• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Hempfest

Dave_pro2a

Probably not a good idea.

Probably an incredibly stupid idea.

Legal, just incredibly stupid.

Metalhead47

Bring OC to the Seattle hempfest! Not all marijuana supporters are pro gun but some are! Spread the word on OC by atteding!

LOL now there's an interesting combination.. OCer wanting to go to Hempfest... with a Christian avatar image. Not that the three are in any way incompatible, just amusing.

Dave's probably right on this one, unfortunately. Legal, yes. Amusing, definitely. But who's getting amused at the end of the day, clouded that is.

Sig229

Probably not a good idea.

Probably an incredibly stupid idea.

Legal, just incredibly stupid.

Just curious as to why its stupid?
In many states you can legally carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
I dont drink or smoke weed, but if I had a choice I rather be surrounded by stoners with guns than drunks with guns.

Dave_pro2a

Just curious as to why its stupid?
In many states you can legally carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
I dont drink or smoke weed, but if I had a choice I rather be surrounded by stoners with guns than drunks with guns.

For once I'll actually agree with what the other Dave always says: it'll just make us look bad.
Hell hath frozen over.

Marijuana is illegal on a Federal level. The DoJ, DEA and the ATF is on attack mode right now in regards to both medical marijuana and gun rights (which is really an attack on State Rights).

Attending Hempfest with a firearm does not serve a useful purpose for OC specifically, or gun rights in general. It also serves no purpose for medical marijuana rights or the marijuana legalization effort.

All it will do is give the media (and the SPD) an incident to cite later and use against lawful gun owners, and also patients who comply with MMJ laws.

Just think about it for 1 second, if the city police and government freak out over guns at Folklife, do you seriously think they'd be ok with guns at Hempfest http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17609

And afaik the city has been regularly giving hempfest problems over permit denials http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/06/23/city-refuses-to-issue-hempfest-permit Why make it easier for them to end the event (or provide a higher level of motivation for them to end it).

OC is your right of course, just not advisable at Hempfest imho.

Sig229

For once I'll actually agree with what the other Dave always says: it'll just make us look bad.
Hell hath frozen over.

Marijuana is illegal on a Federal level. The DoJ, DEA and the ATF is on attack mode right now in regards to both medical marijuana and gun rights (which is really an attack on State Rights).

Attending Hempfest with a firearm does not serve a useful purpose for OC specifically, or gun rights in general. It also serves no purpose for medical marijuana rights or the marijuana legalization effort.

All it will do is give the media (and the SPD) an incident to cite later and use against lawful gun owners, and also patients who comply with MMJ laws.

Just think about it for 1 second, if the city police and government freak out over guns at Folklife, do you seriously think they'd be ok with guns at Hempfest http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=17609

And afaik the city has been regularly giving hempfest problems over permit denials http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/06/23/city-refuses-to-issue-hempfest-permit Why make it easier for them to end the event (or provide a higher level of motivation for them to end it).

Ok, you make good points.
I could easily imagine a headline "illegal drugs and guns in public tonight at five". And as you aare aware, just becuase teh news says the gun is illegal, doesnt make it so.

usmcbess

Hell hath frozen over.

Im glad that you have decided to elect yourself to the postition of open carry PR director but I am not a part of a centralized organization or any such group that dictates when and where is appropriate for open carry.

Dave_pro2a

Im glad that you have decided to elect yourself to the postition of open carry PR director but I am not a part of a centralized organization or any such group that dictates when and where is appropriate for open carry.

Contestant said:
Internet acronyms for $1000 Alex."

Alex Trebek said:
"IMHO" usually has what meaning when seen on an internet forum?

Contestant said:
Umm, errr, hmmm, ahhh, I dunno Alex, what does that acronym mean?

Alex Trebek said:
Geesh, what are you an utter friggn moron? "IMHO." Come one Genius, this is a gimme.

Contestant said:
I'm properly ashamed by my lack of knowledge. Please Alex, tell me what it means!

Alex Trebek said:
What is "in my humble opinion."

Contestant said:
I'm still not sure, could you use that in a sentence please?

Alex Trebek said:
Sure. "IMHO you're a moron."

