Thread: Gifting a gun from TX to CA

Gifting a gun from TX to CA

I would like to give my father in law a shotgun for Xmas. I am a TX resident and he lives in CA. I am here on vacation and have it with me so shipping is not an issue. What is the correct LEGAL way to do so? Can we just find a FFL and pay the fee?

Thanks.

yep, The FFL will hold it in firearm jail for 10 days, dad will have to submit for DROS and then good to go.

As long as it is a legal shotgun for CA

Quote Originally Posted by Iopencarry View Post
    yep, The FFL will hold it in firearm jail for 10 days, dad will have to submit for DROS and then good to go.

As long as it is a legal shotgun for CA

It's just an old Remington pump. can any FFL do it or do I need to track down someone specialized. I'm in San Diego.

any FFL should do it

Quote Originally Posted by jecsd1 View Post
    It's just an old Remington pump. can any FFL do it or do I need to track down someone specialized. I'm in San Diego.
    If its older than 50 years old, or on the C&R list already, you can just give it to him....legally.

Quote Originally Posted by camsoup View Post
    If its older than 50 years old, or on the C&R list already, you can just give it to him....legally.
    No such luck. It's only about 10 yrs old. Recommend a good FFL in San Diego? Does big 5 still do them?

No such luck. It's only about 10 yrs old. Recommend a good FFL in San Diego? Does big 5 still do them?
    Gusslers in Santee is a "kitchen table" ffl. I used him a few times.

Sent from behind enemy lines using a Commodore 64.
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

all depends what part of San Diego, Discount Gun Mart on Morena blvd, is what I usually used, otherwise there is one up by kearny mesa area cant remember the name of it though. Im not sure about Big5?

Quote Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
    all depends what part of San Diego, Discount Gun Mart on Morena blvd, is what I usually used, otherwise there is one up by kearny mesa area cant remember the name of it though. Im not sure about Big5?
    Found a guy named Paul Johnson in Escondido. Seems like a good guy. Smaller operation but reasonable price. $60 out the door. That seems ok for CA. I have to say that I was flabbergasted at the typical FFL prices in CA. I'm used to $10 FFL fees in TX so when I saw some shops charging over $100 I was a bit shocked.

Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by jecsd1; 12-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camsoup View Post
    This is absolutely untrue.

The giver is a resident of Texas. The recipient is a resident of California. Even if it takes place face to face, it's an interstate transfer and must go through an FFL.

Thank you, KBCraig. You beat me to it.

Additionally, in order for an interstate C&R Eligible firearm to be handled without a 01 FFL dealer's license, the recipient must be the holder of a 03 FFL collector's license.

And THEN, you still have to obey whatever additional laws CA may impose.
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-26-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

try paul johnson ffl

you can find him at pjpolicesupply@aol.com and he's at 1951 Don lee place escondido excellent to do business with
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Got a ?....

Is PRIVATE transaction still legal in California?????????????? If so, no FFL needed!!!!!!!!!!!!! If not, EVERYBODY in CA is in deep doodoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 1894cfan View Post
    Is PRIVATE transaction still legal in California?????????????? If so, no FFL needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, FFL needed.

Did you miss the part about one party residing in Texas, and the other party residing in California? It doesn't matter if it takes place in Texas, California, or face to face in Montana, it's still an interstate transfer and must go through an FFL.