• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC store open carry?

Smith45acp

I really only go to two, one in Cary off of Cary Towne Blvd, and one in Raleigh off of New Bern Ave.

Neither are posted at all, and I've been maybe 4 times since Thanksgiving and no one has mentioned it. Except the panhandlers that are always outside of the New Bern Ave location.

"Hey is that a real gun? Can I get a dollar from you?

"Yes, and of course not. Get a job, xxxx."

chiefjason

By "state" I mean government.. State run = government run...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

There is a big difference with gun laws between state and local Government. State Gov building are off limits per statute, at least for CC per the scope of permit. Local Gov buildings are decided on by the local Gov in question. When you are trying to understand gun laws in NC, the difference between state and local is a big deal.

Sc0tt

A Cabarrus county store I frequent is posted but I went in OC on 12/24, anyway. The place was fairly busy but none of the four employees said anything. I don't feel like disarming for a sign, so I figure they can ask me to leave if they want to make an issue of it.

A bit dangerous, Signs in NC have power of law if I remember correctly:

§ 14-159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

This is what they use to prosecute people who enter with gun busters signs, the legal argument being that the sign was the owner telling you not to enter with the gun and you did so anyway

The second word is "vis". The root for visor, vista, etc.

"If you are looking for (seeking) peace, prepare for war"

dashowdy

wake county

Finally got a response back from the wake county abc board.

Craig Pleasants cpleasants@wakeabc.com
4:40 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Hello Mr.xxxxx. It is permissible for a person to lawfully carry a concealed weapon on abc board property. No Wake County ABC stores are posted banning carrying lawfully concealed weapons.

I would check on State and local laws concerning carrying lawfully concealed weapons if you are not familiar with them. Thanks for inquiring.

so assuming that it does not say no openly carried handguns wake county abc stores should all be ok to carry in, assuming they are identified as county and not state property.

chiefjason

assuming they are identified as county and not state property.

My last attempt at explaining this. They are local government entities. Check the link, 5th paragraph, last 2 sentences. I would cut and past but the site will not let me. The state generally does not buy property for county and city use.

"local independent political subdivisions of the state."

http://www.wakeabc.com/history.html

BGreenberg

CCH Instructor

I just attended an in service update class for CCH instructors. One of the lawyers teaching the class specifically said carrying in any fashion is illegal in an ABC store because it is a state store and is treated like state property (office, courthouse...) Right or wrong that is the policy they teach the instructors.

ncwabbit

must have missed that point...

during my update training and it is not even mentioned in the presentation material handed out...

in fact it was flat out embarrassing watching three hundred ppl pepper the assistant state attorney with 'what if' questions which he truly tried to answer... at which point another audience member would slightly change the 'what if' initially asked *wow just like on this forum*

if this is how the subject came up i am afraid the attorney was overwhelmed as it was plain to see there is sufficent gray area to make a sane attorney crack.

personally... going w/the previous poster's comments and to assure i do not have any problems, probably not going to bring the subject up to my students during class, especially since the majority of the ABCs in the area have BIG signs on their doors and windows.

wabbit

Last edited:

chiefjason

I just attended an in service update class for CCH instructors. One of the lawyers teaching the class specifically said carrying in any fashion is illegal in an ABC store because it is a state store and is treated like state property (office, courthouse...) Right or wrong that is the policy they teach the instructors.

He is absolutely, positively, 100% wrong that they are state property. It simply cannot get any clearer than the statement on the Catawba County ABC board site. How can it be treated like state property when it is NOT state property?

"However, ABC stores are not owned or operated by the state... NO state or local tax funds are used to support local ABC systems. Each city or county unit is allowed to vote on establishing its own stores. We are the Catawba County ABC serving the citizens of Catawba County."

http://catawbacountyabc.com/

No hate

So, let me see if I got this straight. The Federal Govt. in the form of the IRS and under the authority granted it seizes a bordello in Nevada for back taxes and can't make a profit. (I think the name was the bunny ranch or something like that) The NC State Govt. sets itself up a monoploy to run stores selling Booze and can't turn a profit. But there are still idiots in this country who think there will be no problems turning our entire health care system over to the govt. to run so it will cost less??????

The government will never turn a profit on any endeavor. That is not what the gov is for. Look at your example of the ABC stores in NC. I too heard they are operating at a loss. How could you loose money on a monopoly on boose sales!? Simple, they pull the profits out of it in inflated admin salaries and redirects to other agencies. What other answer is there? They don't know how to add and subtract?

AFA health care, my BCBSBA went up 27% this year (I am self employed and pay my own costs 100%). Seems I made the mistake of using it for a minor Carpal tunnel surgery. I should have just paid the operation out of pocket up front. I am paying for it anyway now.

My brother in law needed emergency gall bladder surgery last year. He has no insurance. Guess who is paying his $60K bill? Me and other people who actually buy insurance. Until we can turn people away from the emergency room private insurance will also be artificially expensive.

Yes guvmnt run will also be just as expensive, perhaps more so due to redirects, but at least they can't toss you off of it when you use it for catastrophic illness.

Back on topic. I open carry at the Clemmons ABC all the time. There are no signs posted on that store. I carry all around Clemmons stores except for the post office and town hall. In fact I open carry all day from Winston to Greensboro from Walnut Cover to Lexington. I have not yet had an issue with store owners or LEOs I have run across. I love this state!

wilsondeacon

No signs at the Country Club Road ABC store. (Winston-Salem)

The government will never turn a profit on any endeavor. That is not what the gov is for. Look at your example of the ABC stores in NC. I too heard they are operating at a loss. How could you loose money on a monopoly on boose sales!? Simple, they pull the profits out of it in inflated admin salaries and redirects to other agencies. What other answer is there? They don't know how to add and subtract?

AFA health care, my BCBSBA went up 27% this year (I am self employed and pay my own costs 100%). Seems I made the mistake of using it for a minor Carpal tunnel surgery. I should have just paid the operation out of pocket up front. I am paying for it anyway now.

My brother in law needed emergency gall bladder surgery last year. He has no insurance. Guess who is paying his $60K bill? Me and other people who actually buy insurance. Until we can turn people away from the emergency room private insurance will also be artificially expensive.

Yes guvmnt run will also be just as expensive, perhaps more so due to redirects, but at least they can't toss you off of it when you use it for catastrophic illness.

Back on topic. I open carry at the Clemmons ABC all the time. There are no signs posted on that store. I carry all around Clemmons stores except for the post office and town hall. In fact I open carry all day from Winston to Greensboro from Walnut Cover to Lexington. I have not yet had an issue with store owners or LEOs I have run across. I love this state!

Last edited:

NC-Heel

They are County owned and operated stores. When you write a check to them you make it out the the _______ County ABC. Each county buys its' inventory from the State run ABC warehouse who sets the prices for the state but the property and operation is a County run facility.

aosailor

If the ABC stores are truely State Government run, the the stockers and cashiers are government employees... Ask them what benifits they get for being state employees? Why wouldn't state employees have benifits???

ABC store in Mooresville is posted no guns. in fine print it states "per ABC law" with some numbers. gonna have to go get a pic of the sign. I though it was kinda odd

NC-Heel

If the ABC stores are truely State Government run, the the stockers and cashiers are government employees... Ask them what benifits they get for being state employees? Why wouldn't state employees have benifits???

ABC store in Mooresville is posted no guns. in fine print it states "per ABC law" with some numbers. gonna have to go get a pic of the sign. I though it was kinda odd
They are county employees and get the same benefits as other County employees.