree that there are massive holes in our security checks. The checks check to see that the person on the boarding pass and the ID holder are the same person but they don't (I don't think) actually authenticate your identity.

Sent using Tapatalk