• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep holidays safe, experts say, concerned guns could be left in vehicles with child

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/news...cle_a90f54c0-2db8-11e1-b949-001871e3ce6c.html
By Hillary Gavan said:
Chief Deputy Coroner Lou Smit urges people to use caution when handling weapons or drinking alcohol, and to be mindful of carbon monoxide. Smit said the holidays are usually busier at his office this time of year, as drinking and driving as well as domestic violence tends to increase.

With Wisconsin's new concealed carry law, tens of thousands of people are applying for a concealed carry permit, and Smit said many of them may be receiving weapons as gifts this year.

Although there has been a lot of emphasis on not harming one's self, Smit stressed more attention needs to be given to making sure weapons are locked and away from children. Smit said he's concerned guns could be left in vehicles with children when their parents go into facilities not allowing weapons.
Here guns are conflated with CO and alcohol that are inanimate and incapable of tort. Not so "facilities not allowing weapons" that are directed by individuals susceptible of tort liability.

thieltech

Here guns are conflated with CO and alcohol that are inanimate and incapable of tort. Not so "facilities not allowing weapons" that are directed by individuals susceptible of tort liability.

english plz:shocker:

KBCraig

They should be more concerned that guns are left in vehicles while people shop where guns are banned, and might be stolen along with other Christmas goodies. Thugs love smash-and-grab in mall parking lots, and they love to find guns almost as much as they love to find gaming platforms and Air Jordans.

Last edited:
M

McX

carbon monoxide, drunks, and family fights.............let's throw guns and kids in there to appear realy politically correct, and concerned for you. They didnt even say: Merry Christmas!

Peacekeeper

I saw nothing wrong with this article. Many of us on this blog have extensive gun handling experience. But lets face it there are alot of new gun handlers out there. While many of us won't spend our money in "anti" businesses someone new to gun safety might toss their handgun under their seat in a rush at a gas station to go inside to pick up a few things and pay the bill. Kids left in the car who don't grow up around guns and hunting etc. might be courious. It only takes a few seconds for something to happen. I have three family members who expressed interest in getting their CCL. None of them have handguns right now. Two have extensive gun handling experience ... one has none. I gave each a gun vault for a christmas present. If this article helped any new gun owner think about their families safety ... good!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,

harold

Packfanatic

Lol

english plz:shocker:

Welcome to Doug's world. English is not in the vocabulary. LOL!

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Welcome to Doug's world. English is not in the vocabulary. LOL!
The 'Doug of all Dougs' sends, with Festivus greetings. "This ought to span their understandings. Thanks for the note"
Hier werden Gewehren mit CO und Spiritus verschmolzen, die leblos und von der unerlaubten Handlung unfähig sind. Nicht so " Anlagen, die nicht weapons" erlauben; das werden von den Einzelpersonen verwiesen, die von der Handlungshaftung empfindlilch sind.
Yo Here guns is conflated wif CO an' alcohol dat is inanimate an' incapable o' tort. Not so "facilities not allowing weapons" dat is directed by individuals susceptible o' tort liability otay buh-weet?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
carbon monoxide, drunks, and family fights.............let's throw guns and kids in there to appear realy politically correct, and concerned for you. They didnt even say: Merry Christmas!
Just in October there was a case of an elephant going berserk in Sri Lanka and the Rock County Coroner forgot to tell us to look out for elephants in case there's a parade.... :monkey

Badger Johnson

Yeah I look out for soccer moms texting and applying makeup (usually in vain) while driving. One nearly sideswiped our bumper while we were trying to park in front of church. Completely empty one-way street, 10:15 pm Christmas Eve service, three lanes of traffic one way and she tries to ride on top of us, squeals tires runs a red light (or was that her Rudolph-esque nose glowing?)

Kid in town was killed by someone gawking last week. Had a fender-bender, then (rather stupidly) went and stood between the cars IN the turn lane. Guy comes by gawking and swipes the car, spins it and pins her and she's with the angels. Guy said 'he felt numb'. Yeah, that helps. I don't see a call to ban morons who can't drive (the streets would be deserted). :(

Last edited:

The_Pennsylvanian

Yeah I look out for soccer moms texting and applying makeup (usually in vain) while driving. One nearly sideswiped our bumper while we were trying to park in front of church. Completely empty one-way street, 10:15 pm Christmas Eve service, three lanes of traffic one way and she tries to ride on top of us, squeals tires runs a red light (or was that her Rudolph-esque nose glowing?)

Kid in town was killed by someone gawking last week. Had a fender-bender, then (rather stupidly) went and stood between the cars IN the turn lane. Guy comes by gawking and swipes the car, spins it and pins her and she's with the angels. Guy said 'he felt numb'. Yeah, that helps. I don't see a call to ban morons who can't drive (the streets would be deserted). :(

As a professional driver in the City of Marshfield , known for its horrible drivers , I wrote a little ditty of a folk song about this a few years ago.

" Minivan Momma , you just cut me off ! Why'd you do that when you turned off in the next block ?
Minivan Momma , yellin' at your kids kids . Talkin' on yer cell-phone and paintin' yer eyelids !
Minivan Momma , you're hazardous to my health ! I think that you should put your keys back on the shelf !
Because then I wouldn't have to try , to drive down these streets and hope not to die ! ":banghead:

MKEgal

KBCraig said:
They should be more concerned that guns are left in vehicles... and might be stolen along with other Christmas goodies. Thugs love smash-and-grab in mall parking lots...
Sajuuk said:
Am I the only one who is more concerned that this article thinks it's normal to leave your KIDS in the car while you're off shopping?
+1 on both.
I guess some reporters don't think through what they write, or maybe some city officials don't think through what they say.

As for this:
Here guns are conflated with CO and alcohol that are inanimate and incapable of tort.
Not so "facilities not allowing weapons" that are directed by individuals susceptible of tort liability.
Guns, alcohol, & carbon monoxide are made to seem similar.
They are all non-living & can't do wrong on their own.
The writer thinks, as many of us do, that people who make decisions to post their establishments as "criminal empowerment zones" are doing wrong & can be held liable when things go terribly wrong.