Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 80

Thread: Merry Christmas to All

  1. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    49
    So is this implying that there will be legal concealed carry without a permit? I noticed someone said OC and CC inside and outside of a vehicle? I feel like it was pretty vague when talking about amending 527.020.

  2. #27
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Come on, guys. If you want an explanation Let me know bill number, section and page number. That one bill is 39 pages long. It's kinda tough scrolling through it to find the section you are asking about. I haven't had time to memorize them.
    I just copied and pasted from the link you gave us, the page that explains the bills contents. I never thought about confusion, my apologies. I have emailed my senator and representatives, now we wait anxiously on a yay or nay. Preemption enforcement is a necessity, we must get some strength behind it. Imagine the looks on faces when you say either change yor illegal ordinance or be fined! That would be so fantastic! I'm sure you would have great times if this preemption bill passes. To see all the locales you have tried for years to get to follow state law, and watching them finally do so. That would be a great achievement.

  3. #28
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Come on, guys. If you want an explanation Let me know bill number, section and page number. That one bill is 39 pages long. It's kinda tough scrolling through it to find the section you are asking about. I haven't had time to memorize them.
    Gutshot, Page 24, section 22, subsection 1....

    (22) Nothing in this section shall be construed to impose a general prohibition on the unlicensed carrying, whether openly or concealed, of a deadly weapon, including a loaded or unloaded firearm.
    Section 4. KRS 237.115 is amended to read as follows:
    (1) [Except as provided in KRS 527.020, ][B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the authority[right] of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons in any building, other than a parking structure or stadium,[on any property] owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

    I'm a little confused about the part where it says "to control the possession of deadly weapons in any building, other than a parking structure or stadium,[on any property]"

    Shouldn't a parking structure fall under the same rule as parking lots?
    And it says in any buildings. Is this saying that U.K. must allow weapons in their buildings that doesn't have the signage?

    Thanks, Comm

  4. #29
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Just got a reply from my State Rep. Tom Buford....

    I have always felt this is appropriate and I feel the current law gives this right. We have a case law in Fayette County regarding a teacher that had one in her car and the court ruled this was within the law.
    Therefore; I have no problem to codify the current law with your opinion as to the new bill. I will vote yes..

  5. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    Gutshot, Page 24, section 22, subsection 1....

    (22) Nothing in this section shall be construed to impose a general prohibition on the unlicensed carrying, whether openly or concealed, of a deadly weapon, including a loaded or unloaded firearm.
    Section 4. KRS 237.115 is amended to read as follows:
    (1) [Except as provided in KRS 527.020, ][B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Nothing contained in KRS 237.110 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the authority[right] of a college, university, or any postsecondary education facility, including technical schools and community colleges, to control the possession of deadly weapons in any building, other than a parking structure or stadium,[on any property] owned or controlled by them or the right of a unit of state, city, county, urban-county, or charter county government to prohibit the carrying of concealed deadly weapons by licensees in that portion of a building actually owned, leased, or occupied by that unit of government.

    I'm a little confused about the part where it says "to control the possession of deadly weapons in any building, other than a parking structure or stadium,[on any property]"

    Shouldn't a parking structure fall under the same rule as parking lots?
    And it says in any buildings. Is this saying that U.K. must allow weapons in their buildings that doesn't have the signage?

    Thanks, Comm
    Yes, parking structures fall under the same rule as parking lots, but now only employees are allowed to have guns in college parking facilities and weapons are prohibited everywhere else on college property to everyone. With this bill they could only control weapons in buildings and then not in parking buildings.

    The signage is not that important. They could control weapons in buildings, but not outside as they do now.

    If this bill becomes law they will have lost the authority to control weapons in open spaces and in parking lots and stadiums.

  6. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    Just got a reply from my State Rep. Tom Buford....

    I have always felt this is appropriate and I feel the current law gives this right. We have a case law in Fayette County regarding a teacher that had one in her car and the court ruled this was within the law.
    Therefore; I have no problem to codify the current law with your opinion as to the new bill. I will vote yes..
    Let's start counting. Which bill are you talking about, 280 or 290?

  7. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbale22 View Post
    So is this implying that there will be legal concealed carry without a permit? I noticed someone said OC and CC inside and outside of a vehicle? I feel like it was pretty vague when talking about amending 527.020.
    Nothing vague about it. If this bill passes 527.020 would cease to exist.

  8. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    Just got a reply from my State Rep. Tom Buford....

