• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and marijuana?

fire suppressor

I really hate even posting this but I have tried researching this and I can't find what I am looking for. Not to offend anyone but I am very anti pot or any other drug. I have worked in EMS for 8 years and can tell you we have a suit case full of drugs that can do anything pot can do and then some. Plus our pills do not give you lung cancer. I see absolutely zero reason why anyone should be allowed the legally possess this substance. But as we all know its not that hard in this liberal state to get a medical marijuana card. Despite my constant lecturing a good friend of mine did get his card. Is it legal for me to be in possession of a gun if I go to visit him? I have looked at Chapter 69.51a RCW Medical cannabis(formerly medical marijuana) and can not find anything. Am I missing what I am looking for or is it not there? My 2nd amendment rights are more important to me than my friends life style

Sorry for a bit of a personal rant there I do not mean to get personal and I do not think less of anyone out there who does legally use the stuff this is just a issue I have very strong feelings on. No offence intended, thank you for the help

Trigger Dr

You can have the gun in your possession, as you are not the user of the MJ. Be aware though, LEO may not consider the fact that you are not a user. Just being in the presence of the user will cast some suspicion on you. I know that this is what happens from personal experience.

J_Oliver

It's a plant...

"And if you should so happen to set it on fire, it has some...interesting side effects" ( as spoken in the voice of kat williams). I know, its not a joke. I don't know how the law goes in your state but I wouldn't take the chance. Just my $.02...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
"And if you should so happen to set it on fire, it has some...interesting side effects" ( as spoken in the voice of kat williams). I know, its not a joke. I don't know how the law goes in your state but I wouldn't take the chance. Just my $.02...

I've never smoked marijuana and don't plan on it. The OP not only posted his situation but also his opinion on marijuana so I felt he wanted some sort of response to that.

It is a plant, but you think it should be ILLEGAL - AGAINST THE LAW OF THE LAND for someone to merely posses it. Do you feel the same about cigarettes and alcohol?

No offence intended, thank you for the help
By the way, no offense taken. I'm just curious on what else you think is an acceptable reason for the government to reach their hands into people's personal lives so we can compare and contrast.

Last edited:

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

Well, first of all I have to disclose that both my parents were in the field of medicine (now retired). From what they personally witnessed, marijuana was a boon to patients of theirs with severe illnesses (AIDS, Cancer, etc...). In discussions with my mom, she noted that she would rather have a patient use cannabis for pain management than opiates (just for the addiction levels alone). Some cases she saw were so severe of course, that some patient's pain could only be alleviated with high levels of morphine (and even that only took the "edge" off the pain). After having a couple of herniated discs in my back, I can somewhat understand how debilitating a high level of pain really is. You lose your appetite, you can't sleep, and the pain does not let up - it is constant. Very, very, distressing and serious to say the least.

I think that like a lot of other drugs/alcohol, marijuana can be abused. But, there is a place for it if used maturely and legally (if possible).

As for hanging out with friends that are high (on drugs or alcohol for that matter) while you are armed: I don't think that it is such a good idea. I was brought up being told that you are judged by the company you keep. This is absolutely true. If an armed conflict were to present itself to you while you are with a friend that is high you leave yourself open to attack from a prosecutor that would attack your judgment in being with the said individual. It's all about how the jury perceives you afterall. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be friends with someone who imbibes, but as for walking around in public with them while they are high and you are armed? Use your best judgement.

waterfowl woody

man made chemical pills may help a person with a specific issue but it ends up killing something else in them. man made chemical pills are hit and miss and the medical fields that perscribes them are taking chances with there patients life. MJ made natural and yes if you smoke it for 80 years straight you might get lung issues, might! Pill poppers are much more deadly then any MJ smoker. Oh and a Pain medication that actually works, priceless! so long chemical industry thats profiting from us being there guinee pigs.

J_Oliver

I've never smoked marijuana and don't plan on it. The OP not only posted his situation but also his opinion on marijuana so I felt he wanted some sort of response to that.

I was simply quoting a comedian. I meant no harm in completing your sentence with something from one of his comedy central specials. What I FEEL or what I believe has no relevance on how the judicial system will view it...

Metalhead47

I really hate even posting this but I have tried researching this and I can't find what I am looking for. Not to offend anyone but I am very anti pot or any other drug. I have worked in EMS for 8 years and can tell you we have a suit case full of drugs that can do anything pot can do and then some. Plus our pills do not give you lung cancer. I see absolutely zero reason why anyone should be allowed the legally possess this substance. But as we all know its not that hard in this liberal state to get a medical marijuana card. Despite my constant lecturing a good friend of mine did get his card. Is it legal for me to be in possession of a gun if I go to visit him? I have looked at Chapter 69.51a RCW Medical cannabis(formerly medical marijuana) and can not find anything. Am I missing what I am looking for or is it not there? My 2nd amendment rights are more important to me than my friends life style

Sorry for a bit of a personal rant there I do not mean to get personal and I do not think less of anyone out there who does legally use the stuff this is just a issue I have very strong feelings on. No offence intended, thank you for the help

I think you kinda stepped in it there bro, with the soap-box add on. I will try to restrain my opinions and just
asset.php
for now ;)

Dave_pro2a

Based on context clues within your post I'd advise:

1) don't see your friend any more.
2) don't hang around with ANYONE that smokes pot.
3) don't erroneously try to use your EMS experience to extrapolate knowledge about medical issues. You're not a doctor. You bring people to Doctors and provide very limited treatments while in route.

