• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC store open carry?

94 at Large

Weapons Prohibited - According to 14-269.2, Any establishment where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed.

Reading this would mean that unless it has a sign indicating you can't it should be legal.

Last edited:

bigl0af

Weapons Prohibited - According to 14-269.2, Any establishment where alcoholic beverages are both sold and consumed.

Reading this would mean that unless it has a sign indicating you can't it should be legal.

See that is how I figured it too. I didn't know if ABC stores were covered in some other statue with regard to open out concealed carry.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Dreamer

ABC stores in NC are NOT owned by the State--they are private businesses. Unless they are posted, it is 100% legal to carry--OC or CC--in a NC ABC store.

nobama

Just went to one tonight, this one is posted and they had a LEO in there playing security guard. I guess its ok to have police OC because they are waaaaaay better trained.

bc.cruiser

ABC stores in NC are NOT owned by the State--they are private businesses. Unless they are posted, it is 100% legal to carry--OC or CC--in a NC ABC store.

Not real sure exactly the relationship between the local ABC board and the contractor operating the store, but they are not private businesses. Towns and counties establish the local board which operates the stores. The monies collected go to the State Treasury.

I used to go OC into the store near me, but they moved to a new building which is now posted against all forms of carry. This is in Fayetteville by the Raeford road WalMart.

M

mattwestm

The ABC stores in Pitt County aren't posted. I've OC'd in a store twice and no one said a word.

I still don't understand why anyone thinks these state controlled liquor stores are a good idea. I saw a report recently and it showed that some stores in rural areas are in the red. In fact, these same stores have lost revenue for years. However, the report stated that some of these stores will be closing fairly soon.

Too bad we can't get private run liquor stores like the majority of the other states have. It's nice being able to purchase liquor in WalMart at a cheaper price and with a better selection.

chiefjason

I still stand by my statements in the DC link above. I OC in the local one that is not posted in Mtn View. The one's in Hickory are all posted, or at least the close ones. Basically it is public, but it's locally owned and operated. The facility is not operated by the state and is not state owned.

"However, ABC stores are not owned or operated by the state... NO state or local tax funds are used to support local ABC systems. Each city or county unit is allowed to vote on establishing its own stores. We are the Catawba County ABC serving the citizens of Catawba County."

From here

http://catawbacountyabc.com/home.html

dashowdy

I could not find a thing on the abc website for wake county being state run, the one from me up on capital blvd that I usually go to is not posted, may give it a try this afternoon when I go to pick up my crown royal for christmas eve.

bigl0af

OK I talked to a lady at the Johnson county ABC board and she said that the store policies are set by the board, they do have a policy prohibiting firearms, and that the commission is a county government agency. I told her I would take this issue to the ballot box, and that it would be nice if they posted this at the door.

Maverick9110e

They seriously need to privatize the ABC stores. I mean closed on holidays? I can't tell you how many times on Thanksgiving morning or something i would need to run to the liquor store to pick up an extra bottle for a party... NOPE. Or on a Sunday or something. It's not doing any good whatsoever, but god forbid the Guberment relenquish their powers, lol.

Gun4aDay

Ask anyone in New Hampshire what the right way to sell alcohol is...

The ABC stores in Pitt County aren't posted. I've OC'd in a store twice and no one said a word.

I still don't understand why anyone thinks these state controlled liquor stores are a good idea. I saw a report recently and it showed that some stores in rural areas are in the red. In fact, these same stores have lost revenue for years. However, the report stated that some of these stores will be closing fairly soon.

Too bad we can't get private run liquor stores like the majority of the other states have. It's nice being able to purchase liquor in WalMart at a cheaper price and with a better selection.

I moved up from CT where they had a "package store" every hundred yards or so back in the 70's. But at 8PM, everything closed from Saturday till Monday, so at 7:30 it was all aholes and elbows to get to the packy. I moved to NH where liquor stores are state run...very cheap...and turn a great tax dollar. How can you NOT make money on a monopoly? Beer and wine are available in convenience stores and supermarkets.

When will people in government learn to find something that works and copy it? This is not a sixth grade book report...

chiefjason

OK I talked to a lady at the Johnson county ABC board and she said that the store policies are set by the board, they do have a policy prohibiting firearms, and that the commission is a county government agency. I told her I would take this issue to the ballot box, and that it would be nice if they posted this at the door.

No it would not be nice if it was posted. If they can't remember to put one on the door, don't remind them.

I'm not getting why folks are questioning this. The link I provided is very clear that Catawba county is NOT state run. Why would the rest be? They are simply local gov. agencies.

bigl0af

No it would not be nice if it was posted. If they can't remember to put one on the door, don't remind them.

I'm not getting why folks are questioning this. The link I provided is very clear that Catawba county is NOT state run. Why would the rest be? They are simply local gov. agencies.

By "state" I mean government.. State run = government run...

buzzsaw

So, let me see if I got this straight. The Federal Govt. in the form of the IRS and under the authority granted it seizes a bordello in Nevada for back taxes and can't make a profit. (I think the name was the bunny ranch or something like that) The NC State Govt. sets itself up a monoploy to run stores selling Booze and can't turn a profit. But there are still idiots in this country who think there will be no problems turning our entire health care system over to the govt. to run so it will cost less??????

Sc0tt

between Orange, Randolph Guilford, and Wake counties I have never seen a store that it wasnt posted.

Dreamer

The stores in Beaufort County are posted too, from what I've seen. But Pitt county is sort of variable as to whether they are posted or not...

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
A Cabarrus county store I frequent is posted but I went in OC on 12/24, anyway. The place was fairly busy but none of the four employees said anything. I don't feel like disarming for a sign, so I figure they can ask me to leave if they want to make an issue of it.