• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Billy Club, as it pertains to Act 35

The_Pennsylvanian

I have been trying to find a legal definition by the DOJ as to what constitutes as a "Billy club". Do they mean an old school Monadnock police baton, a lead filled leather sap or "blackjack", a "hickory tire knocker" that one can pick up a virtually any truckstop, or one of those collapsible or folding batons that police carry ? I would be interest mostly in the latter.

I have had no luck finding a particular cite on this matter. Can anyone help me out, please ?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

The phrase "billy club" occurs once in the Wisconsin Statutes, at §175.60(1)(j). Absent a statutory definition then I ANAL expect some rule of construction to dictate the common meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_club

Maybe there is some case law, but I do not have access. Splitting hairs of lead or hickory won't do any good.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Since we are talking about concealed carry of a billy club, that may provide a beginning of the definition of what it is or isn't; although I suppose you could stuff a baseball bat down a pant leg if you really wanted to carry one badly enough.... Of course there is no law I am aware of that prevents us from carrying Maglites, tactical flashlights, or using a cane. You might even hide a full size Espantoon up your sleeve to really surprise a bad guy. Sounds like there might be many answers to the question, but like every other weapon they would all require training and practice to use effectively.

Captain Nemo

http://definitions.uslegal.com/b/billy-club/

As I read this. Example: A cops night stick would be considered a billy club because it is dessigned and configured for the purpose of inflicting pain and/or injury. A baseball bat(i.e. one of those small souvineer types) would not be considered a billy club because it's designed purpose is for benign use. It would not be controlled by 175.60 and could be carried hidden, without a CCL. However if used for the purpose of intentionally inflicting injury and/or pain on another person it could be classified as a deadly weapon as applied. In that case the hidden carry of it would not be unlawful but the use of it outside it's normal application would be considered unlawful. The same would be true of a walking stick. Although it might be somewhat difficult to conceal a walking stick.

Remember IANL and this is just my opinion.

Last edited:

davegran

....The same would be true of a walking stick. Although it might be somewhat difficult to conceal a walking stick.

A walking stick is just a walking stick and doesn't require concealment; but if a bad guy comes after me I am going to use any tool at my disposal to defend myself. The fact that it has a carbide point on one end and a 2" hickory ball on the other just makes it a better walking stick.... The same goes for a cane with a heavy brass knob for a handle. :D

thieltech

A walking stick is just a walking stick and doesn't require concealment; but if a bad guy comes after me I am going to use any tool at my disposal to defend myself. The fact that it has a carbide point on one end and a 2" hickory ball on the other just makes it a better walking stick.... The same goes for a cane with a heavy brass knob for a handle. :D

HAHA SOME GOOD POINTS . a tool is anything that gets the job DONE !

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Hence the etymological roots of hoplophobia.

Hoplon may be an aspis, a round shield, but is more properly and generally
  1. tool,
  2. instrument
  3. a ship's tackle,
  4. rope
  5. instruments of war: arms, armour, weapon
  6. specifically the large shield carried by hoplites
  7. penis
  8. a gymnastics exercise

ETA: and the root in Greek is ἕπω "I am busy"

Last edited:

wild boar

Years ago when I was driving truck...

...there was an issue as to whether or not a "tire bob", or club had a tether. If it could not be knocked out of your hand was the concern, and defined it's purpose. Tethered, it could be considered a weapon in some states.

For the purpose of fighting, I want a tether. The club can be released allowing a free hand and still maintain retention of the club. boar out.

The_Pennsylvanian

Sooo . . . apparently there is no precedent for someone carrying a billy club in WI . was thinking of picking up one of those collapsible batons , like the ASP 21 , until I get my 1911 . I am ( sadly ) currently lacking in the sidearm department . I was wondering if carrying one of those ( the ASP ) is legal now per Act 35 . I would sure hate to be the test case , though .

davegran

Sooo . . . apparently there is no precedent for someone carrying a billy club in WI . was thinking of picking up one of those collapsible batons , like the ASP 21 , until I get my 1911 . I am ( sadly ) currently lacking in the sidearm department . I was wondering if carrying one of those ( the ASP ) is legal now per Act 35 . I would sure hate to be the test case , though .
IANAL, but if it is a striking weapon and you can conceal it, I believe you have passed all the tests.... :dude:

E6chevron

Your initial question is not yet clear to me.

Do you have a Wisconsin Concealed Carry License?

If you only look at Act 35, you may not be getting a complete picture of the current law.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/941/III/23

941.23(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:

__ (d) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the dangerous weapon is a weapon, as defined under s. 175.60 (1) (j). An individual formerly licensed under s. 175.60 whose license has been suspended or revoked under s. 175.60 (14) may not assert his or her refusal to accept a notice of revocation or suspension mailed under s. 175.60 (14) (b) 1. as a defense to prosecution under this subsection, regardless of whether the person has complied with s. 175.60 (11) (b) 1.