Merry Christmas

joeroket

Based on context clues within your post I'd advise:

1) don't see your friend any more.
2) don't hang around with ANYONE that smokes pot.
3) don't erroneously try to use your EMS experience to extrapolate knowledge about medical issues. You're not a doctor. You bring people to Doctors and provide very limited treatments while in route.

Merry Christmas

I would have to agree with this.

Being around your friend while MJ is present could get you cited for possession. Constructive possession is possession afterall and could be the downfall of your career.

hermannr

MJ is much less dangerous than a lot of "legal" drugs, has fewer harmful side effects, and would be the drug of choice for treating glaucoma if given the option. Don't demonize MJ, demonize the misuse of anything the Goo Lord gave us to use, but not abuse. Mj should be decriminalized...that whole kit and kaboodle is just the same as some are intolorent of OC, or talking about the birth of Christ during Christmas...

Back to could you/should you carry when you visit your frend? Why not? You are not doing anything illegal, and a person that has a MMJ card is NOT any moer dangerous or addicted to a chemical substance...anymore that someone that has just taken 3 mg of Clonapin or Ativan,,,,and as an EMT I'm sure that you know what a dose like that would do to someone...BTW: Ativan is very addictive, but is given every day for panic and anxiety. MJ is NOT chemically addictive, but will do the same thing. Why is MJ so bad?

Metalhead47

MJ is much less dangerous than a lot of "legal" drugs, has fewer harmful side effects, and would be the drug of choice for treating glaucoma if given the option. Don't demonize MJ, demonize the misuse of anything the Goo Lord gave us to use, but not abuse. Mj should be decriminalized...that whole kit and kaboodle is just the same as some are intolorent of OC, or talking about the birth of Christ during Christmas...

Back to could you/should you carry when you visit your frend? Why not? You are not doing anything illegal, and a person that has a MMJ card is NOT any moer dangerous or addicted to a chemical substance...anymore that someone that has just taken 3 mg of Clonapin or Ativan,,,,and as an EMT I'm sure that you know what a dose like that would do to someone...BTW: Ativan is very addictive, but is given every day for panic and anxiety. MJ is NOT chemically addictive, but will do the same thing. Why is MJ so bad?

Goo Lord? Does that involve sacrificing old axle grease and candy bars left in the glove box on a hot day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fire suppressor

Sorry everyone I know I could have done without the personal rant it went way off topic and I even knew as I was writing it I probably shouldn't be. At the same time I couldn't help it I have feelings about drugs that are just strong as my feelings about my right to carry a gun. Now certainly there are a few special circumstances where I do think it would be warranted such as excessive pain or end stage cancer I think it does do some good there. I get angry when I see young kids running around smoking because they can. Certainly opiates like Vicodin are addictive it comes down to a personal choice of what you would rather use and gamble with.
I already told my friend I will not enter his house when he is using but he is a good friend and we go back a long way and as much as I may personally not agree with his choice I do not want to punish him for the situations that has happened to him beyond his control. If you all could excuse the personal rant I try not to do that on here but sometimes you hit that one issue that makes shutting mouth difficult. Our constitution states we all have the right to the pursuit of happiness and even Genesis states God gave us the plants and animals to rule over. I really was not trying to come down hard on anyone or scream my opinion as I know I did. I do thank you all for your input this is going to be a delicate subject with me and my friend for a while I think my gun may stay home when we hang out.

sudden valley gunner

The mere fact we have to debate whether we can get in trouble for having friends who smoke pot because we carry guns shows you the tyrannical state we are in. Why are we so afraid of our government? Because there is valid reason to be for harmless activities.

And we need to get back to our Blackstone legal foundation, where there would be no such thing as "constructive" possession. Actually under our true legal foundation there would be no convictions for personal possession or use of drugs.

I don't smoke pot will never smoke pot, but I be a hypocrite if I refused to have any association with my friends who do but then associate with those who smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol or are on government approved drugs.

fight4your_rights

At 54 I've seen too many friends and relatives wither away and die, suffering in pain from some of the most debilitating illnesses around. If pot or any other drug can stop that suffering then they should be able to use it. Period.

amzbrady

It is a plant, but you think it should be ILLEGAL - AGAINST THE LAW OF THE LAND for someone to merely posses it. Do you feel the same about cigarettes and alcohol?

By the way, no offense taken. I'm just curious on what else you think is an acceptable reason for the government to reach their hands into people's personal lives so we can compare and contrast.

I dont think any drug, cigarette, or alcohol should be illegal, I also dont think our taxes should pay for treatment for those with alcohol addiction, drug addiction, cancer from smoking, gambling addiction, or babies created from any of the above.

I would have to agree with this.

Being around your friend while MJ is present could get you cited for possession. Constructive possession is possession afterall and could be the downfall of your career.

Can you really be cited for possession if you do not have anything on you and your friend does? How is this possible?

At 54 I've seen too many friends and relatives wither away and die, suffering in pain from some of the most debilitating illnesses around. If pot or any other drug can stop that suffering then they should be able to use it. Period.

I agree, everything usefull also has a downfall in one way or another. Just like people there are us and libtards...