• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and having a beer at home

dashowdy

What is the legality of this in regards to me say having a couple of beers at home after work or a glass of wine or two with dinner at my parents house. Please keep your drinking and firearms comments to yourself, I am a responsible adult who likes to have a couple of drinks every now again in the privacy of my own home. I know you cannot drink and conceal carry but it says nothing on drinking and open carrying.

thanks, matt

dashowdy

All want to know is it illegal to go home strap on my pistol and have a couple of beers with dinner or while in the comfort of my own home. If anyone would like to give there opinion on drinking and firearms please do, do not want to offend anyone else.

rotorhead

No it's not illegal. It's your house. Drink a keg and go out back and have a shooting party if you want- as long as you're not endangering anyone and don't reside within a city zone that restricts the discharge of firearms. But simply having a couple of beers and carrying a firearm is not illegal. In fact, you can carry at your residence concealed without a permit if you want. You don't need one to carry concealed on your private property.

The law is silent even when it comes to OC and public drinking, actually. The only alcohol restrictions I can find (other than the obvious one of not being able to bring a gun into an establishment where alcohol is both sold and served) when carrying relates to CHP holders when carrying. Technically, there is no law against having alcohol in your system and OCing that I know of. If anyone can find something please let me/ us know.

Now, will that make one immune from reckless endangerment or other such "public menace" type of charge? I dunno, really. But as far as I know, there's no statute that specifically bans a person from having alcohol in their system and openly carrying a firearm.

Being stupid is one thing, being illegal is another. :)

Last edited:

dashowdy

Thanks for the response rotorhead, I understand what you are saying dont be an idiot, be responsible. Now tommorow night celebrating with my family we will definitely be having one too many so the pistol will be put in safe keeping.

Badger Johnson

What is the legality of this in regards to me say having a couple of beers at home after work or a glass of wine or two with dinner at my parents house. Please keep your drinking and firearms comments to yourself, I am a responsible adult who likes to have a couple of drinks every now again in the privacy of my own home. I know you cannot drink and conceal carry but it says nothing on drinking and open carrying.

thanks, matt

I think you may be asking not from a legal perspective but from that of a random coincidence. I'd say, as others have intimated you are fine UNLESS you:
1. Have an ND;
2. Harm someone (including yourself) with the firearm;
3. Answer the door reeking of alcohol with a firearm on your person and it's the Police Benevolent League taking contributions;
4. Have a guest over who is an 'anti' firearms person.

So, just exercise common sense and you should be OK.

bc.cruiser

All want to know is it illegal to go home strap on my pistol and have a couple of beers with dinner or while in the comfort of my own home. If anyone would like to give there opinion on drinking and firearms please do, do not want to offend anyone else.

You didn't offend me, either. When I said drink away, I meant just that. Thanks for Rotorhead elaborating on it

rotorhead

Thanks for the response rotorhead, I understand what you are saying dont be an idiot, be responsible. Now tommorow night celebrating with my family we will definitely be having one too many so the pistol will be put in safe keeping.

No problem, homie.

Here's a thought, though. As you (or anyone for that matter) go about your holiday weekend, take a moment to think about preparedness in the home. Owning a gun for protection entails a whole lot of little sub-tasks and understandings that then come together, hopefully, to produce a responsible citizen that has taken steps to add a serious measure of safety for his family.

Now, I'm not one to tell anyone how to live, but for me, one way to protect my family is to never get to a point where I wouldn't feel safe handling the very gun I bought to protect them in the first place. If I get to a point where I think I'm not sober enough to carry and should put the gun away, I've just removed it as the primary means of protection for the house. Until such time as I feel safe again, it would be a non-option for defense. That's one hell of a tool to be left out of a total home protection plan.

So, all of this is nothing more than a gentle warning to be aware of certain things as we celebrate the holidays over the next week or two. We're adults, we can do what we want, but when my actions become a deterrent to my primary means of protection, I reckon I've failed.

Again, I'm not telling anyone what to do nor would I ever try to. I'm just saying that the most important tool in home defense is always the brain. If we adjust our awareness to a level where it becomes ineffective, we've just opened up one hell of an avenue for someone out there who's looking for someone to let their guard down.

Sheesh, maybe I take this stuff too seriously sometimes lol.

Merry Christmas all, and have a blessed time :)

dashowdy

True, I probably should not get to a point where I am incapable of protecting myself, but because of the fact I carry my gun pretty much anytime I can I just wanted to be able for one night to have some drinks with friends and family and just relax. I told them this is the one night of the year I will not be armed at all, at least after about 7:00 or so when I am at my parents house where me and my family are spending the night then it will be in the night stand waiting for me when I go to bed. Besides there will be 3 dogs in the house all of which I would not want to encounter if I were breaking into a home.

But like rotorhead said have a safe and merry christmas.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
No it's not illegal. It's your house. Drink a keg and go out back and have a shooting party if you want...:)

This makes me wonder,"If I can bowl straight while wasted enough to see two sets of pins and hit a strike does that mean I could shoot straight while wasted enough to see two targets?" Probably not wise to try this but if the doctor ever tells me I have two months to live I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

This makes me wonder,"If I can bowl straight while wasted enough to see two sets of pins and hit a strike does that mean I could shoot straight while wasted enough to see two targets?" Probably not wise to try this but if the doctor ever tells me I have two months to live I'll give it a shot.

Just remember to aim between the two, and you're good! Lol.