__ (e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or legally occupies.

There is another statute that may apply if a crime is committed, regardless of whether the dangerous weapon is concealed or not.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/939/IV/63

939.63  Penalties; use of a dangerous weapon.

_(1) If a person commits a crime while possessing, using or threatening to use a dangerous weapon, the maximum term of imprisonment prescribed by law for that crime may be increased as follows:

Many other prohibitions on carrying a dangerous weapon, based on WHERE... such as courthouses, taverns, posted buildings/grounds, also may apply.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisconsin Statutes 175.60(1)(j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon,... a knife other than a switchblade knife ..., or a billy club. A billy club is not a weapon and is prohibited just as is a switchblade. A billy club is not further defined in Wisconsin Statutes, where a switchblade is broadly defined.

wild boar

What needs to be done...

...Is pressure the DOJ for laws that can be interpreted by the public.

When we applied to the state we all said; with signatures, that we understood the laws. Now we sit, bent over our keypads and ask peter what paul thinks. Peter isn't going to get your a$$ out of jail. We need to demand laws for public consumption before we're incarcerated for ignorance. boar out.:banghead:

Captain Nemo

Lighten up Davegran my comment concerning the wolking stick was in jest. The isue is what can be considered a billy club and what restrictions do ss941.23 and 175.60 place on it. Certainly the open carry of a walking stick is lawful and except those that contain a spring knife or can discharge a bullet there is no restrictions on a walking sticks configuration.

The question I have is what is the litteral and legal interpretation of the following statute excerpts. Do they apply to only those 4 specific dangerous weapons as defined in 175.60 or do they apply to any item applied outside it's normal intent and used, or attempted to be used, to inflict pain on another person.

941.23(2) Any person, other than one of the following, who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:

__ (d) A licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out-of-state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g), if the dangerous weapon is a weapon, as defined under s. 175.60 (1) (j). An individual formerly licensed under s. 175.60 whose license has been suspended or revoked under s. 175.60 (14) may not assert his or her refusal to accept a notice of revocation or suspension mailed under s. 175.60 (14) (b) 1. as a defense to prosecution under this subsection, regardless of whether the person has complied with s. 175.60 (11) (b) 1.

__ (e) An individual who carries a concealed and dangerous weapon, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (j), in his or her own dwelling or place of business or on land that he or she owns, leases, or legally occupies.

Definition of weapon as contained in 175.60.
(j) "Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

E6chevron

Wisconsin Statutes 175.60(1)(j) “Weapon” means a handgun, an electric weapon,... a knife other than a switchblade knife ..., or a billy club. A billy club is not a weapon and is prohibited just as is a switchblade. A billy club is not further defined in Wisconsin Statutes, where a switchblade is broadly defined.

Here is the complete cite defining the term "Weapon" for section 175.60
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/175/60/1/j

175.60(1)(j) "Weapon" means a handgun, an electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a), a knife other than a switchblade knife under s. 941.24, or a billy club.

After that citation, what logic prompts your next phrase?

A billy club is not a weapon and is prohibited just as is a switchblade.

Are you just diagreeing with the statute?

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Nope. Just got lost in or's inclusive and exclusive and commas.

Captain Nemo

Followup of my previous post which is numbered 15.
If a person carries a length of water pipe hidden on his person what is the consequence. By law definition it is not a billy club because it design intent was not to inflict injury. I suppose if it had tape wrapped around one end as a type of a grip it could be considered a billy club. Barring that, it's intended use is to transfer liquids or other flowable material and the pipe certainly isn't a handgun, a knife or an electric weapon. If applied outside it's intended use to inflict injury it can be defined as a dangerous weapon, but can the actor be charged with going armed with a dangerous and concealed weapon under the current language of ss941.23 and 175.60. Just what is the reach of those stautes concerning dangerous weapons.

The situation gets even murkier when you interject Article I section 25.
What is the intent of the phrase ---keep and bear arms---? What is meant by "arms"?
It doesn't read ---keep and bear weapons-----.

Thank you!! LRB.

Last edited:

E6chevron

This definition applies as stated in the beginning of the 939.22 and it is used by the 941.23 (crime of carrying a concealed weapon) statute, except where the statute specifically limits the meaning.

939.22  Words and phrases defined. In chs. 939 to 948 and 951, the following words and phrases have the designated meanings unless the context of a specific section manifestly requires a different construction or the word or phrase is defined in s. 948.01 for purposes of ch. 948:
_ (10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (1c) (a); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

Of all the weapons that would be included in the above definition of Dangerous weapon, in 941.23(2)(d) and 941.23(2)(e) only 4 categories 175.60(1)(j) are specifically allowed for WI/OS licensees or people in personal/occupied dwellings, place of business or land.

It is a crime to carry concealed, a LOT of different weapons. A few weapons are allowed to be carried concealed IF you have a CCL or in/on certain private property.