Thread: Open Carry at Chilies

Open Carry at Chilies

One night while out with my family at a Chilies in Co Springs, I noticed that a man caught a glimpse of my .45 when we were seated across from him. This was one of my first times OC'ing so I couldn’t help but notice that he kept looking over at my firearm on my right hip throughout the 45 minutes to an hour that we were eating. I thought to myself, “He either thinks it’s cool, or he is offended”. Then as he finished his dinner, he and his lady got up to leave, and saw that he was also OC’ing.

We gave each other the nod as he left.

Cool experience. Can't say I've ever seen anyone OCing in the Springs....and boy do I look, lol.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

PlasterMan:

Do You Know Official Chilis' Company Policy Concerning Firearms Carry?

I have NEVER Asked Them, but I Figure that You might Know, seeing as to how You Patronized Their Establishment.

aadvark
    Last edited by aadvark; 12-25-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    PlasterMan:

Do You Know Official Chilis' Company Policy Concerning Firearms Carry?

I have NEVER Asked Them, but I Figure that You might Know, seeing as to how You Patronized Their Establishment.

aadvark
    I have never asked them either.
    I usually assume that if it isn't posted on the door when you walk in, then it must be okay.
    I also OC'd at Cheddar's. After a while one of the employees came and asked if I was a cop. I said, "no, just a law abiding citizen motivated to protect my family. And she thanked me for carrying.

The first few times I OC'd, I made the mistake of asking places if it was OK if I OC'd.

The reason it's a mistake is that under Colorado State Law, it's the establishment's responsibility to either post notice or tell you in person. Not yours. If you go asking, you're much more likely to be told "no" before they have the opportunity to go, "Oh. He's not a threat." Of course you're not a threat, at least not to the good guys. But if you go around asking, you'll deprive those who would say "no" if asked, the opportunity to witness and learn that for themselves.

Case in point: There's an establishment I frequent weekly. I could tell they were leery the first few times I OC'd, but after I'd OC'd there for a couple of months and got to know the staff and management, they're wondering if I'm ok whenever I don't show up! And if I CC there, I'm often asked why I'm not OCing.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Plasterman View Post
    I have never asked them either.
    I usually assume that if it isn't posted on the door when you walk in, then it must be okay.
    As my very wise father taught me when I was young, "'Tis far easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission."*

*Other than in 21+ establishments/areas, depending on the state.