• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Derringer Problems

mem1977

My brother just bought an old Davis Industries Derringer model DM-22. It keeps misfiring and rarely shoots. The pins are hitting the back of the shells on the sides. Any one out there know what we should do fix the problem? Any suggestions?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, Davis Industries is not known for being high quality. With it being an old gun, it could be a variety of problems. As with any old gun, if you are planning on shooting it then I recommend having it carefully checked by a competent gunsmith. Your hand will thank you.

Last edited:

KBCraig

The DM-22 is chambered in .22 Magnum (.22 WMR), so of course the firing pin should be striking the rim. If it's leaving visible strike marks on the rim, yet not firing, the first thing to do is to buy a new box of a different brand of ammo.

If it still doesn't work, then you have the classic symptom of a primer strike that is too light. That could be from a weak spring, or it could be because gunk is impeding the hammer from properly striking the primer. If it's "old" as you said, chances are it's full of pocket lint and dried oil. Spray the hell out of it with solvent, lightly re-oil, and try again.

Just in case your brother doesn't know this, .22 LR and .22 Magnum are not interchangeable. The Magnum has a larger diameter case, so .22 LR can split when fired in a Magnum chamber. It's not a problem in a derringer, since there's no real back pressure due to the short barrel, but extraction is a problem.

By the way... is he trying to shoot it with .22 LR? The difference in rim diameter (WMR = 0.294, LR = 0.278) could result in a misfire.

Caliber markings mean things.

mem1977

The DM-22 is chambered in .22 Magnum (.22 WMR), so of course the firing pin should be striking the rim. If it's leaving visible strike marks on the rim, yet not firing, the first thing to do is to buy a new box of a different brand of ammo.

If it still doesn't work, then you have the classic symptom of a primer strike that is too light. That could be from a weak spring, or it could be because gunk is impeding the hammer from properly striking the primer. If it's "old" as you said, chances are it's full of pocket lint and dried oil. Spray the hell out of it with solvent, lightly re-oil, and try again.

Just in case your brother doesn't know this, .22 LR and .22 Magnum are not interchangeable. The Magnum has a larger diameter case, so .22 LR can split when fired in a Magnum chamber. It's not a problem in a derringer, since there's no real back pressure due to the short barrel, but extraction is a problem.

By the way... is he trying to shoot it with .22 LR? The difference in rim diameter (WMR = 0.294, LR = 0.278) could result in a misfire.

Caliber markings mean things.

It is leaving a visible mark on the rim after not firing. I think what he was using is Winchester 22 rounds. I can't remember off the top of my head what the rim diameter is. I know the gun was filthy when he bought it and he didn't clean it before shooting. I told him to clean his guns, but he procrastinates as always. If he doesn't clean the gun I will, and if it still doesn't fire I will take it myself to a gunsmith. Thanks for the input guys!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!