• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where I stand

purlrider

I have been a member of Open Carry .org for just a short time and for the greater part enjoy and glean a great deal of good information. Here most if not all share my Constitutional philosophies. Not just our Second Amendment rights, but also all the Amendments that give us our freedoms. I personally feel, as many of you have stated and alluded to, if we lose the Second Amendment we have no defense against losing all the rest.
I also feel that making a choice to open carry brings a great responsibility. First of all I carry (open or concealed or both) primarily for defense of self, my family and all others that may need it. I also carry because I can. But because I can does not give me the right to swagger about intentionally bringing focus to my weapon. Nor do I just hang out in places waiting for others to be offended or alarmed by my right to carry. I am not trying to be confrontational I am trying to be an example to those that feel as I do but don’t realize they can. There is a question that seems to run a thread in dialogs with many folk I encounter, “do you have a permit to carry that”? Prior to my decision to carry I too was very ignorant of much of this. If I politely carry without mischief and am willing to engage without confrontation I believe this bodes well for all, regardless of what side of the fence we are on.
That being said this does not mean if approached by the “authorities” that I give in to their unconstitutional demands. I made the decision if one of the reasons I carry is to show my stand on the Second Amendment that I must and will make the same stand on all the other Amendments. So, if approached by those in “authority” the fourth and fifth Amendments will be the cornerstones of which I will stand and rely.
Once again thanks to those of you who strive to "do it in a good way".

TheHossUSMC

I have never understood the mindset that people might not go somewhere because "someone might not like it". I carry a firearm, Period. I go where I need to go without a second thought to what people might think. The more people act like carrying a firearm is an issue the more it will be.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Are you listening Warren Drouin?

Probably not.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to continually and publicly harass another forum member, especially one who has not even posted in this thread. If you have something to say, take it to PMs or report it to a moderator.

To the OP, excellent points. I also open carry to protect myself and passively raise awareness.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are you listening Warren Drouin?

Probably not.

And you're posting in the Oregon forum......why?

He is posting in this forum because it is his privilege to do so. Members are not restricted to just their home state forum and for good reason.

He was also correct in suggesting that needling/attacking another member under these circumstances is unnecessary and unwanted.

"Nuff said?

Ironbar

No! I don't think it is 'nuff said! Warren Drouin is a hair-brained punk who goes around Medford actively SEEKING confrontations with the police. Instead of attempting to get them on OUR SIDE by courteous behavior, he's made an enemy of them, and they now consider him and his ilk to be nothing more than a general nuisance instead of valued citizens exercising their rights.

If there is one person on this forum who through his actions can screw up everything people here supposedly hold dear, it's this kid. I also believe that of all of the people in Oregon who carry on a daily basis, Warren is the one most likely to end up doing something incredibly stupid with his firearm(s) that will end in the injury or death of himself, or worse, an innocent bystander. I wouldn't want to be within ten miles of this fool. Why the hell the rest of you continue to defend his idiotic actions just baffles me!

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Ironbar, while I understand your disagreement with Warren's actions, your continued personal attacks against Warren are in violation of forum rules and are generally perceived as rude. Perhaps Warren and others would be more receptive of your message if you toned down the hatred a bit? I don't know about you but if somebody comes at me yelling and screaming I'm not going to sit down and ponder the content of their message. Instead I'll likely be trying to get away from them and dismiss them somehow.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No! I don't think it is 'nuff said! Warren Drouin is a hair-brained punk who goes around Medford actively SEEKING confrontations with the police. Instead of attempting to get them on OUR SIDE by courteous behavior, he's made an enemy of them, and they now consider him and his ilk to be nothing more than a general nuisance instead of valued citizens exercising their rights.

If there is one person on this forum who through his actions can screw up everything people here supposedly hold dear, it's this kid. I also believe that of all of the people in Oregon who carry on a daily basis, Warren is the one most likely to end up doing something incredibly stupid with his firearm(s) that will end in the injury or death of himself, or worse, an innocent bystander. I wouldn't want to be within ten miles of this fool. Why the hell the rest of you continue to defend his idiotic actions just baffles me!

If you have a legitimate complaint about a poster, report it.

You are entitled to your opinion of other's actions, but do not launch personal attacks or insults - such is in direct violation of the rules.
NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks....

Ironbar

OK Grapeshot, will it be less offensive to you if I stop calling him names, or if Mr. Drouin ends up doing something incredibly stupid?