    I have always felt this is appropriate and I feel the current law gives this right. We have a case law in Fayette County regarding a teacher that had one in her car and the court ruled this was within the law.
    Therefore; I have no problem to codify the current law with your opinion as to the new bill. I will vote yes..
    Tom Buford is a State Senator and has no vote on this bill unless it passes the House and then goes to the Senate. Bob Damron is your State Representative. He is the man you need to talk to. The first thing is to get this bill out of committee with a favorable recommendation and Rep. Damron can't vote on that, but he may talk to some committee members if you ask him to . We need to bombard those committee member with phone calls and email, even if you don't live in their districts. It has been sent to the Committee on Local Government. Here are the committee members.




    Names, addresses, email and phone numbers can be found by going to this link and then clicking the name:

    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/house/hsemembers.htm




  9. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Posts
    62
    Emails sent to every person on this list, Thanks for the names gutshot.

    I received a reply from Rep. Arnold Simpson, he basically said he would keep my comments in mind while reviewing the bill. Not the greatest of answers but hopefully my email has made a positive impression.
    Last edited by Cgm2414; 01-21-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Update

  10. #35
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Tom Buford is a State Senator and has no vote on this bill unless it passes the House and then goes to the Senate. Bob Damron is your State Representative. He is the man you need to talk to. The first thing is to get this bill out of committee with a favorable recommendation and Rep. Damron can't vote on that, but he may talk to some committee members if you ask him to . We need to bombard those committee member with phone calls and email, even if you don't live in their districts. It has been sent to the Committee on Local Government. Here are the committee members.




    Names, addresses, email and phone numbers can be found by going to this link and then clicking the name:

    http://www.lrc.ky.gov/house/hsemembers.htm



    I did send Mr. Damron an e-mail as well when I sent the one to Mr. Buford.
    I will send e-mail to the rest of the people as well.
    Thanks for posting the names, and for the reply to my question.

  11. #36
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Nothing vague about it. If this bill passes 527.020 would cease to exist.
    280

  12. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Posts
    62
    This is my reply from Rep. Ron Crimm

    "I usually always vote for gun owners on all bills. *I will take a hard look at this, and mostly likely will support."

    Hopefully the representatives are taking a step in the right direction.

  13. #38
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,978
    The only reply I have received was from rep. Tanya pullin. She, of course, said she will vote in favor of both.

  14. #39
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    We all need to remember that many of our representatives will tell us what they think we want to hear. They say, "Sure I'll support that", thinking or knowing "I'll never have to vote on that crap bill, because it will never get out of committee. I'll tell this guy I'll support it and take credit for being gun friendly and never have to piss off the anti's by actually voting for a pro gun bill." I don't know anything about any of these people except that they are politicians and, in my book, that's two strikes against them, automatically, but you guys know your representatives better than I do.

    Our first job is to get these two bills out of committee. HB 280 has several co-sponsors, one of them is my rep. I'm proud to say, and it's probably in good shape. HB 290 has only two sponsors and therefore needs help. We need to urge our representatives to sign on as sponsors and to tell them to urge the committee members to vote it out of committee with a favorable recommendation. And we need to tell them over and over. I called my Representative today and thanked him for sponsoring HB 280 and asked him to sponsor HB 290. I also asked him to drum up whatever support he could with committee members on both committees. The sponsors of this bill are both Republicans. The House is controlled by the Dems. There will be a natural resistance for the Dems to vote a Republican bill out of committee. It would be really helpful if we could get a Dem., or two, to sign on as a sponsor. You guys with Dem. Representatives need to get to work and get them to sponsor one or both of these bills.
    Last edited by gutshot; 01-23-2012 at 09:05 PM.

  15. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgm2414 View Post
    This is my reply from Rep. Ron Crimm

    "I usually always vote for gun owners on all bills. *I will take a hard look at this, and mostly likely will support."

    Hopefully the representatives are taking a step in the right direction.


    Stay on him, he's a committee member. Don't let him find a way to vote against it.
    Last edited by gutshot; 01-23-2012 at 09:09 PM.

  16. #41
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]Stay on him, he's a committee member. Don't let him find a way to vote against it.
    Done.

  17. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]Stay on him, he's a committee member. Don't let him find a way to vote against it.
    I am doing the best I can, on the other hand I received a reply from Representative Steve Riggs' secretary which really much of a reply from her and I'm sure he will never see my actual email. I am still going to try to reach out him.

