• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked Out of Rest Stop for OC

bcr229

It turns out that the particular rest stop in question has recently posted no firearm signs. Yes, this violates WV law but apparently (from what has been PM'ed to me) LE doesn't care and there are cases which people are currently in trouble for it.
Interesting. Where were the signs located? On the building, in the parking area, or ??? I have to do some travelling this weekend and can check the two rest stops on I-81 in the eastern panhandle for signs.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
The I-79 south welcome center in Monongalia County is the only posted rest area in the state. This sign is posted at the entrance to the building:

20111103 WV I-79 South Mon County Welcome Center CPZ sign small.jpg

Last edited:

Sig229

The I-79 south welcome center in Monongalia County is the only posted rest area in the state. This sign is posted at the entrance to the building:

View attachment 7671

Problem is, that sign was definitely not there while I used the facilities.
Im not sure if they take it down from time to time or not. And when I told the maintenance guy "there arent any no firearm signs in there" he said "well, there is I just hadnt put them up yet"

Maybe only this goof puts them up while he's working?

Last edited:

hermannr

BTW: The facilities in Europe are labled WC (means water closet, as in toilet) sounds like the "Wecome Center" (aka WC) needs to change terminology.

Sig229

BTW: The facilities in Europe are labled WC (means water closet, as in toilet) sounds like the "Wecome Center" (aka WC) needs to change terminology.

Yes, when I was traveling throughout China the restrooms were also labeled as "WC".
However, since we are talking about West Virgina, I figured shorting it to WC it wouldn't confuse anyone.

Moodock

Any update at serving notice on the state agency to remove the illegal sign?

I'll be traveling through there tomorrow, so I will make it a point to stop at the welcome center and check to see if the sign is still posted.

Oh, and greetings all. I'm new here.

bc.cruiser

I'll be traveling through there tomorrow, so I will make it a point to stop at the welcome center and check to see if the sign is still posted.

Oh, and greetings all. I'm new here.

If they are, please get and post, a picture showing the print at the bottom left so we can see what authority they cite.

Sig229

If they are, please get and post, a picture showing the print at the bottom left so we can see what authority they cite.

That was already posted on page 1 of this thread.
It looks like they are just using a generic "NO GUNS" sign and it does not cite any WV law.
Here is the pic:

attachment.php

Superlite27

I think it would be cool to photoshop a sign with a red slash through a picture of this sign. Then hang it next to this sign saying, "It is illegal to ban firearms from public use areas. This sign (arrow) is illegal, NOT your gun."

Last edited:

Sig229

I think it would be cool to photoshop a sign with a red slash through a picture of this sign. Then hang it next to this sign saying, "It is illegal to ban firearms from public use areas. This sign (arrow) is illegal, NOT your gun."

Better yet, a sign with a gun and no red cross mark saying that guns are allowed and site the specific WV law.

Dreamer

Better yet, a sign with a gun and no red cross mark saying that guns are allowed and site the specific WV law.

You mean like THIS:

429252_3245548422415_1378034894_3267185_128857576_n.jpg

It would be put to best effect, printed out tabloid size, and posted to the RIGHT of the "official" sign, so the muzzle of my sign is pointed at the "official" sign.

IF anyone wants to post these, please PM me with your email address, and I'll send you a high-resolution PDF that will print out beautifully...

Please be advised, however, that unauthorized posting of bills on WV State Property may be a violation. Proceed at your own risk with acts of artistic civil disobedience.

IANAL, and IANRFYA (I Am Not Responsible For Your Actions)

Last edited:

Sig229

You mean like THIS:

Please be advised, however, that unauthorized posting of bills on WV State Property may be a violation. Proceed at your own risk with acts of artistic civil disobedience.

IANAL, and IANRFYA (I Am Not Responsible For Your Actions)

LMAO!
That sign is great!
If some of our legal minded folks can find out if its legal to post that on state property, I will post it next to the other sigh and take pics.

Ordinarily, I would care about some flyer posting law, but there are cameras all over the rest stop and I dont need to get in any trouble.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Thank you WVCDL, for getting this matter cleared up.

I travel through that area several times a year, and usually stop at that rest stop, and am glad to know that I can exercise my 2A rights at WV rest stops while traveling with my family.

ickthus

To bad this is not in Florida. The employee who posted the sign would be fined $5000 a day out of his personal checking acc. and the city or county would be fined $500,000. We don't play this game with state laws anymore. Now if we can just get open carry back.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I just passed through WV on my way to the Outer Banks and I made sure to OC at every rest stop I encountered. I did not have a word said to me, although I did have a few folks give me some wierd looks. Interstate 64 to 64/77 to 64. Glad you have resolved this issue!

Sig229

Glad to hear this was resolved.
A big thanks to WVCDL and to those who all wrote the local officials.

I will OC there again and report back. Maybe in a couple of weeks.