• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what would you do "lost"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lapeer20m

Not actually being involved in the situation, it is difficult to say what i would or would not do if i witnessed the same exact scenario. Here are my thoughts...

I am selfish, I do not carry a gun to protect others. There are limited exceptions, but I carry a gun to protect me and mine.

Getting involved in a domestic dispute between lovers can get real messy real quick. Especially if their version of events is different from yours, which is likely to happen. Imagine the two (or three) of them telling the detective that they were just hanging out, when some lunatic shows up brandishing a firearm. Now it's the word of two or three against one.

If a girl is actually being beaten, or sexually assaulted, or kidnapped, especially by an apparent stranger, then things are totally different and I think it may be an appropriate time to intervene.

kpearce

my thought was a six shot, vs two men with guns id would not stand a chance. it was a bad mix, it was really late my cell phone was dieing..

as i said if i was carrying my 45 i would of steped in with out a doubt. i just felt like if i pointed my gun and a shootout occured would i have enough rounds to protect my self and her.

NEVER get involved in a family disturbance. Or what if it was a kidnapping? Just get pictures or be a good witness. Get tag numbers and descriptions. Going to the aid of another is NOT always the best thing to do.
I will say that I admire and thank you for wanting to help. There are not many left in the world that would do that, but getting on 911 and following would have been best.

Oh, and if you are afraid of drawing, or getting killed or hurt, then don't carry until you go get some good training. My 2 pet peeves are people who spend loads on guns, but never spend a dime on training or a good safe. Good training will cost less than your XD and it will build your confidence to assess and handle these types of situations.

All in All you did good, so as others have said just learn and forget about beating yourself up and second guessing what you thought you should have done.

Last edited:

rvd4now

NEVER get involved in a family disturbance. Or what if it was a kidnapping? Just get pictures or be a good witness. Get tag numbers and descriptions. Going to the aid of another is NOT always the best thing to do.
I will say that I admire and thank you for wanting to help. There are not many left in the world that would do that, but getting on 911 and following would have been best.

Oh, and if you are afraid of drawing, or getting killed or hurt, then don't carry until you go get some good training. My 2 pet peeves are people who spend loads on guns, but never spend a dime on training or a good safe. Good training will cost less than your XD and it will build your confidence to assess and handle these types of situations.

All in All you did good, so as others have said just learn and forget about beating yourself up and second guessing what you thought you should have done.

its not about the training i train often. all i could think of was these two may be drunk, high lord knows. what if the guy in the truck has a weapon what . its 3am not a lot of light so i could not watch there hand movements as good as i would of liked.

if i could of redone this i would step in and help.

Super Trucker

its my bug i only carry it when i go to work because im not susposed to carry at all. and if some one is reading this from work.. i dont carry at work nor would i ever own a gun lol..

Hopefully you learned a lesson from this situation. If you carry a gun that is not meant to be useful as nothing more then a bug, you yourself could be in trouble at a later date. If you leave work and get jumped yourself by 3 people, then what?

I wasn't there so I wouldn't Monday morning quarter back the situation, I am just commenting on the uselessness of having a gun that doesn't help in a situation when it might be needed.

If you really want to, the XD 45 can be concealed you just need to be creative is all. Worst case scenero get a pancake holster and leave the real gun in your car at work, then slide on the pancake holster as you leave.

stainless1911

Banned
I'll probably catch some crap for this, but I would have stopped that truck one way or another.

You cant second guess or take the time to decide if its a family matter or not.

Remember the old standard in self defense training, if the assailant tries to take you to a different location, that is the time to fight!

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Two words-

Car Charger

Don't sweat it. Her body will turn up eventually.

Oh, and dump the peashooter.

Uncalled for.

I would have have tried to help, even with the tools you had available. That said you did the right thing, your alive and able to ask us "what would you do."
There are many ways to handle situations like this, not all of them good. I have had years of military training, and private instruction in self defense, and feel that I MAY have been able to do something to assist, which may have either helped or hurt the situation as you describe it. Hind sight is always 20/20 and arm chair ninja's may be able to rescue the damsel in distress with a broken leg and a sharp stick, but actual situations never turn out perfectly.

Don't beat yourself up, don't let others make you feel bad or wrong. You observed what was going on, and became a good witness. You didn't fling yourself into a fight you probably would have lost and you are alive to tell about. I say good job.

Actual situations happen when your not prepaird or prepared enough to handle them what you do in those seconds or minutes decides whether you live or die. Your presence of mind kept you from doing something rash. Again good job sir!

rvd4now

Uncalled for.

I would have have tried to help, even with the tools you had available. That said you did the right thing, your alive and able to ask us "what would you do."
There are many ways to handle situations like this, not all of them good. I have had years of military training, and private instruction in self defense, and feel that I MAY have been able to do something to assist, which may have either helped or hurt the situation as you describe it. Hind sight is always 20/20 and arm chair ninja's may be able to rescue the damsel in distress with a broken leg and a sharp stick, but actual situations never turn out perfectly.