  18. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgm2414 View Post
    I am doing the best I can, on the other hand I received a reply from Representative Steve Riggs' secretary which really much of a reply from her and I'm sure he will never see my actual email. I am still going to try to reach out him.
    Many legislators never see the messages left for them, they don't have time to see them all. They have staff that summarize them and tally up the number of "support this bill" and "oppose that bill" contacts.

    Last edited by gutshot; 01-24-2012 at 09:13 PM.

  19. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Many legislators never see the messages left for them, they don't have time to see them all. They have staff that summarize them and tally up the number of "support this bill" and "oppose that bill" contacts.

    That's good to know, wasn't sure how that worked. I also would like to thank you for interpreting laws and having the patience to help me and other folks understand These bills.
    Last edited by Cgm2414; 01-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.

  20. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    3,082
    Anyone who wants to help pass our pro-gun bills this year can call 1-800-372-7181 and leave a message for your legislator. Just tell the operator "tell Representative Blowhard I'd like him to support HB 290.". You can even leave a message for several legislators. If you want to help HB 290 call the number and tell the operator you want to leave a message for all the members of the House Committee on Local Government. The message is to "move HB 290 out of committee with a favorable report."

    Do this for all three of the firearms related bills.

    HB 280 (constitutional carry) is in the the House Judiciary Committee

    HB 290( Preemption Bill) is in House Committee on Local Government
    HB 222 (Firearms Freedom Act) House Committee on Elections, Constitutional Amendments and Intergovernmental Affairs
    .

    One phone call can get them all. If we can get these bills out of committee with favorable reports, then we can start working on individual legislators for a floor vote. If we can't do that the bills are dead.

  21. #46
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Anyone who wants to help pass our pro-gun bills this year can call 1-800-372-7181 and leave a message for your legislator. Just tell the operator "tell Representative Blowhard I'd like him to support HB 290.". You can even leave a message for several legislators. If you want to help HB 290 call the number and tell the operator you want to leave a message for all the members of the House Committee on Local Government. The message is to "move HB 290 out of committee with a favorable report."

    Do this for all three of the firearms related bills.

    HB 280 (constitutional carry) is in the the House Judiciary Committee

    HB 290( Preemption Bill) is in House Committee on Local Government
    HB 222 (Firearms Freedom Act) House Committee on Elections, Constitutional Amendments and Intergovernmental Affairs
    .

    One phone call can get them all. If we can get these bills out of committee with favorable reports, then we can start working on individual legislators for a floor vote. If we can't do that the bills are dead.
    Done!

  22. #47
    Regular Member Johnburns15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lexington, ky
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Anyone who wants to help pass our pro-gun bills this year can call 1-800-372-7181 and leave a message for your legislator. Just tell the operator "tell Representative Blowhard I'd like him to support HB 290.". You can even leave a message for several legislators. If you want to help HB 290 call the number and tell the operator you want to leave a message for all the members of the House Committee on Local Government. The message is to "move HB 290 out of committee with a favorable report."

    Do this for all three of the firearms related bills.

    HB 280 (constitutional carry) is in the the House Judiciary Committee

    HB 290( Preemption Bill) is in House Committee on Local Government
    HB 222 (Firearms Freedom Act) House Committee on Elections, Constitutional Amendments and Intergovernmental Affairs
    .

    One phone call can get them all. If we can get these bills out of committee with favorable reports, then we can start working on individual legislators for a floor vote. If we can't do that the bills are dead.
    Will do!!

  23. #48
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Morehead, KY
    Posts
    62
    I just received a phone call from Representative Stan Lee's intern, He is a sponsor of HB280 so things seem to be looking up if we can get these out of committee I believe there is a good chance.

  24. #49
    Regular Member Manzanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Murray, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    40
    We are indeed winning. If you had said fifteen years ago that we'd have these bills being seriously considered, you would have been laughed at.

    As great as constitutional carry is, I see one small consequence. If this passes and, let's say my permit expires (which will be a while; I just renewed the dang thing) and I'm no longer needing one to carry concealed in Kentucky, this is going to affect my ability to carry in other states. I guess the option would be to find out which state has the cheapest non-resident permit with the most reciprocity and get that one.

  25. #50
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,978
    Why let your permit expire? Keeping your license is cheap, and no license has the reciprocity as a Ky license. It's up to 37 or 38 states that honor our license, and no other state has that kind of reciprocity. It would be outrageous to let it expire, the only reason I have one is to carry in other states. You can carry everywhere east of us and down, everywhere west of us except IL, CA, OR, and WA. Thats certainly a good thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •