• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where I stand

purlrider

I have been a member of Open Carry .org for just a short time and for the greater part enjoy and glean a great deal of good information. Here most if not all share my Constitutional philosophies. Not just our Second Amendment rights, but also all the Amendments that give us our freedoms. I personally feel, as many of you have stated and alluded to, if we lose the Second Amendment we have no defense against losing all the rest.
I also feel that making a choice to open carry brings a great responsibility. First of all I carry (open or concealed or both) primarily for defense of self, my family and all others that may need it. I also carry because I can. But because I can does not give me the right to swagger about intentionally bringing focus to my weapon. Nor do I just hang out in places waiting for others to be offended or alarmed by my right to carry. I am not trying to be confrontational I am trying to be an example to those that feel as I do but don’t realize they can. There is a question that seems to run a thread in dialogs with many folk I encounter, “do you have a permit to carry that”? Prior to my decision to carry I too was very ignorant of much of this. If I politely carry without mischief and am willing to engage without confrontation I believe this bodes well for all, regardless of what side of the fence we are on.
That being said this does not mean if approached by the “authorities” that I give in to their unconstitutional demands. I made the decision if one of the reasons I carry is to show my stand on the Second Amendment that I must and will make the same stand on all the other Amendments. So, if approached by those in “authority” the fourth and fifth Amendments will be the cornerstones of which I will stand and rely.
Once again thanks to those of you who strive to "do it in a good way".

Schlepnier

We all strive to do it in a good way so as not to bring ill repute on our memebers or for our cause. some here have even given in to improper police questioning/searching because they were "in a hurry" or "the officer was nice". unwittingly giving into violations of the law and making the LEOs in question comfortable with their tactics.

America has gotten way to comfotable on its convieniences and deferment to authoritarian actions when normal citizens(sheeple) become angered that you dare stand up for your constitutionally protected rights.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Possible answer to "Ya got a permit for that thing?"
I am authorized by both State and Federal governments (Constitution). If they can trust me can't you?

Tawnos

I have been a member of Open Carry .org for just a short time and for the greater part enjoy and glean a great deal of good information. Here most if not all share my Constitutional philosophies. Not just our Second Amendment rights, but also all the Amendments that give us our freedoms. I personally feel, as many of you have stated and alluded to, if we lose the Second Amendment we have no defense against losing all the rest.
I also feel that making a choice to open carry brings a great responsibility. First of all I carry (open or concealed or both) primarily for defense of self, my family and all others that may need it. I also carry because I can. But because I can does not give me the right to swagger about intentionally bringing focus to my weapon. Nor do I just hang out in places waiting for others to be offended or alarmed by my right to carry. I am not trying to be confrontational I am trying to be an example to those that feel as I do but don’t realize they can. There is a question that seems to run a thread in dialogs with many folk I encounter, “do you have a permit to carry that”? Prior to my decision to carry I too was very ignorant of much of this. If I politely carry without mischief and am willing to engage without confrontation I believe this bodes well for all, regardless of what side of the fence we are on.
That being said this does not mean if approached by the “authorities” that I give in to their unconstitutional demands. I made the decision if one of the reasons I carry is to show my stand on the Second Amendment that I must and will make the same stand on all the other Amendments. So, if approached by those in “authority” the fourth and fifth Amendments will be the cornerstones of which I will stand and rely.
Once again thanks to those of you who strive to "do it in a good way".

In your signature, you should use "you're" instead of "your".

Also, I don't think any of us carry to swagger or bring focus to our weapons.

purlrider

I'm sorry you could only find two things to criticize. I'm sure the message went right by you as well. And yes there are those that swagger and draw attention to their weapon. Ignorance does abound.

amzbrady

I love being able to open carry because of the comfort. I concealed carry and being fat, my pistol dug into my side. That and it is nice to know that I dont have to worry if I take my coat off in the winter that is shows or trying to figure out how to cover in the summer, as I wear shirts tucked so my pants waste band doesnt dig in. One thing I dont do is swagger, if anything I wobble.

I would not fair well in Texas trying not to print while concealing. God bless Washington state.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'm sorry you could only find two things to criticize. I'm sure the message went right by you as well. And yes there are those that swagger and draw attention to their weapon. Ignorance does abound.

If only two things were found, then they aren't trying hard enough. I don't like your motorcycle, I don't like the font you used, I don't like that you are from the Dalles.... I could go on but it is Christmas. :rolleyes:

Welcome to OCDO, carry all the time, open, concealed, duct taped to your forehead..... it is all good.

Your message was spot on, but there is much to learn, many phases to go through and many people to teach and share OUR love for our rights and of the Second Amendment.

purlrider

If only two things were found, then they aren't trying hard enough. I don't like your motorcycle, I don't like the font you used, I don't like that you are from the Dalles.... I could go on but it is Christmas. :rolleyes:

Welcome to OCDO, carry all the time, open, concealed, duct taped to your forehead..... it is all good.

Your message was spot on, but there is much to learn, many phases to go through and many people to teach and share OUR love for our rights and of the Second Amendment.

My One and I are still laughing. Thanks for the response.
Merry Christmas

FMCDH

The ones that appear to "swagger" and draw attention to themselves on purpose while carrying have a tendency to fall in into the "new carrier" category more often than not. People for whom, the newness and "novelty" factor of carrying a gun hasn't worn off yet, or it hasn't been overcome by education in the responsibility they are accepting.

For most that have been carrying their entire adult lives, the novelty has long faded, and it becomes about as exciting as wearing a cell phone. Its still a thrill to get a new gun, but carrying it is simply routine. Most of the people here that I have met and gotten the chance to know are more familiar and "o-hum" with the day to day carry routine than most LEO types I know.

That said, you will always have the small fringe element that are carrying only as a compensation for some kind of character trait they are lacking.

I see OC as a comfort issue and a rights issue, so regardless of why or HOW a person is carrying, unless they are breaking the law, I will defend a persons right to carry even if they are being a tool while doing it. Sooner or later, they all grow out of the novelty, or they get themselves ridiculed beyond their comfort level and stop carrying all together.

Overall, its an issue that fixes itself given time, and all we have to do is counter their bad example with our good.

Johnsmith1521

The ones that appear to "swagger" and draw attention to themselves on purpose while carrying have a tendency to fall in into the "new carrier" category more often than not. People for whom, the newness and "novelty" factor of carrying a gun hasn't worn off yet, or it hasn't been overcome by education in the responsibility they are accepting.

For most that have been carrying their entire adult lives, the novelty has long faded, and it becomes about as exciting as wearing a cell phone. Its still a thrill to get a new gun, but carrying it is simply routine. Most of the people here that I have met and gotten the chance to know are more familiar and "o-hum" with the day to day carry routine than most LEO types I know.

That said, you will always have the small fringe element that are carrying only as a compensation for some kind of character trait they are lacking.

I see OC as a comfort issue and a rights issue, so regardless of why or HOW a person is carrying, unless they are breaking the law, I will defend a persons right to carry even if they are being a tool while doing it. Sooner or later, they all grow out of the novelty, or they get themselves ridiculed beyond their comfort level and stop carrying all together.

Overall, its an issue that fixes itself given time, and all we have to do is counter their bad example with our good.

Well said...

sudden valley gunner

I have met a lot of OC'ers and have yet to find one that swagger and 'confrontational' about OC new and old. Are there some maybe but his been my experience the newbies, like I was once, are trying to avoid trouble and the seasoned just become comfortable with it.

If you know of some who do please cite, because this site is the most critical of it's own.