We-the-People

I made the decision if one of the reasons I carry is to show my stand on the Second Amendment that I must and will make the same stand on all the other Amendments. So, if approached by those in “authority” the fourth and fifth Amendments will be the cornerstones of which I will stand and rely.
Once again thanks to those of you who strive to "do it in a good way".

This, and the rest of hte post as well, is excellent. As I've said before, while I may not agree with how some people chose to exercise their RIGHTS...burning the American flag in protest for example...they are RIGHTS and must be stood up for. ALL of them, whether we personally think it's a proper way to exercise a right or not. It's called a RIGHT for a reason.

And thank you to the moderators.

SteveInAshand

+ 1

IronBar, +1 I agree with You 100% in sentiment , but like picking your nose at the dinner table or cussing in front of my Momma it's untimely

The rules is the rules, as far as this forum is concerned You signed and agreed to the forum owners posting ( speaking ) rules aka abridgment to the 1st Amendment, so called 'gentleman's agreement'

Don't complain that there is no pure 1st Amendment here , this is a quasi private club , the membership dues are paid by agreement to the rules, break them and You get warned, reprimanded, edited, erased, sanctioned, and or bared.

This is the 1/2 Amendment forum on the 2nd, lol , kind of the stepped on version of the 1st here.

There can be a problem or series of issues that can happen in all these forums. Just because many people gather together who are of so called 'like mind', this is not necessarily true. We are not all one monolithic mass, in fact many of us have very divergent views and we only agree on the basics of one singular issue i e the Right To keep And Bear Arms Shall NOT be Infringed, and every thing else is a food fight.

I don't buy the " If you cant say something nice about Adolph Hitler then don't say anything at all" sentiment, as that is good for gossips, not for Civil Rights activism. Example: That man Hitler he is a ____________ fill in the blank , see what I mean , some folks don't warrant 'polite speak.

Adolph is not a member of the forum, and Mr Gunny Butt said defamatory insidious nausiatum ridiculoso 'is' a member and as far as the forum mod and owners he is in good standing and so tis tis, hold-eth thy blanching tounge , lol

Sometimes you can say the same thing but without all the 'ding bat', 'kook' and 'knuckle head' and 'punk' oh and did I say 'Bozo', lol, references .

Absent semi-cuss words & night club put downs, Your opinion and views will be see in a different light ( trust me I feel muzzled on these forums that is why I hardly ever post any more )

On a forum, if You state an opinion other than a bland vanilla pablum opinion such as " I thing Mr Snuggle Bunny is wrong" , then You will get Your nail hammered back down.

Any deviation from anything but the basics and we all start shooting spit wads and pulling on pig tails.

Forums are owned and run by a guy behind a large curtain and moderated by these little dudes called Munchkins and these folks don't like it when You yank on the curtain, its their show IronBar .

What helps me besides my not even waisting my time posting, lol , is to think and act like I am a wealthy British diplomat and then type my response as if I am a snotty hoidy toidy hoi pal-oi , lol, and every one knows British diplomats don't cuss, but they can put You down and make it sound absolutely delightful lol.

Tally Ho

Last edited:

Ironbar

Steve,

Your point is well taken. In spite of the fact that our own little ray of sunshine in Medford is unlikely to ever use any words that will send someone rushing to the dictionary, I'll just shut the hell up from now on. However, it seems to me to be so ironic that everyone here who crows so loud and long about their Second Ammendment rights being trampled on by the government, police, et. al., seem perfectly OK with nitwits parading around giving every OC'er a bad name with their foolish antics. I'd prefer to make allies than enemies.

To the mods I say, thank you for your input on the content of my postings. Please feel free to provide further comments. I'll waste no time at all reading them!

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Steve,

Your point is well taken. Due to the muzzle that the mods would like to place upon me for calling someone out, I'll just shut the hell up from now on. However, it seems to me to be so ironic that everyone here who crows so loud and long about their Second Ammendment rights being trampled on by the government, police, et. al., seem perfectly OK with nitwits parading around giving every OC'er a bad name with their foolish antics. I'd prefer to make allies than enemies.

There is a distinct difference between expressing your concerns about another member's actions and using personal attacks against them. Concerns are great and generate constructive conversation. Personal attacks serve no purpose. It especially makes no sense to insult a member who is not even participating in the thread. Keep posting, just without the attacks.

cotillion

I keep this post in my bookmarks just in case I ever have a run in with medford pd. These were my first thoughts when I read about this online, as I don't want to be on anyone's radar. I carry to protect myself and my family, not to shove my rights down anyone's throat. The truth is we take the amendments for granted and think that they cant be taken away. Go ask someone from Chicago how well their amendments protected their rights there :)