Don't beat yourself up, don't let others make you feel bad or wrong. You observed what was going on, and became a good witness. You didn't fling yourself into a fight you probably would have lost and you are alive to tell about. I say good job.

Actual situations happen when your not prepaird or prepared enough to handle them what you do in those seconds or minutes decides whether you live or die. Your presence of mind kept you from doing something rash. Again good job sir!

thank u...

rvd4now

u got one person driveing and one person attacking.. idk if useing my car as a road block is good.. what if my car is hit the driver pulls off and now im stuck paying a $500 deduction..

well i know how i would handle the next time..

wrightme

Hopefully you learned a lesson from this situation. If you carry a gun that is not meant to be useful as nothing more then a bug, you yourself could be in trouble at a later date. If you leave work and get jumped yourself by 3 people, then what?

I wasn't there so I wouldn't Monday morning quarter back the situation, I am just commenting on the uselessness of having a gun that doesn't help in a situation when it might be needed.

If you really want to, the XD 45 can be concealed you just need to be creative is all. Worst case scenero get a pancake holster and leave the real gun in your car at work, then slide on the pancake holster as you leave.
The gun he had was likely adequate for his expected needs.

Being an intervention in a violent crime isn't likely an 'expected need,' nor is it a rational place for a private citizen to inject him/herself without fully understanding the consequences of that choice.

CALL 911. Do what other actions you feel are appropriate FOR YOU at the time of the incident. Do NOT beat yourself up for the choices you made at the time of the incident.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Using the car might not be good. The enemy knows exactly where to direct their fire, and its probably just going to make them mad. Most cars have an inertia switch to disable the fuel pump in a crash, if you hit them, you're stuck, probably with an airbag in your face. You're putting yourself in a really bad spot by using your car. Not to mention the hearing loss involved if you do have to discharge from that position.

Badger Johnson

Using the car might not be good. The enemy knows exactly where to direct their fire, and its probably just going to make them mad. Most cars have an inertia switch to disable the fuel pump in a crash, if you hit them, you're stuck, probably with an airbag in your face. You're putting yourself in a really bad spot by using your car. Not to mention the hearing loss involved if you do have to discharge from that position.

That's a REALLY good point. I take back the idea about ramming the car.

Super Trucker

The gun he had was likely adequate for his expected needs.

Being an intervention in a violent crime isn't likely an 'expected need,' nor is it a rational place for a private citizen to inject him/herself without fully understanding the consequences of that choice.

CALL 911. Do what other actions you feel are appropriate FOR YOU at the time of the incident. Do NOT beat yourself up for the choices you made at the time of the incident.

So living near detroit where people are confronted by multiple attackers every day is not an expected need in your mind?

I reread what I said and do not see anything saying he should have shot the place up, kicked somebodies ass or hid in the corner, I said lose the "useless gun" is all. As a matter of fact I specfically said I wouldn't comment on what he did or did not do because I wasn't there. :banghead:

SFCRetired

1. Any LEO who is honest will tell you that a domestic disturbance is, by far, their most dangerous call.
2. That said, call 911 and report the incident and, if possible, the tag number of the vehicle.
3. Do not attempt to intervene unless it is to the point where a reasonable person would believe the victim's life is in danger. This can be a very dangerous time. Sometimes the "victim" will turn on the would-be rescuer.
4. Do not, except as a last resort, use your vehicle to stop the attack. Others have already pointed out the dangers there.

OP, in my humble opinion, did all that he was comfortable with and that is a good thing.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Uncalled for.

My point is, with a plethora of choices, he did NOTHING. At least, be the VERY BEST witness you can. You had your recorder with you (didn't you?)- narrate what you are seeing, descriptions, license plates, make/model of car, direction of travel. Follow them discreetly, if possible. be prepare to run for your life if they turn on you.

And ask yourself, why did I leave the house with a dead phone?

B

Bikenut

Let me see... what would I do if I'm inside McDonalds and some woman I don't know is being chased and manhandled by a man/men I don't know outside and I have no clue what the relationship is between the woman and the men nor do I know what the circumstances of the altercation are.....

Well, knowing that even though I carry a gun or two I do not think of himself as some self appointed superhero noble knight in shining armor with a duty to come a'runnin to the aid of a damsel in distress so I suspect I would get a video recording of as much of the action as possible while talking to 911.... and then I'd finish my burger and fries, talk to the cops who responded, and go home.

I am well aware of how a domestic dispute can suddenly turn ugly with everyone... with the one doing the beating, the one who got beat, the kids of both, and even the damn dog... turning on the self appointed superhero dumb enough to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

And then have them all testify that the dumb self appointed superhero is the one who did the attacking.

Was the incident in the OP a domestic? I wouldn't have known if it was or wasn't while sitting inside McDonalds... nor would I feel compelled to go outside to find out either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.