God I knew I was sounding like BigDave when I voiced my opinion on this subject. USMCbess, back to primary school for some reading comprehension. I never told anyone what to do, I merely voiced an 'opinion.' Missouri, right? Here's another opinion: stay there. ;) Have a Merry Christmas too :D

And if you feel up to it, try to articulate how open carrying at hempfest helps anyone. You might not like my opinions, but at least I man up and explain my reasoning.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

How is he dictating anything? He's said a couple of times that it would be both legal, and one's right to do so, but that exercising that right might not be wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amlevin

There are two kinds of trouble

That which finds you no matter how you behave and the kind that you go looking for. Unless it's your job to go looking for trouble (LE, Military, etc) why not just be satisfied with that which you can't avoid.

All I see by going to Hempfest with a prominently carried is trouble. The kind you went looking for.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Hell hath frozen over.
As Red Fox would say on Sanford and Son "Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey."
I knew this would happen I just did not think it would have been in my life time :lol:

I believe this forum is promoting Open Carry to make it more common in the public and when we add an additional element that is so controversial as marijuana be it for medical or legalization of it brings a negative view on it. Many non supporters believe the vast majority that have or want cards to use their medicine feel is full of it and just want to get high while others really do see an advantage of it and then we have robberies related to marijuana to people being killed over having, obtaining or using it just look at the recent shooting in Medical Lake a stupid 14 year old shot in the back for trying to break into someones home for marijuana and possibly a homeowner going to jail for the shooting, is marijuana really worth dying for? be it from the perp or the homeowner taking a life for a little bit of smoke?
There is nothing positive to be gained out of open carrying at hemp fest or related gatherings concerning marijuana.

Last edited:

usmcbess

God I knew I was sounding like BigDave when I voiced my opinion on this subject. USMCbess, back to primary school for some reading comprehension. I never told anyone what to do, I merely voiced an 'opinion.' Missouri, right? Here's another opinion: stay there. ;) Have a Merry Christmas too :D

And if you feel up to it, try to articulate how open carrying at hempfest helps anyone. You might not like my opinions, but at least I man up and explain my reasoning.

Sorry for misinterpreting your intentions. I had you pegged as one of those high and mightys that I have come accross in the OC forums that have decided they are the standard for OC. Once again I apologise for assuming.

Dave_pro2a

Sorry for misinterpreting your intentions. I had you pegged as one of those high and mightys that I have come accross in the OC forums that have decided they are the standard for OC. Once again I apologise for assuming.

No worries man, its just the internet. Thanks for the apology, for understanding, and also I'm sorry if my responses were a bit biting ;)

Seattle Hempfest

Please Don't

Please Don’t open carry at Hempfest. It is not that Seattle Hempfest takes a position on this issue of OC in general. It is that it causes problems. The city makes me personally respond and give a policy statement because it wants to keep its liability to a minimum. I have to make the only policy statement that my legal team gives to me.
“While this is a public park, it is currently permitted to the production company producing the event. It is a normal and reasonable restriction to have a no weapons policy in place. We allow no weapons during the event. You are welcome at this event but you must leave your weapon elsewhere.”

Due to city pressure, permit and insurance, we simply can’t afford to allow it. I have had this happen and I had to deny entry to the OC. He seemed like a really nice guy. I hated being in the situation. He said “I think the event would be much safer if everyone was armed.” This may be the case but understand, this is not our primary issue and we have never had a major injury at Hempfest in 20 years even with attendance in the hundreds of thousands.

I would suggest that if you wanted to push the issue, do as we have; permit an “open carry fest”. To this event, you may set your own rules as permittees of the park. The city would have to make a policy statement which would be much more helpful to you than me telling you that OC is not allowed at Hempfest. Chances are, as a free speech event, you would be granted a permit after, of course, the city makes themselves a royal pain in your ass. But remember, back in the day they weren’t too excited about a cannabis protestival.

We are not enemies and I would hate to have to deny you entry to our event. Whether or not I agree with a point of view, I love those that passionately hold their views. It creates the dialog that is necessary to a free society.

trevorthebusdriver

Due to city pressure, permit and insurance, we simply can’t afford to allow it. I have had this happen and I had to deny entry to the OC. He seemed like a really nice guy. I hated being in the situation. He said “I think the event would be much safer if everyone was armed.” This may be the case but understand, this is not our primary issue and we have never had a major injury at Hempfest in 20 years even with attendance in the hundreds of thousands.

That was me! :)
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?48041-Anyone-OC-at-Hempfest